Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Dark Shadows - Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins

All members of the older than dirt club surely remember Barnabas Collins and the spooky soap Dark Shadows. The actor was really just an ordinary looking guy that became intensely famous for that one role - I remember him saying female fans would send in marriage proposals. I was a kid - I just liked the show.

In case you haven't guessed I'm a Depp fan and this seems like a great combination. I hope this movie gets made.

Johnny Depp's production co. has teamed up with Warner Bros. Pictures to develop a movie based on the tv show Dark Shadows.

The TV show ran for over 1,225 episodes, and was a highly atmospheric, spooky soap that featured gothic horror staples like vampires, monsters, witches, werewolves, ghosts and zombies. Depp is wanting to develop the flick as he has always been obsessed with "Dark Shadows" and had, as a child, wanted to be Barnabas Collins, the vampire patriarch of the series.

No word on a scriptwriter or director but its pretty much certain that if this goes ahead Depp will star. realmovienews

my mom is a huge Depp fan and grew up watching Dark Shadows during the original run and loves it, but doesn't think that Depp would make a good Barnabas. I was never a fan of the series, too much like a soap opera for me

I can remember running home from school in the 60's to watch

Dark Shadows came on channel 4 at 4 oclock.

it was a cool show.

Although I didn't see many episodes, I could always get caught up because the girls at school would always talk about it. :eek:

I love Johnny Depp :) , and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Barnabas Collins.

Edited by BakulaBabe

I loved Dark Shadows and I also remember rushing home to watch it. On one hand, Depp seems a bit too pretty to play Barnabas, but with makeup and his acting chops I'm sure he could pull it off. I WILL be watching this!

Oh, and thanks TUH for bringing this to our attention and for bringing up the "Older than Dirt Club." Just the image I want to project! :)

Edited by trekz

An interesting choice to play the lead role as I'm sure that they want a huge name (and Depp is indeed a huge name in the business). I watched DS too as a kid. Scared the Hell out of me.