Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Could you send your best friend to his death?

If your best mate for years was also your chief engineer, could YOU send him up a burning turbo shaft full of radiation, to save the ship?

As a side thought. Is the job of Captain the safest on board a ship because you are not expendable like anyone else?

That reminds me of that submarine movie with Matthew McConaghey (can't spell his name). That was the question his CO asked him when he asked why he wasn't promoted.

The point, I don't think you'd ever get promoted to Captain until you'd shown in other command decisions that you were capable of doing just that.

I believe this was part of the bridge officer's test Deanna Troi had to take. During the simulation, she had to make a decision for the good of the ship. In this case, it meant sending someone to his death in order to save the ship.

When you sign up for Starfleet, you know the risks going in. The risk of death is always just around the corner, and if you're in command, you must be willing and ready to send someone around that corner should the situation warrant.

Stardate:213570.6

I would do it.After all its the logical solution."The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one"

Stardate:213570.6

I would do it.After all its the logical solution."The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one"

I have an issue with that "logic," but I agree with the general principal. I don't know if I could - I'd like to think so, but I don't know unless I'm in the situation. Best friend or no, I think I'd have a tough time sending anyone to their death.

I could do it without a thought, if i don't make him do it everybody dies.

I would be able to do. I believe that in order to reach the rank of captain that experience and training would help me make that decision but I would probably still be visiting a counsellor about it later.

What if it was a family member such as a spouse or a child and it was save them or save the crew? I think there was an episode of ENT that dealt with someone that had to make that decision; and there was the DS9 episode with Worf and Jadzia. Personally, I couldn't let my child die which is why I'd never be an officer.

I dont care if someoe would order me to my death, but I'd never be able to actually order someone else to their death.

Yes, if it means that if I don't do it, he'll die anyway, with the rest of the people on the ship...

I dont care if someoe would order me to my death, but I'd never be able to actually order someone else to their death.

What if the anti-matter containment was about to go, thus the ship would explode... and your best friend is the only one quallified to enter the radiation flooded room to eject the anti-matter pods and bypass systems to dump the core as well? What if it was send him to do it despite the fact it'd kill him... or let the ship explode?

Probably, if it was unavoidable, then I would. But only as a last resort.

My sentiments exactly..It would have to be the very last option.

Commanding a starship is often the loneliest job in the universe.You cannot afford to have friends amongst the crew,really.And if it meant saving my ship/crew,yes,I would order a friend to go up the burning jefferies tube,or whatever.Just look at how tortured Chris Pike was in the Cage.The center seat takes its toll something fierce.It'll make an old man/woman out of you real quick.