Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Bittersweet

We just found out that my 18 year old brother and his girlfriend are having a baby. She just discovered that she is pregnant, so I am going to be a first time uncle.

Edited by Gamera

Thats going to be a tough road for them. Getting married at such a young age and already with a child. Good luck to them.

it is, but they are going to have a lot of support. Her mom has said that she will take care of the baby while they finish school. He is moving into an extra room at her house. A wedding will occur, probably within the month, and I have been asked to be the best man. I will do all I can, and try to give advice for their marriage. We come from a family that doesn't believe in divorce, unless it is needed in the Biblical sense. Meaning, no divorce is an option unless there is abuse or cheating involved.

My brother and her are both great people, so I think it can last. Both her parents and ours have been married many years, so they have a good example. Not to mention, my grandparents were married at 18 years old and stayed together until the day they died.

I wish them the best of luck.

You will like being a uncle you can spoil them

rotten and send them home. :P

Buy the really loud and noisy toys to take home.

Downside You are now a built in babysitter.

if you have never baby sitted before

do not say looking forward to it.

I speak from experince.

Being the youngest of 5.

I was the built in sitter.

The happiest couple I know (an older sibling) got married really young - didn't even have enough money to buy coffee the next morning and have now been married over forty years. They worked hard and laughed a lot - both are essential.

Speaking from personal experience, being an uncle can be an awesome thing. When your 7-year-old niece clings to you throughout all but five minutes of the church service because she hasn't seen you in so long.... you can't tell me that's not awesome. I'm smiling now just thinking about it.

Enjoy it, Gamera, be respectful of the parents, but have the fun you can with it. And best of wishes for the couple.

:P Congratulations nieces and nephews are great, sometimes better that your own kids. Easier to get rid of and they most always are glad to see you. :)

:P thanks to all again for the well wishes. Everything is coming together fairly well right now. They are going to be married the Friday before Spring Break, that way they can spend the entire spring break settling in after they come back from their honeymoon.

Right now, we are currently working on the other car (we have two) so we can give to him when he leaves. Yesterday, my mother and I were looking through old clothes and found a pretty baby dress that has never been worn that we are giving to them in case it is a girl. My brother's soon-to-be wife is going to her doctor today for the routine pregnancy check up

Tell them congratulations for me, Gamera, and Congrats on becoming an uncle. Becoming a parent, and later an uncle myself, are some of my fondest memories.

I will

We thought that she was pregnant for a couple of weeks, we found out from the doctor that she has been pregnant since January, meaning that she is four and a half weeks pregnant. The baby is due November 6th :P

Edited by Gamera

The baby is due November 6th :P

Hey, that's MY birthday!

Of course expected delivery days can be defined as an "anything but" figure, much like predictions of stock prices and temperatures and the actual number of people you made dinner reservations for. Whatever date the doctors say is the one date it *won't* be, unless birth is induced or something like that.