• Forbidden Planet
    • 2001: A Space Odyssey
    • Alien (1979)
    • Blade Runner (1982)
    • The Matrix (1999)
    • Dark City

1.Metropolis

2.Forbidden Planet

3.2001:A Space Odyssey ("2010:The Year We made contact")

4.Time Bandits (one of my all time favorites)

5.Blade Runner

6.The Day The Earth Stood Still

7.The Time Machine ("both movie versions")

8."V" -"V" The Final Battle (T.V mini-series)

9.Planet Of The Apes films including the remake

Edited by LoveMalePecs1

But...the new Planet of the Apes was soooooooooo bad. I mean...wow it's bad!

Agreed...another remake of a classic sci-fi which failed big time :P

Quite frankly, Dark City (as you say) owns that over-rated action film series of The Matrix...

I'd have to agree that The Day the Earth Stood Still is my favourite science-fiction along with 2001, Blade Runner, Goddard's Alphaville and Tarkovsky's Solyaris. Like TUH, I really do look forward in getting around to seeing Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

Mmmm, am I the only one who thinks that Plan 9 is Ed Wood's version of Day the Earth Stood Still?

Quite frankly, Dark City (as you say) owns that over-rated action film series of The Matrix...

I'd have to agree that The Day the Earth Stood Still is my favourite science-fiction along with 2001, Blade Runner, Goddard's Alphaville and Tarkovsky's Solyaris. Like TUH, I really do look forward in getting around to seeing Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

Mmmm, am I the only one who thinks that Plan 9 is Ed Wood's version of Day the Earth Stood Still?

I have to agree about your view of Dark City, an oft overlooked masterpiece. The Matrix owes more then a little to William Gibson -who is the spiritual author of The Matrix as far as I'm concerned. The Matrix was also diminished by inferior sequals, and Dark City stands on its own. Alex Proyas, who directed Dark City (as well The Crow and I, Robot) said that he drew much from Fritz Lang's Metropolis as far as his insperation went.

I've never seen Alphaville (good luck finding it at the local Blockbuster) and might have to just give in and fork out $34.99 to see it just like I did to see the original "Solaris". I still like the George Cloony version better as it sticks closer to Lem's novel.

I'm not sure what Plan 9 represents other then a true measure of one man's hubris. Just recently Plan 9 was released with an audio-track featuring Mike Nelson of Mystery Science Theater 3000 fame and it is hysterical.

Hard choice, but i have to pick Alien, probably the one of the best movies yet.

Mind if I ask why you chose "Alien" over the others?

The Matrix is by far the best movie on that list.

Mind if I ask what it is about The Matrix which makes it, in your opinion, the best science fiction film of all time?

Edited by Validus

I know everyone else did, but I didn't hate the new Planet of the Apes film. I agree, the other humans shouldn't have been able to talk as the main character did, but I didn't hate the ending. I understand why Tim Burton chose to change the ending. It's because everyone knows the end of Planet of the Apes, even if they haven't seen it before and he wanted to shock audiences with a twist like the original movie did when it was first released.

The stories are completely diffferent, but I didn't hate it. I'm not saying it's as good as the original, no way it is. But there are worse movies in the world that are more horrible than this.

I heard Burton's POTA was based on the novel, more so than the original. Any truth to this?

Planet of the Apes was based on a novel? My understanding is that it was written by Rod Serling.

It's a novel written by Pierre Boulle, published in 1963...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_the_Apes

I read it quite a few years ago, and as I recall, it was pretty good. I don't remember it well enough to say which POTA movie was closest to it though.

Hard choice, but i have to pick Alien, probably the one of the best movies yet.

What makes "Alien" your favorote?

My ordering of the list:

1. Forbidden Planet. Because of its Trekesque style.

2. 2001: A Space Odyssey. Saw it 1st time while in Germany.

3. Alien. Scariest of the bunch.

4. Dark City. Great story!

5. The Matrix This a good film till the sequels spoiled it for me.

6. Blade Runner Didn't see it for 1st time till years after it released, felt very dated by then.

7. Metropolis. Still haven't seen it. :blink:

according to IMDB, you are correct and the new film is closer to the ending in the book

Click here, it is the last fact said on the page

I read Boulle's book - I don't know where the person writing that got their info and granted it has been a few years but I remember the ending because it "got" me;

I really thought the ending to Burton's version was one of the worst film endings I've seen -

Ya know...I was sure that this poll would be pointless, like most polls, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see that so many people consider Metropolis (1925) the greatest science fiction film of all time. What surprises me the most is that as many people have seen it as the poll suggests...after all this isn't a film that is (or will ever) be shown on regular television. Even TCM to the best of my knowledge never shows silent films, much less silent and foreign films.

The Matrix seems to resonate with a lot of people even though it was diminished by two inferior sequels. Anyone care to speculate as to why?

Planet of the Apes was based on a novel? My understanding is that it was written by Rod Serling.

Rod Serling wrote the script for the screen adaptation but, yes, the original story was written by someone else.

Metropolis was a classic. Not many people know this but it was a German movie.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

As a sidenote:The Beast Master was also based on a novel turned into a film and 2 sequels followed before a series started and that also lasted just 3 years.

Well, I'm really not surprised that you'd like a film with a bare-chested Mark Singer running around. :P

I voted for Blade Runner. I always watch it whenever it's on TV. Someday, I should buy the DVD.

From the list, I've only seen ALIEN and The Matrix. Out of both, ALIEN wins hands down.