Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Naming Children?

How do you feel about naming a child after a parent - such as Jr. or the III etc. I actually have the same name as my mother - when is less common than males being named after their father. I personally hate it. I am very independent and I like the idea of having my name be unique to me. It is even more confusing now that I have to sign things with her and women don't have the benefit if being a Jr. This also meant I had a nickname (shortened variant of my real name) to tell us apart. Now, I'm two different people -away from the family people address me as my real name. My family uses my nickname.

One time one of my family members called when I lived in Virginia and asked for me by my nickname and my roommate told them nobody by that name lived there. Fortunately she caught herself.

I know naming the first son after the father is a big deal to some people I guess I am just biased by how I have personally felt about it.

I like the fact that parents would want to name thier children after a family member. My dad is a II and I was supposed to be a III, but if I was named after my dad it would have really been confusing seeing as though my dad and granddad have the same name. I want my first born son to be named after me or my dad, but hey that's me.

My mom, and the three of us kids don't like the idea of naming a child in such a way that they are a Jr., II, III(heck I was in class with someone who was a VII). I just think that a child should have a different name. But we do have similar names: My brother's first and middle names are in honor of our great grandfathers. Mine and my sisters are at first glance nothing like our mother and father's...but, both of us have first names that have something to do with our mom's name, and our middle has to do with our dad's name. OK, mine: My mom's nickname became my first name, and my middle is part of my dad's first name. My sister:Firstname-first three letters are the same as my mom's, and middle name-first three letters are the same as my dad's. All three of us love our names, and the meaning behind our names(you know how eachname has a meaning in the language it originated from?)

Personally I think it is ok to have the child have the parent's first name as a middle name. That'd be ok.

Our daughter's name is a combination of her two Grandma's names. The first name of my mom and the last name of M's mom, those to initials are J. M. = Jem. Coincidentally, my first name initial is J and of course M's first initial is M.

I don't like it myself. I think everyone deserves their own name. The closest we've come is my daughter and mom have the same middle name.

I just had a son, and my wife named him after me, but reversed the first and middle names, so he

wasn't a junior, but carried my namesake. I consider it a great honor bestowed upon me by my wife.

My husband is a Jr, but rarely uses the JR part. His dad is William Edward, but goes by Bill and my hubby goes by Ed, but his folks call him "Eddie" and i HATE that.

most of the time i call him "Edward"

our son is NOT a III. But our daughter's middle name was his grandmother's :biggrin:

Stardate:213567.9

I dont have a problem with it.When I was born I was originaly gonna be a III but my dad's friend's son was murdered a day before I was born and I was named after him.I consider it an honor.

The point I was making it that I have the exact same name as another person in the same small town I live in. I make sure I bank at a separate bank and go to a different doctor's office. One time I did go the same doctor's office and they pulled my mom's file. That could have scary implications. Then I can never go by the name I want to be called when I'm around my family

In your case I can see the problem being in a small town and all.If it bothers you so much why dont you have it changed?

In your case I can see the problem being in a small town and all.If it bothers you so much why dont you have it changed?

That wouldn't undo all the years I've hated having the same name as another person. The point I was making is that I have the exact same name -while others were posting threads about middle names and combination names etc. Its just not the same thing.

I am not talking about living in a small town - I'm talking about growing up with a name that makes you unique.

That wouldn't undo all the years I've hated having the same name as another person.  The point I was making is that I have the exact same name -while others were posting threads about middle names and combination names etc. Its just not the same thing.

I am not talking about living in a small town - I'm talking about growing up with a name that makes you unique.

My husband had the exact same name as his father and hated it. He changed all 3 of his names when his step father adopted him. Fortunetly he was pretty young. I agree that every person is unique and should have a name that reflects that uniqueness.

TheUnicornHunter, I can sympathize with you. I have the exact name as my mother. She always went by her first name only. When I was young, she insisted that I be refered to by both my first and middle names to avoid any confusion, and to avoid the Little/Big thing. When I moved away from home for school, I used only my first name. Since I moved back home, some people refer to me by my first name, some by both. There's never was much confusion, and now that she's passed on, there's no confusion.

I never saw it as an identity issue. She was she, and I am me -- two distinct personalities. A name doesn't make the person, the person does.

TheUnicornHunter, I can sympathize with you. I have the exact name as my mother. She always went by her first name only. When I was young, she insisted that I be refered to by both my first and middle names to avoid any confusion, and to avoid the Little/Big thing. When I moved away from home for school, I used only my first name. Since I moved back home, some people refer to me by my first name, some by both. There's never was much confusion, and now that she's passed on, there's no confusion.

I never saw it as an identity issue. She was she, and I am me -- two distinct personalities. A name doesn't make the person, the person does.

I am sorry for your loss. I must admit after I started this post that very idea occurred to me and I decided there are worse things than having the ladies at church jokingly call me "jr".

I am a Jr,though not my father's first son.There are times I've wished I had a different name.My name isn't very 'strong' sounding,not like "John" or "David".Its Freddie.I hate that.And,most times people spell it with a Y as in Freddy.And,I hate Fred as well,so there's no sense in my shortening it.If I ever have a son,and after raising my two nephews I can't imagine wanting to put myself through that again...(shudder),he will defenitely not be named Freddie. :bow:

I have a cousin who has the same first and middle name as me-just a different last name. I was around first, so when the family gathers, I'm Colleen and she's Kelly, to avoid confusion. That same aunt had a baby boy a few years after my cousin Kelly was born and gave him the same first and middle name as one of my brothers! Having someone else in my family with the same name doesn't bother me, but my mom was a little peeved at my aunt. "Why can't she think of her OWN names for her kids!!"

