Sign in to follow this  
ensign_beedrill

How Would You Cope?

A while ago, Prometheus posed the question, "How would you have coped as a crewman on Voyager?". Now, seven years after being stranded in the Delta Quadrant, you find yourself quite suddenly in the Alpha Quadrant and only hours, if not minutes away from Earth. How would you deal?

I don't know how I'd do. Seven years is a long time. Voyager would have become my home. The crew would have become my friends and most probably my second family. I would have a routine down. I think I'd be quite upset if my routine suddenly got shaken up. Now that I'm home, I don't have a purpose. For seven years I had a goal. For seven years, our mission was to get home. Sure, we've had a lot of detours, but the overall goal set by the captain was to get back home. All of a sudden, here we are. Now that goal which had so filled my life is gone, leaving an empty hole. Now I have to leave Voyager, my home for seven years. I have to leave the crew, who I have gotten to know over the last seven years and who have become as close as family. I don't know if I could do it.

Things change. I went away from a place for a year and a half and when I came back, things were different. I found new friends in that place, and didn't spend any time with my old friends who were still living there. There were new roads, new buildings. Some stores that I used to go to were closed down and replaced by others. I lived in the same house, but neighbors had moved away and new neighbors had come. It was the same place, and yet totally different. It was like I was a stranger in my own home. I couldn't imagine what kind of changes would happen in seven years. I would come home to something totally different and feel very much like a stranger. Sure, it would be nice to see my family and old friends again, but it would be different, and it could not possibly be as grand as I had made it up to be. See, if I was gone for seven years, dreaming of getting home, I would have created an entire scenario in my head. I would have dreamed of going home every night. But no reality can match the dreams of man. No matter what would happen when I returned home, I would be disappointed because it wouldn't be what I thought it was going to be.

I think the shock of suddenly being back home after being gone for so many years would, for me, far outweigh the shock of actually getting stranded in the first place.

What are your thoughts?

Sure things change, and they would change again. You would become used to a different routine. Besides most of the people on Voyager are Starfleet officers. Their purpose is to do what their superiors tell them. And their goal is to succede at those tasks. I can image the Maquis have some trouble though. Seven of Nine would probably become some kind of celebrity. lol. The Doctor would fight for holographic rights. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

This is a hard question. At first I would make sure that nobody has played a joke on me and we are REALLY in the Alpha Quadrant...

Then I would be glad that I finally got home. But then I would start to think about my life which I lived the past 7 years and that it will never be the same again with the same crew mates aboard the same ship (some would leave, some would get promoted or something).

But to state a common feeling: I would be more happy than disappointed.

Mrs. Captain Picard

I lived away from my hometown for many years. I never intended to come back; but its interesting the things that bring you comfort. For one real sunshine rather than an artificial environment - I also notice the feel of the air and the sound of certain birds. Yes, you may be homesick for VOY a little while but it wouldn't last long after you settled in. Then you notice the sounds of the street, certain landmarks and smells and they would bring you comfort. Then you would have a new assignment. For many VOY wouldn't have been their first home and family on a ship and probably not the last.

If nothing else, you wouldn't have to eat Neelix's cooking anymore.

If nothing else, you wouldn't have to eat Neelix's cooking anymore.

^-^;; That's certainly a plus.

But you're right. I'm sure some fresh air for once would be great. Funny, the things I take for granted. Things like fresh air, bird sounds. It'd be nice to hear some rain splashing on my roof again, and then to smell the air once the storm is over. It's one of the best smells in the world. Thanks for the fresh perspective!

I would jump off the ship, kiss the ground 1000 times, use mouthwash, and run until I get to my home and hug my family, or if they are in starfleet command then I would just go to whichever is closer.

Smell self after 7years, result > :dude:

Edited by Syperphobia

If I were middle aged, as I am now, I would cope well. The experience of my nearly 50 years has taught me that friendships forged during long periods of difficulties can last, even after the friends have separated.

The most difficult time in my life lasted about six years. I developed friendships with people going through the same challenges, and we all went through it together.

Now we live in different parts of the country, but we share a profession. When we get together

it's like old times, like we pick right up where we left off. We keep in touch, know one another's triumphs and tragedies, continue to care. :dude:

Well I think I would cope pretty well in that situation. I think I can cope well under pressure.

As we were coming down to Earth I'd make sure I wasn't dreaming. Then I'd think how great it is to be home.

If I was in my 30s or 40s or 50s and had a wife and kids I'd be really happy to see them. When we got home I would go to my family and say hello again. From then on I wouldn't take things for granted. I'd get out more and I might retire from starfleet.

If a member or members of my family were dead for some reason like a disease, a starship crash or a natural disaster like an earthquake or tornado I'd be very sad but I think I'd cope well because I had to live with the thought that I'd never get home from the Delta quadrant.

If I was single I think I'd stay in Starfleet because if I had a family I'd stay with them but if I was single I'd want to get the thrill of flying in a spaceship and have more adventures. Or I might settle down and start a family but if I was single I think I would stay in Starfleet.

When I got home I'd would keep in touch with all my friends from Voyager.

Well that was a lot.

I'd say hi to anybody I knew, and then jump right back on the next long mission I could get myself onto.

Of course, I'd keep in touch with everybody from Voyager.

I'd say hi to anybody I knew, and then jump right back on the next long mission I could get myself onto.

I had the same thought. Some of the crew (especially the younger Starfleet people intending to make a career out of the service), would probably be primed after this experience to go on long-range deep space exploration missions for long lengths of time (like Picard when he commanded the Stargazer)

You can stay gone for a long time, as long as you're sure you're going home on schedule. It was more the uncertainty of Voyager's ststus than the length of it's absence that was probably most jarring to the crew.

Well, if I were Kathryn Janeway, the first thing I'd do upon Voyager's return home is to track down the woman who is involved with Mark. I'd thank her for keeping my side of the bed warm while I was away, and let her know her services are no longer needed now that I'm home. Then, I'd grab Mark and wear him out with 7 years of catching up!!

I think it would all depend on how the things are when I come back.

If I found that my loved ones are still there, my friends and all... That they haven't forget me and all, that would be a great joy.

But if I found that most of them have died in a catastrophy...