Sign in to follow this  
LadyNarana

2001: A Space Odyssey

OK, I consider myself a relatively intelligent person. I don't match some of the minds on this board, but generally, I understand what people are saying (except those detailed physics a while ago - that's over my head.). I've seen a fair number of movies, good and bad. Read a fair bit of scifi outside of Trek and Wars.

What's the deal with this movie? The HAL part (ultimate computer, etc.) I understood. That was about it, and that's only half the movie. Please, please, someone - give me a twenty second synopsis of what ELSE happened? Yes, I watched the whole thing. (I did, however, skip some of the music.)

I'm sure once someone says "Look, LN, you missed the point. This is it...." I'll kick myself. Thanks. <_<

Feeling-Like-An-Idiotic-Dunsel -

2001 was a story about evolution and the journey of man (a rather large theme!).

The question that 2001 was searching was how evolution began, and why. This is the reason for the black monolith however how the monolith got there and who put it there are questions that the film leaves to the audience. This is the major reason that this film is considered one of the greatest in cinema history as it involves the audience in a way that they have to search for the answers from within themselves.

The 'HAL section' of the film seems to look at the irony of modernisation and human development as we see that the computer (HAL) is actually more human than the cold and calculated human characters. There is also the issue of our own creation of life, as computers are made by man and this also discusses how life is defined, what life means.

I won't say anymore as I will let you explore the details of the film for yourself and let you come to your own conclusions.

I think if I had seen 2001 when it first came out I would have had a different feel for it. But after being used to contemporary action and quick tempo movies it didn't reach me. I liked 2010 better. I've noted that Clarke is a person that writes with a lot of descriptive detail - and this movie was loooooong on scenery. Whereas I have become a sort of bottom line person. I like movies & stories presented in unembellished details. In other words, I am the literature teachers nightmare.

I thought the meaning was a little obscure as well.

The evolution part wasn't hard to grasp; it was pretty obvious right from the apes scene, although near the end it was more vague - at least until the embryo showed up. <_< The long shots that were visually and cinematically breathtaking were fine, but did nothing to further the solid part of the plot - I admit, like UH, I'm used to a tighter movie. I can somewhat see why it's so highly rated, but I have absolutely no desire to see this movie ever again. Different strokes and all.

Thanks, TM and UH. I appreciate your feedback!

LadyNarana, I'm not sure if you consider this topic closed but here are my two cents regarding the ending of the film in case you're interested.

I thought the sequence at the end was meant to illustrate that a member of the Human Race had been chosen as an Ambassador of Humanity for the Aliens to teach the Ultimate Secret of the Universe to; Immortality.

The evolution part wasn't hard to grasp; it was pretty obvious right from the apes scene, although near the end it was more vague - at least until the embryo showed up. <_<  The long shots that were visually and cinematically breathtaking were fine, but did nothing to further the solid part of the plot  - I admit, like UH, I'm used to a tighter movie.  I can somewhat see why it's so highly rated, but I have absolutely no desire to see this movie ever again.  Different strokes and all. 

Thanks, TM and UH.  I appreciate your feedback!

No problem.

On your comment about the long shots, I don't know if you already knew this, but 2001 was filmed in Cinemascope which was fairly revolutionary at the time and allowed massive screens to completely fill your field of view in the cinema. Sadly there are not many cinemas fitted for this as it went out of fashion, but it would have really been an experience.

On the issue of the film itself and the modern films of today. 2001 is a deeply thought provoking film done on a visually epic scale that deals with basic and contempory issues that are still relevant, sadly this is unlike films films of today which have very little in the way of plot and are jampacked with effects that are not really needed to such an extent. But seeing as my favourite film is Lawrence of Arabia, with Bridge on the River Kwai and Citizen Kane just behind, you can understand why I don't think modern films are any good.

From Alterego

I thought the sequence at the end was meant to illustrate that a member of the Human Race had been chosen as an Ambassador of Humanity for the Aliens to teach the Ultimate Secret of the Universe to; Immortality.

Just one point that I think is interesting. How do we know that aliens are behind the whole thing, why not God or ourselves from the future or the universe itself...

From Alterego

Just one point that I think is interesting. How do we know that aliens are behind the whole thing, why not God or ourselves from the future or the universe itself...

I said Aliens because I don't believe Author C. Clark believed(s) in God.

From Alterego

I said Aliens because I don't believe Author C. Clark believed(s) in God.

Thats the best thing about the film, for all we know the monolith could come from anywhere and it is we as the audience who must decide rather than being told everything.

Alterego - very interesting take on the embryo scene.

