Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Archer married

We've had the all American stud

The bald gentleman

The black man

And the woman

Why no married captains? Would that not put a twist on his character? Each episode could have ended with him reporting home to his wife.

Don't do this to the female fans :P

But to be serious. As Trip said to Jon in Silent Enemy: "Long distance relationships never work. And this is a long as you can get."

Therefore being married as a captain and "reporting home" seems hard to work to me.

* A married male captain would not work for the female viewers. He would then be "unobtainable."

* As Trip said to Archer: "Long distance relationships never work. And this is a long as you can get." How very true. It would not only be long distance, but also long duration. These missions last for years, and that would be a strain on the best of relationships.

* If the captain were married, there wouldn't be the possibility of romantic involvement with anyone-aliens, colonists, etc.-unless TPTB wanted the captain perceived as promiscuous and unfaithful, and that would probably alienate many female viewers. If I had a husband galavanting among the stars, jumping into bed with various species, when he got home, you can rest assured that his butt would be in quarantine for about a month to make sure he was clean.

I agree that a married captain would never work.. However it would be an interesting twist if he was married, but decided to leave his wife because of the mission..

I agree with all points but I'm gonna play devil's advocate (my spelling in aweful) and though some thoughts out.

Janeway was engaged. So my guess is there are married captains. For alien relationships, there is the entire senior staff. Tuvok was also married. And women can have crushes on married men.

And...What if the married couple is a pair of Starfleet captains?

Riker is also married and a Captain. I don't know if it would work for the show though. Lots of disapointed female fans.

I don't know why but I HATE this idea of married captains :P :lol: :lol: :P

Archer/another captain married... That does not suit to a man who leads a starship which explores the totally unknown galaxy. He would not have taken his wife with him because he would have thought there was too much danger for her. And then it makes no sense to be married when we never see the wife :P

Mrs. Captain Picard

For the time that ENT takes place, i don't think it would work, but during the time when TNG takes place, sure! If the mission was one that did not involve being on the front lines of battle, then why not? The Enterprise - D had families, there is no reason why Picard could not have been married in this case, but he chose not to.

During war time of times when there are other hazards, no, but in TNG time, i would have gone as a wife if i have the chance!

When I was reading about some long range planning for "actual" manned space missions the idea of sending married couples was discussed. Both would be working members of the crew (and in early missions serve more than one function).

If Star Trek were really trying to be realistic /practical I think they would have married couples as part of the crew. Remember that classic episode when T'Pol brought up the subject of Risa as a means of "reducing tension". We're supposed to believe that Star Fleet officers and crew gladly go months or years without "reducing their tension"? There is a practical side to sending couples on missions.

However, single Captains represent TV ratings ploys not reality. Married characters just aren't as attractive as single ones.

Agreed. For me as a female fan I wouldn't be very happy seeing "my" captain married.

But in real life women need men and vice versa not only because of the physical aspect but also for the emotional backup especially when being a long time away.

Therefore the concept of having families with them like in TNG, DS9 and VOY (see Naomi Wildman) seems logical and necessary to me.

Thats why I always wanted to get Janeway and Chakotay together. Facing decades for the journey home and staying alone only because of Starfleet protocols didn't make sense to me.

Janeway isn't that attractive to men/fans, isn'ts she? :P And Beltram, hm... His fans might have some problems or would have been the romantic factor be more important?? But considering the way Beltram reacted at Fedcon last year I think maybe the writers didn't let them become a couple because of antipathy between the actors.

I'm torn. One the one hand I think unmarried is best because I don't want Archer distracted from his responsibility to the ship but on the other hand there are many married modern day Shuttle Captains so having Archer married would bring this series closer to the present time. Well, a big war is between here and then so that factors also. I believe Archer is secretly (and not so secretly) tortured over the death of his dad, (I think when the details of his dads death are revealed we are going to be shocked ;-) so imo, being unmarried better suits the situation he is in.