Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

William Shatner

The Shat  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will His "Arrogance" Out-Weigh His Contributions To Star Trek After His Death?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

Lately, I have been hearing a lot of Shatner bashing, mainly due to his wanting to be in the new film. But, how easily people forget how much he has done for Star Trek. Not only has he been Kirk on TV and films, but has written novels and books. Even giving ideas that later became "classic scenes" in the films and episodes.

Just like it was his idea that they put a glass in-between Kirk and Spock during the death scene of Wrath of Khan. People love it, and don't know where it came from-the man that is being bashed left and right. I'm scared that people are starting to underrate the guy and forget what he has done for the franchise

I'm a big fan of the Shat and always have been. Even though he is known today for taking on some goofy roles, many people forget about the incredibly high quality work he did when he was younger. A lot of stuff he did prior to Trek and some after was really good. "Judgement at Nuremburg" comes to mind as well as the several Twilight Zone episodes he did. That was real quality work. As for Trek, he made an enourmous contribution. Who in the world doesn't know who Captain Kirk is? Even non-Trek fans know who Captain Kirk is. Even though I am in the minority here, I truly wish they could find some way for Shatner to be in the new movie. I think he deserves it and it would be the right thing to do. He doesn't necessarily have to play Kirk but perhaps some other role. An Admiral perhaps?

Lately, I have been hearing a lot of Shatner bashing, mainly due to his wanting to be in the new film. But, how easily people forget how much he has done for Star Trek. Not only has he been Kirk on TV and films, but has written novels and books. Even giving ideas that later became "classic scenes" in the films and episodes.

Just like it was his idea that they put a glass in-between Kirk and Spock during the death scene of Wrath of Khan. People love it, and don't know where it came from-the man that is being bashed left and right. I'm scared that people are starting to underrate the guy and forget what he has done for the franchise

It's not that we have forgotten what Shatner has done for Star Trek, it's his constant whining about roles he couldn't get because of Trek, how much he thinks we should kiss his a$$, how a new Star Trek movie without him can't be a success.

As for his writing books, have you noticed that they have a second author?

Some of us who have been around fandom for a while now are just tired of his actions over the years and have had enough of his whining and egomanical behavior. He treated fans like dirt for quite a while then demanded worship when he saw how much money he could make from fandom. Back in the 80's for a convention appearance he was demanding $50,000, 2 round trip first class airfare, a suite, limo service, full room service tab including alcohol and long distance for him and his companion, (wife, girlfriend, whatever) a 14 day cancellation clause for any reason not just professional commitments or illness, no signing autographs or just signing a few for a charity auction. Want to even speculate how much he wants now?

It isn't that we are bashing him it's that somew of us are fed up.

Edited by statstarter

I feel certain that Shatner's contributions will be remembered and that less will be made of his ego. Right now he seems to be on a rant about how the new film may fail without him. That and past arrogant behavior is why imo some Trek people are on his case.

He has done some very fine work as an actor as Kor points out. I love him as Denny Crane. He does some wonderful charity work. He was very effective working with Nimoy and Kelley. And he will always be a cultural icon for playing Captain Kirk. But all the complaints of many of his fellow original Star Trek cast mates amount to something too. And T.J. Hooker was not exactly Shakespeare! :P Plus STV will always annoy me. :P He does have an ego, and right now that's what's getting people annoyed. But I feel pretty sure that much of his poor behavior will fade from people's memories and that his acheivements will certainly be long remembered. :huh:

I have to agree with statstarter and trekz that Shatner's arrogance is a turn off. I don't think he should be in the movie because of how much money he'd demand for the honor - our honor.

For what they could pay him for one cameo they could probably pay the entire rest of the cast - that's what bothers me - I don't see that he's worth as much as he thinks he is. Shatner's presence will not draw people to the movies and his absence won't deter anyone.

Speaking of the Shat:

William Shatner and Mr. T Team Up for World of Warcraft

Posted Nov 21st 2007 12:01PM by Terrence O'Brien

Filed under: Audio/Video, Computers, Video Games, Celebrities, TV

Everyone figured World of Warcraft (WoW) would be successful in its own right, but no one could have imagined it would become the cultural powerhouse that it is. The massively multiplayer online game's runaway success has lined Blizzard's (the company behind WoW, Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo) pockets with boatloads of cash.

So what is Blizzard doing with this deluge of income? Marketing, of course! WoW may be popular, but it is far from reaching the saturation point. South Park episodes alone cannot sell a game.

So Blizzard has wrangled some celebrities to help hock its wares on the TV. Namely, William Shatner and Mr. T. The commercials have the painfully self-aware and ironic celebs talking about their WoW characters -- Shatner as a Shaman, and Mr. T as a night elf "mohawk," or, more accurately, warrior.

Check out the Mr. T Commercial above and the Shatner clip below. Both are also available for download on the WoW site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5AF1lPRWG8...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCzMH2SrTPM...feature=related

Another memorable performance..... :P

his arrogance will haunt him till the end. when the history channel first come out with "how star trek changed the world", patrick stewart was suppose to narroate the 3 hour long special, but during production, shatner like the little baby he is, just hounded both stewart and the discovery network until he got the part. unfortunately he got the part and started to piss and moan that frakes was allowed to narroate for not even little 3 minute segments mainly describing what were the difference's of roddenbury's visions of the TOS and TNG era's that infulenced today's modern tech. i mean when it comes right down to it, shatner is a *buttocks*, and will forever remain an *buttocks*.

I voted "other", because Shatner seems to have spent about as much time whining as working. :P I'm guessing that his contributions will eventually outweigh his ego, but by how much will depend on who writes the story.

Does that make sense? :P

Shatner should have hosted "How William Shatner Changed The World" since the entire special was based on his book "I'm Working On That". It's true, however, that he has done and said some things that people don't like. I agree that he does things that are rude, but he isn't the only Trek star to do so. I've read stories about other Trek actors demanding things before they go on stage and such, but they don't get such a huge backlash

Edited by Gamera

At one time his arrogance might have been Shatner being himself. Now, however, it has become part of his image and we not only *expect* him to be arrogant but we see the humor in it. We see this in the Priceline.com commercials, especially when he was replaced by Nimoy. We don't see Shatner and say "Boy, he is arrogant". We see him and say "Boy, what a goofball" and the goofiness outweighs the arrogance.

A couple years ago Priceline.com had a string of commercials that had both Shatner and Nimoy where Nimoy was supposedly replacing Shatner as official spokesman. That is what I was referring to.

I remember and greatly enjoyed those commercials! Both Nimoy and shatner were quite good in those spots. The look on Shatner's face each time he saw or heard Nimoy was ... priceless.!

van roy i understand what your talking about. but shather has gotten comfortable just being the priceline guy. nimoy hasn't even started one commercial yet for them.