Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

9/11 theme turning away viewers?

Greetings, all! B)

I've a friend who's not a big Trekkie, but he did love VOY and enjoyed the TNG movies. He tried giving ENT a go since VOY's over. He told me, just last night, that he won't be watching ENT anymore becuase of the "Expanse" story arc and how it mirrors 9/11. Part of his reason for not liking the story arc was becuase he lives in Maryland, near Washington DC, thus 9/11 had a big impact on him.

I was just currious, do you know anyone who stopped watching ENT for similar reasons?

I HAVE RELATIVES THAT LIVE IN MARYLAND, BUT DON'T KNOW THAT THEY GAVE UP WATCHING ANY STARTREK AT ALL.

I stated in a previous post that it depends on how they address. If they follow the Hollywood mantra of America is evil and we deserved what we got - then I'll definitely stop watching it.

I have to add I find it so ironic that Hollywood is so opposed to American military action but they would be a major terrorist target.

Greetings, all! B)

I've a friend who's not a big Trekkie, but he did love VOY and enjoyed the TNG movies.  He tried giving ENT a go since VOY's over.  He told me, just last night, that he won't be watching ENT anymore becuase of the "Expanse" story arc and how it mirrors 9/11.  Part of his reason for not liking the story arc was becuase he lives in Maryland, near Washington DC, thus 9/11 had a big impact on him.

I was just currious, do you know anyone who stopped watching ENT for similar reasons?

That's just silly. How old is your friend?

I grew up 15 minutes from D.C., I have friends that work at the Pentagon and I have friends that lost loved ones in the WTC. There is no connection between 9/11 and The Expanse, not even a coincidental one. If your friend chooses to skip watching Enterprise for this reason then he or she didn't really like Enterprise in the first place.

I would be curious to know his or her analogy that compares the 2 events, the real tragedy of 9/11 and the fictional attack from a race of aliens with a super laser kind of weapon.

I don't see any connection between 9/11 and The Expanse. In the expanse the earth was attacked by an alien race that was told that humanity would be responsible for their annihilation in the future, I don't see any similiarites to the WTC attack.

I also don't see any simularities between 9/11 and "The Expanse".It seems he's using that as an excuse to dislike Enterprise.which is fine,its his loss but if he does not like it then so be it.Plenty of us still do like Enterprise very much.

I think trying to read 9/11 into The Expanse is reading too much into it. If the Xindi attacked 2 buildings and destroyed them killing thousands of people then Ok, there's a connection. An alien cutting a swath through the ground and killing millions of people has no connection with terrorists destroying the WTC or flying a plane into the Pentagon. The only possible connection I can see is that innocent people are killed in both.

That being the case how aboutthe connection Shockwave with 9/11? An entire colony was destroyed there, civilian colonists died in that one just like civilians died in the WTC. Why not protest at that? Or what about in The Expanse part 1 when Acher comes around behind the Klingon ship an blows it up, Military Klingons were killed there yet no protest at that.

It's a Sci-Fi T.V. show, he shouldn't read too much into things.

I also don't see any simularities between 9/11 and "The Expanse".It seems he's using that as an excuse to dislike Enterprise.which is fine,its his loss but if he does not like it then so be it.Plenty of us still do like Enterprise very much.

Stardate:213512.1

I agree I dont see any similarites either.

I think trying to read 9/11 into The Expanse is reading too much into it. If the Xindi attacked 2 buildings and destroyed them killing thousands of people then Ok, there's a connection. An alien cutting a swath through the ground and killing millions of people has no connection with terrorists destroying the WTC or flying a plane into the Pentagon. The only possible connection I can see is that innocent people are killed in both.

That being the case how aboutthe connection Shockwave with 9/11? An entire colony was destroyed there, civilian colonists died in that one just like civilians died in the WTC. Why not protest at that? Or what about in The Expanse part 1 when Acher comes around behind the Klingon ship an blows it up, Military Klingons were killed there yet no protest at that.

Innocent people get killed in thousands of movies and TV-shows, I don't see anyone complaining about that...

Earth was attacked by an alien race just as colonies and ships have been attacked hundreds of times in other Trek shows by other races. There is no connection with 9/11, that's just silly..

Innocent people get killed in thousands of movies and TV-shows, I don't see anyone complaining about that...

Earth was attacked by an alien race just as colonies and ships have been attacked hundreds of times in other Trek shows by other races. There is no connection with 9/11, that's just silly..

