Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

A Geico Commercial Question

I have always wanted to know what the Geico Gecko ment when he was talking about free pie and chips in this commercial. Since I'm not British, I don't have a clue about what a pie with chips is. I know that chips are sometimes french fries, but what does that have to do with pie?

It is an English thing. There are pies that have meat in them. One pie is called of the Shepard's Pie. Some are good, but there some you just have grow in England to enjoy.

Edited by Odie

It is an English thing. There are pies that have meat in them. One pie is called of the Shepard's Pie. Some are good, but there some you just have grow in England to enjoy.

You don't have Shepard's Pie in the States? It's pretty common in Canada. You guys in the US have stuff like pot pies (chicken, beef, etc.) though, don't you?

Gamera, you're right that french fries are called chips in Britain and in other countries as well. When I was growing up it was common to call them chips in Canada until advertising by McDonald's, etc. only referred to them as fries which changed the reference amongst younger people to the point that most people now call them fries here too. In Britain, potato chips are usually called crisps I believe. Of course my knowledge of British terms comes mostly from watching Coronation Street.

Some parts of the states, but not all. It really depends on which part of the country and the culture they live in. For me I growing up next to Canada I had it all the time. Even though we have pot pies the expression having, "pie and chips" is not something that you would hear in the states. In fact, I never had chips (French fries) with pot pies.

Side note, my British terms comes from watching the BBC when I was a kid that come from Toronto. I still don't understand British humor very much. :laugh:

They do make pot pies - Marie Calendar's in the frozen food section, and there is a casserole people sometimes make called Shepherd's pie but it's not in pie form. But, I too wondered about pie and chips - thanks for clearing that up.

I keep hearing Pie and Chips, and I think "Pizza and French Fries? What the...?" but then, I'm in the Pizza industry, so when I hear Pie it's either French Silk or Pepperoni.

What a coincidence. I call my sausage "banger" too.

and he Boldly Went where so many have gone before LOL

I assumed it was sheppards Pie as well, see i'm not too sure how Canda breaks up but each area of the USA has rally its own cuisine, In the Burgh Perogie;s are really big, but I bet outside of Western PA not as common, also up here where I live lots of good little italian Places, now my parents have none in Florida, the Closest to true italian they get is Olive Garden

I think I have eaten Shepherd's Pie before. A long time ago when I was an undergraduate they served something called Shepherd's pie with some regularity in the cafeteria. I think it was the undergrad years. I know it was in a cafeteria. That is why I say I think I have had it, because it was cafeteria food.

Ground beef, onions, corn (sometimes greenbeans and carrots) covered with mashed potatoes (sometimes with cheese topping). That is shepherd's pie.

And they do have some Italian restaurants in Florida :laugh:

I bet they don't serve "gator tail" in PA.

They told me it "tastes like chicken" to get me to try it

"yeah" I said "a rubber chicken"

Ground beef, onions, corn (sometimes greenbeans and carrots) covered with mashed potatoes (sometimes with cheese topping). That is shepherd's pie.

Yeah, I have had it.

MMMMM! Yes I've had it, in Ireland, England and in Chicago. Had some very tasty Shepherd's pie in London at a pub down the road from the Glouchester Square stop. In Chicago have had it at an Irish pub on Lawrence Ave. and at place downtown called the Elephant and Castle on Adams.

According to Wikipedia Shepherd's Pie is a traditional British dish with a bottom layer of minced (ground) lamb (hence Shepherd's Pie) covered with mashed potatoes and (often) a layer of cheese. Many people prefer to make it with minced ground beef. A pie made with beef is properly called a cottage pie. A similar dish made with fish instead of meat is called a fisherman's pie.

In North America Shepherd's Pie is usually a layer of beef, a layer of corn and a layer of mashed potatoes. Peas are sometimes substituted (or added) for corn. Cheese is often added on top.

I'm getting hungry! :laugh:

I assumed it was sheppards Pie as well, see i'm not too sure how Canda breaks up but each area of the USA has rally its own cuisine, In the Burgh Perogie;s are really big, but I bet outside of Western PA not as common, also up here where I live lots of good little italian Places, now my parents have none in Florida, the Closest to true italian they get is Olive Garden

I doubt there is any area of Western Canada (at least - probably in the east as well) where you couldn't get perogies. In Winnipeg we have a restaurant famous for its perogies called Alycia's. One of the things it's famous for was the late John Candy used to have their perogies shipped to him in LA.

:laugh: perogies! :borg2: *Massive drool* I must go to the store and get some. They are very popular in Buffalo.

Perogies comes from Eastern Europe. They are almost like ravioli, but instead of cheese or meet there is mash potato and cheese. You can serve fried or boiled. You can have it as side dress or main dress.

:drool: perogies! :drool: *Massive drool* I must go to the store and get some. They are very popular in Buffalo.

Perogies comes from Eastern Europe. They are almost like ravioli, but instead of cheese or meet there is mash potato and cheese. You can serve fried or boiled. You can have it as side dress or main dress.

My husband and I used to live in Riverhead, Long Island (New York), and there was a deli across the street from us that had fresh perogies. OMG they were so good :drool: that we had them almost every week! We fried them and had veggies on the side. :drool:

Shepard's pie sounds delicious. I love lamb! And now I know what "pie and chips" means! :tribble:

Mmm... Shepherd's Pie... Ever since I inctroduced it to my woman and her family, they can't get enough of it. We eat it at least once a week.

Now, if only I could get them into stuffed quahogs...

KFC has this new commercial that sounds like the "Southern" version of Shepherd's pie - mashed potatoes, corn, fried chicken tenders, gravy & cheese. How convenient, all your cholesteral for the week in one serving. :tribble: