Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Current Rumor: Trek XI To Be A Reboot

IESB's Robert Sanchez is reporting today some inside info on the upcoming Star Trek XI to be produced by J.J. Abrams for a 2008 release.

Any chance of William Shatner making an appearance in Star Trek XI ? "Absolutely not," an unnamed studio source told the site "This is not just another Trek movie but instead a total reboot, we will see things that are similar to what is known in the Trek Universe but we will not be held to every aspect of the last 40 years. We are going to introduce Star Trek to a whole new generation and many more generations to come. We have total faith that J.J. and company will take Trek to a whole new level. Trek has been going downhill for the last 10 years and if we expect it to be around 20 years from now we will have to take some bold steps that might be controversial at first but we are sure to bring new fans to the dying franchise."

Asked about the existing fans of Trek and if they would like the direction the new Trek is headed towards, the source said "Trek fans were not able to keep the last show (Enterprise) on the air and we are looking on bringing over Alias and Lost fans and if the old Trekkies like the new movie great, if not too bad. We have to boldly go were no Star Trek has gone before."

This information is preliminary, of course, and entirely rumor.

In other words, screw the fans. I don't like this guy at all, even if all of this is a rumor. If they want to reboot, fine, but not to take fans in consideration? How dare they!

IESB's Robert Sanchez is reporting today some inside info on the upcoming Star Trek XI to be produced by J.J. Abrams for a 2008 release.

the source said "Trek fans were not able to keep the last show (Enterprise) on the air and we are looking on bringing over Alias and Lost fans and if the old Trekkies like the new movie great, if not too bad. We have to boldly go were no Star Trek has gone before."

This information is preliminary, of course, and entirely rumor.

In other words, screw the fans. I don't like this guy at all, even if all of this is a rumor. If they want to reboot, fine, but not to take fans in consideration? How dare they!

I'll bet the source is Brannon Braga via telephone (can't you just picture Rick Berman in the background, snickering and egging Braga on!) :tribble:

Edited by gul_nodrog

Here's the Trek XI Blog Report on this topic.

http://stxi.blogspot.com/2006/08/paramount...ce-trek-to.html

Personally, we have no idea who's saying this. And as the blog points out, all of the writers have said they plan to respect canon while still making a movie that a non-fan can enjoy. There's even a report on the blog that Kurtzman and Orci (who will be writing Star Trek XI) are encouraging fan input for Transformers. So I don't think they have any intention of ignoring Star Trek fans.

All the rumors get annoying and can be proven wrong. After all, it was rumored that Nemesis would be good.

Well, I was reading over at trekbbs, that this "studio source" is a actually some internet blogger trying to stir up the pot.

Fortunately, this report conflicts with basically everything Abrams, Kutrzman, and Orci have said to date. I think what we're most likely looking at is Kirk's first mission on the Enterprise (which I read somewhere).

The only thing that could potentially anger some fans would be the rearranging of the crew to the more familar TOS set up which was not in place when the show began (i.e. Sulu is physicist, Dr. Piper instead of Dr. McCoy, No Chekov, Gary Mitchell, Kelso and Dehner (wait, would she be there?). That and the uniforms will probably not match the pilot episodes.

I don't think that Dehner would be there. I believe she was only supposed to be along for that one mission.

Well, hola there chicos. I hate to say "I told you so" but I was always one of the cinics who said that the next movie wouldn't be anything spun off from the other series and crews. Only too often you hear fans on the net blagging away about how the next film would involve members of other crews; fantasy stories invloving Kirk, Picard, Sisko and Janeway, joing forces etc etc. The francise died in the arms of Enterprise and Archer, in the realms of week by week serial Trek. And although the fourth series was a fine and enjoyable attempt to rekindle the magic of the Trek Universe, attempting to lure in new and old fans alike, and keep the francise's head above water, it was alas, not enough to get a fifth series. It seems that for now, a weekly series has no appeal. And the characters that we all loved to trek through space each week have just passed their sell by date. To bring a new audience to the world of trek, we indeed need to start afresh with a new crew, new possble ship, and a new bold storyline taking us somewhere we haven't gone before; where the general public will be willing to shell out the price of a cinema ticket to watch a film that will entertain them and they can understand and tell their friends about - which makes any new film a success worthy of a sequal; and something that will unfold in a manner that brings it bang up to date for the 2006 generation.

Well, if anything basically confirms that this rumour is not true, its that the first treatment for ST XI has just been delivered to Paramount. The circle for this movie is also very small, basically Abrams, Lindelof, Burk, Kurtzman and Orci. I'm thinking that the rumour that this rumour is just coming from some blogger is increasingly likely.