So True

This may just be a fluke but the World Trade Center and Temporal Cold War have same initials only rearranged: WTC vs. TCW.

This may just be a fluke but the World Trade Center and Temporal Cold War have same initials only rearranged: WTC vs. TCW.

B) Amazing, I had not noticed. Using the logic of the person CJLP spoke of, he should have been against ENT from the start.

If a connection can be made between 9/11 and "The Expanse" and this connection is used to try to stop the story arc, it would mean having the crew just kind of sit and play cards all day because anything else that they could do more exciting would end up being compared to something else and this would ruin the show. Sci Fi has always had these type of stories it is inherent in the genre and should not be taken to refer to current events as it is not intended to be so.

I don't see any connection between 9/11 and The Expanse.  In the expanse the earth was attacked by an alien race that was told that humanity would be responsible for their annihilation in the future, I don't see any similiarites to the WTC attack.

I must admit, I really don't see a connection either. :( :)

It seems a bunch of you don't get the connection. I don't know if there is one or if it's just coincidence but this is what I see.

Reality:

-The United States was attacked, seemingly unprovoked.

-The attackers thought that the country was a threat to their welfare.

-They wanted to get in "the first blow."

-They killed a whole bunch of innocent people.

-Phone lines were down, it was hard to communicate. People saw it on the news but didn't know if loved ones were alright.

-The US took immediate military action.

Enterprise;

-The Earth was attacked, seemingly unprovoked.

-The attackers thought that the planet was a threat to their welfare.

-They wanted to get in "the first blow."

-They killed a whole bunch of innocent people.

-Trip knew what was going on, but didn't know if his sister was alright.

-Earth took immediate military action.

Anyway, those are the connections I see. But as I look at it, that's reading a little too far into it. I can see where people might infer that there are parallels. But I think one of Trek's strengths is that it sometimes deals with current events. And if it is supposed to resemble the events of September 11, then that's a great added touch.

I just hope that the Earth isn't out for revenge. It may seem that way now, but maybe after a long flight to the Xindi planet, Archer and company will realize that they should try negotiation and diplomacy first. If they do, that's great. Sends a message that that sort of thing is best. If they don't, then... well... I just think Humans would be a little more advanced than that.

September 11 hit me in a personal way. My father was at the Pentagon when the plane hit. I didn't get news that he was OK until that afternoon. I had lived in the DC area for four years and I have many friends there. But I'm certainly going to watch the third season of Enterprise. Like I said. Star Trek deals with current events. The original was full of metaphors and parallels. And that's one of the things I like about Star Trek.

Of course there are parallels between the two.

Star Trek has always echoed historical events. It has made movies and episodes that parallel modern day events. The Cold War for example was a parallel for Star Trek 6...

How could there not be connections or parallels between 9-11?

VaBeachGuy said the only connection is loss of innocent life, but that’s enough to have a deep connection . . . . .

There is more to it then just loss of life . . . . you have to deal with the after-effects and there are many of them. Those “after-effects” will be the same (for the most part) from both 9-11 and this. That alone gives them a connection. I don’t see it as reading too much into it. You can not just look at one little thing because in this case there are so many chain reactions or effects of something to this nature. This one thing - lost of a very large amount of life and the after effects of that will be the same for both ENT and 9-11. The emotional reaction will be the same in both. The resolve to find “who caused this” is the same for both. The effects on civilization in general are the same.

If someone casts off this parallel between 9-11, then one could argue that many other things ST has done for parallels are not really “parallels.” When ST does a parallel between modern events it can’t echo that event completely and so there will always be many differences. It is the same exact thing here. This ENT parallel is not for terrorists. It is for the emotional reaction. That’s a big parallel!

How could that emotional reaction and that emotional response not be a big connection?

To my mind that is a very large connection.

The same thing goes like I stated before:

Emotional Response (sadness . . .)

Emotional Reactions (wanting the people that did this be brought to justice . . . .)

Civilization Effects (how the loss will damage society, security, . . . )

I barely scratched the surface for Civilization Effects. I don’t know about you, but I see lots of parallels.

Just because we don’t have connections to terrorists and so forth does not mean that they do not connect. I think that it is obvious that this parallel is only for the emotional reaction (and other things I talked about). That’s the point.

I see no relevance in looking at connections for terrorist because that’s not the point at all . . .

Again, of course there is a parallel and saying that there is not because we have no terrorist connection is false. Due to emotional effects, after math, and resolve to find “who did this” we have many connections.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com