Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Would That Be A Trek Fan?

I was just thinking, would you consider a person who likes just one Trek series and no other a Star Trek fan or just a fan of that series? In my opinion either way, you would still be a Trek fan, even if you just like one series.

But, I can see where some might say that you have to like Trek in general to be called a Star Trek fan. I don't know, just something I thought might be good discussion

Very interesting question! Would the generalization that fans of the first series (The Original Series or TOS) be the most generally acknowleded Trek fans be true? I have known a number of fans that feel that TOS is the true Trek. One would assume that fans of the longer, successful and newer series the Next Genreation (TNG) would also be considered Trek fans. Yet all the other series are Trek, and would seem to me to make their fans Trek fans. I wonder how many people truly only like one series? It seems most prefer one or two as their most favorite and then like the other in lesser degrees. And some love onything that is Trek (although those of use who saw the puppet show at the Las Vegas convention last year might draw the line there! :laugh: ) (And don't forget the animated series, which continued Trek when the was none!) My opinion would be that anyone who enjoys any of the series is a Trek fan, but would most agree with that? There's the question!

i would also think that there are different amounts of love for a show. i mean i can watch tos and tam but i like tng and ent and i love voyager and ds9.

I don't know anyone that likes just 1 Trek series and dislikes all the others. I believe that if you like Trek in any form, you are a Trek fan.

Intersting question Gamera....i would say it doesnt matter which of the shows you like,IMO ST has always been about something deeper then just a good tv show,some would say it speaks to the very core of our nature to find out if we are really alone in the universe...then again i may be talking a load of crap but thats my 10cents :laugh:

Edited by hangon

I guess I fit into the "I like only 2 Trek series and don't like the others" category.

I don't really consider myself a "real" Trekkie, but Trekkies always tell me that I am, no matter how many series I like, it makes me a Trekkie that I like two of them... all I can say is that it doesn't make any difference to people who don't know anything about Star Trek - they still say I'm a Trekkie and ask me these "What? There's more than just one Star Trek series?" - questions. :laugh:

If someone wants to call themselves a trek fan, that is their choice. It is only a title someone can give onto themselves. Do I like to watch the shows, sure. Am I willing to spend money on star trek merchandise, to a small degree if and only if I like it and I can pay for the product. Am I willing to spend money for a star trek uniform and run around as a star trek officer -- NO.

Maybe a Star Trek fan is someone who likes just one Trek and a "Trekkie" or "Trekker" is someone devoted to Trek no matter which series. For me, if it's Trek then I watch (although afterward I may wish I hadn't), so I guess I'm a Trekkie. A distinction between just a fan and a Trek devotee is needed.

I do spend money on different merchandise to build my Trek collection. But wearing uniforms and/or pointy ears may be going a bit too far. Whoa! I never thought I'd say something like that!