My sister has the exact name as her sister-in-law, and they live in the same town. They are confused constantly at doctor's offices, the hospital, the post office, the pharmacy, which ticks off my sis. Her sis-in-law goes by her first name, and my sis goes by her middle (which she's done her entire life, as she's named for our mother), so family gatherings aren't difficult. But, of course, this could be very dangerous! (especially at the pharmacy, etc.) She's switched doctors and so forth, but the other woman is a nurse, so everyone in the medical community knows her and confuses their names anyway.

Another point with names - I had a student once whose full Christian name was Katy Jane. It was cute when she was six, but it's not cute anymore. I had another one who was William Robert - he turned into Billy Bob against his will. I know a kid named for Superman (Not Clark. Kal-El), a Bill Bailey (music, anyone?), a Chris Columbus (not the director), and other similar names. I used to teach elementary school - teasing is a part of growing up, but why give them more ammunition?

I am a third, third child, a third after my name, but officially, I do not like to write it on anything and just put my middle name... Does it really count if I am a third if I have a different middle name, this was a contemplation with my family.

Another point with names - I had a student once whose full Christian name was Katy Jane.  It was cute when she was six, but it's not cute anymore. I had another one who was William Robert - he turned into Billy Bob against his will.  I know a kid named for Superman (Not Clark.  Kal-El), a Bill Bailey (music, anyone?), a Chris Columbus (not the director), and other similar names.  I used to teach elementary school - teasing is a part of growing up, but why give them more ammunition?

I know this is off-topic and I apologize in advance, but I have wanted to make this point since this thread started. I happen to have a name which is very easily "morphed" into something else and was the source of endless teasing during my school years. In addition, it is very easily mis-prounounced. I don't recall any of my teachers throughout the years pronouncing it correctly on the first day of school, sometimes I went through the whole school year with my name being mis-pronounced just because they couldn't get it right no matter how many times I corrected them.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with unusual names. But if you're going to give a child an unusual name, please make sure the spelling is such that it is obvious how it is to be pronounced. The school years are difficult enough without the added burden of having your name mis-pronounced by teachers and teasing from peers about your name.

I am a third, third child, a third after my name, but officially, I do not like to write it on anything and just put my middle name... Does it really count if I am a third if I have a different middle name, this was a contemplation with my family.

They can call you Trip - there's where it's from Trip for triple - he's the third.

Technically I guess middle names are supposed to be the same but who makes these rules?

Both my Parents are Deaf so my wife and I had to pick names that they could both say and people could understand them, so we picked Amy and John.

Amy was easy enough and John is my Dad's name so that was easy, Amy's middle name is Louise the same middle name as my wife, and John's middle name is Luc after you know who. :lol:

There are so many good names you could come up with,why name a child after yourself? ^_^

Trying to be immortal or something?

I am not black,but have lived in a predominately african-american rural community most of my life(attended largely black schools,attend an AME church!,etc)...I like the way black women name their kids... :hug:

They just think up something that sounds unique and cool and go with it!

I think my kids will be called LaRhonda,or Moequisha,or something!Yeah!!! :lol:

I have no problem with people naming their children after themselves, my middle name is Mark. Mark is my dad's first name. I don't plan on naming my son after me if I one day have children.

I'm not kidding at all when I say this but I have decided the perfect name I have seriously chosen for my son the day I have one. My last name is Pickren, Pickren is kind of like Picard. So I've decided to name my son John Luke Pickren, the American version of the name Jean Luc. It would work because my mom is a Beatles fan and the name John would also refer to John Lennon and Luke would also refer to Luke Skywalker, which I'm also a big fan of Star wars.

Yes I'm a nerd, but I don't know if I will even have kids since I'm 22 years old and I don't even have a girlfriend now, I'm running a litttle behind :assimilated:

I don't believe in naming a child after a parent.

I don't believe in giving the child the first name of any living relative at all.

I do not have a problem with giving the child a middle name after a parent or a relative though.

I believe that each person is an individual and that their name should be their own, and have no expectations as "Johnny will be just like his Daddy". The child should be just like themselves.

Me and my Girlfriend just had this discussion, and I think if you name you child after you, you are having an Egotrip

now If we ever have a child we have the names for it, Opps for a Boy, Whoops for a girl

I've decided to name my son John Luke Pickren,

Your kid is going to be the subject of a lot of teasing.

It would work because my mom is a Beatles fan and the name John would also refer to John Lennon

Good point. Whenever I meet someone named John, I immediately think of John Lennon.......... :assimilated:

:P I used to be with someone who could find a way to find a horrible tease with any name you liked.

He chose to name one of his children Kelly. I was amazed, because smelly kelly is an easy taunt for children. :assimilated:

SNL did an excellent skit over this years ago where the husband was very sensitive about his name, and his wife and he were trying to figure out a name for the child she was expecting.

It turns out his name was

Click For Spoiler
johnny asswipe
Edited by Madame Butterfly