I enjoy Lawrence of Arabia, and Bridge, and Citizen Kane, for that matter. I grew up watching older movies. Probably on the big screen, those shots were/are great! It loses punch in the translation to the small screen, I'm sure.

ok, now i just have to add my two cents, i seen 2010 first. then i found out it was a sequal to another movie, i fount out what movie, then rented it. i must say this was the longest, most boring movie i have ever seen, and i've seen MANY, MANY MOVIES. when the first 20 minutes showed nothing but apes, it already lost me, why on gods green earth would anyone put such a llllloooonnnnnggggg scene such as that in a movie, then the rest of it dragged out just as slow, and long as the ape scene. i love many of the movies that come out today, but i also enjoy a good thought provokeing movie, that many would find boring, but i find interesting. but this movie, just lost me after the apes. i couldnt ever bring myself to watch it again to date.

It has been so many years since I've seen 2001, probably 20 years at least. I'll have to download it and rewatch it. I do remember that I liked 2010 a lot better though.

The whole idea of the ape-men scenes in the beginning of the movie was to illustrate the awakening of human intelligence. The spark that put on the the path of being self aware. The monolith was put on earth to observe and help spark that awakening. The monolith on the moon was also put there by the aliens and buried. The idea there was if mankind ever developed sufficiently enough to actually get to the moon, we would be more worthy of actual contact. Remember, in the movie and the book, when the sunlight hit the moon monolith, it send a high frequency radio signal out toward jupiter as a signal that mankind was now a spacefaring species. If the movie was too confusing, I would suggest picking up the book. Arthur C. Clarke had much more freedom to explain what was happening there and makes the movie much more understandable.

The whole idea of the ape-men scenes in the beginning of the movie was to illustrate the awakening of human intelligence.  The spark that put on the the path of being self aware.  The monolith was put on earth to observe and help spark that awakening.  The monolith on the moon was also put there by the aliens and buried.  The idea there was if mankind ever developed sufficiently enough to actually get to the moon, we would be more worthy of actual contact.  Remember, in the movie and the book, when the sunlight hit the moon monolith, it send a high frequency radio signal out toward jupiter as a signal that mankind was now a spacefaring species.  If the movie was too confusing, I would suggest picking up the book.  Arthur C. Clarke had much more freedom to explain what was happening there and makes the movie much more understandable.

i can understand that the ape scene was showing the evolution of man, but dont you think it was just a tad bit ON THE LLLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG DRAWN OUT SIDE? :dude: they couldve done it a whole lot shorter than they did, i think.

The whole idea of the ape-men scenes in the beginning of the movie was to illustrate the awakening of human intelligence.  The spark that put on the the path of being self aware.  The monolith was put on earth to observe and help spark that awakening.  The monolith on the moon was also put there by the aliens and buried.  The idea there was if mankind ever developed sufficiently enough to actually get to the moon, we would be more worthy of actual contact.  Remember, in the movie and the book, when the sunlight hit the moon monolith, it send a high frequency radio signal out toward jupiter as a signal that mankind was now a spacefaring species.  If the movie was too confusing, I would suggest picking up the book.  Arthur C. Clarke had much more freedom to explain what was happening there and makes the movie much more understandable.

i can understand that the ape scene was showing the evolution of man, but dont you think it was just a tad bit ON THE LLLLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG DRAWN OUT SIDE? :dude: they couldve done it a whole lot shorter than they did, i think.

But this is Stanley Kubrick, you are talking about here. It's hard to argue about how he did things considering he's one of the most successful directors Hollywood has ever produced. It was his vision and that's the way he wanted it presented. It is still considered the most influential Sci-Fi film ever made and how can you argue against that?

Don't feel bad LadyNarana,that's one of my favorite films and I still don't get it.Lucky for the both of us,there are some bright people here who can clue us in.I wish I had a Hal screensaver! :dude:

I've downloaded it but can't motivate myself to watch it yet lol.

You should really go ahead and watch it. I bet you'll like it a lot. God, just thinking about these movies gives me chills.

I own the DVD's of both movies and the book 2061. I love Clarke. He's one of my absolute favorites. He's one of the few who can really make me feel the immensity of the universe, the awe and mystery, the awareness of how small we are.

"There is a message for you." Hal

2001 was a story about evolution and the journey of man (a rather large theme!).

The question that 2001 was searching was how evolution began, and why. This is the reason for the black monolith however how the monolith got there and who put it there are questions that the film leaves to the audience. This is the major reason that this film is considered one of the greatest in cinema history as it involves the audience in a way that they have to search for the answers from within themselves.

The 'HAL section' of the film seems to look at the irony of modernisation and human development as we see that the computer (HAL) is actually more human than the cold and calculated human characters. There is also the issue of our own creation of life, as computers are made by man and this also discusses how life is defined, what life means.

I won't say anymore as I will let you explore the details of the film for yourself and let you come to your own conclusions.

Thinking about the book, it seemed confusing as well, but that was my grasp on the novel... have yet to see the movie. :)

The first time I saw it I found the scenes showing the space station spinning in space etc, a little too drawn out and boring. It put me off Straus for a long time. But I knew were the the film was taking us, and I understood the meaning.

Hal 9000 I just loved him