Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

How smart are you?

There are some people here who appear smart. Too smart sometimes! But how smart are we really? Often, academic qualifications are not good indicators by themselves. As there are some who have done well academically but have not been so inventive and successful in the workplace. Lacking in common sense. Often, those who have left school at 15 with no qualifications are the ones who have built empires. I myself am a law graduate and have had limited success in the legal world. In terms of intelligence I would consider myself reasonably so. What about you.

This will be interesting...

Interesting question. I think how smart you are has very little to do with academics. I did not do well in school and ended up dropping out. I regret it every day but I don't think that makes me unintelligent. I honestly think intelligence has a lot more to do with common sense and how you interact with others. I don't make a lot of money and I don't even have a high school diploma, but I'm very happy with who I am. I think I'm pretty intelligent. Doesn't mean I don't have a lot to learn. :) I'm young still, I have many years to learn and grow and become more intelligent. Hope that makes sense.

I keep getting told by people that I'm so inteligent because I know a little about a lot of diferent things.

but my opinion on the matter is that while I have quite a High General Knowledge dose not meen I am inteligent.

Knowledge = "What you know"

Inteligence = "How well you use your Knowledge"

It's not what we know that makes us inteligent it's how we utilise that information

my offial IQ is 126 but after all thats just a number

It really boils down to "How do you define intelligence". Modern concepts differentiate between academic intelligence and pratical intelligence. The standard IQ tests measure a limited set of skills dealing with analytical and spatial abilities which relate to academic intellgence. Other theories such as Gardner's Multiple Intelligences are more expansive and may be more indicative of practical intelligence.

My LSAT scores qualified me for Mensa but in the world of work I never developed the finer skills of people management (brown-nosing). I am way to honest with what I think.

Abakai2003 Posted on Jul 4 2003, 08:41 AM

I keep getting told by people that I'm so inteligent because I know a little about a lot of diferent things.

but my opinion on the matter is that while I have quite a High General Knowledge dose not meen I am inteligent.

I've made similar observations myself. My definition:

knowledge = "the facts you've learned"

intelligence = "how you think - the process you use"

Considering that I'm still in school, this is kind of hard to answer. :)

Looking at my report card I'm getting A's and B's, so I'm not stupid by their standards. But from my point of view, a report card isn't an accurate assesment of intelligence. It just shows how well the students can do their assignments, how well they can read a book. Unless you have a really good, fair teacher, I personally think that they are just testing your ability to memorize facts, rathar than comprehend them.

So, my opinion is that knowlage is knowing the facts, but intelligence it being able to comprehend the facts and infromation.

Read the Spoiler if you would like to...

Click for Spoiler:

I have taken a few IQ tests and mine is 147 (Almost my whole family has IQ's of 130 or higher, my dad being the only exception), and was supposed to be advanced 4 grade levels(mom decided that it would be best for me to stay with kids closer to my age, so I stayed with my graduating class). I was a physics major until last year, I decided to switch to Interdisciplinary Studies(Bio, Chem, Phys). And my GPA rarely even slightly dips below 3.50. Do I consider my self intellegent? Pretty much, yes. Am I the most intellegent person here, or in the world for that matter? Heck no, not even close! If I was...I would not have gotten a C in Geometry Honors, Calculus II, or a B- in Calculus III and Ordinary Differential Equations. It all boils down on how we use the knowledge we gain.. Become scholars and/or world leaders, or plop down in front of the TV and amaze family and friends by "winning" Jeopardy? It does not take a college education to be intellegent, my mom went for one semester of college and withdrew(she has an IQ of 149), my little brother is a dyslexic, a Senior in HS, and maintaining a 2.8 GPA(his IQ is 145 or 146), my sister prefferred social acivities to study, finished HS with a 3.45 (her IQ is 133). I see my parents (dad has an IQ of about 115-120, graduated with a GED) and my siblings as intellegent. I also see a large contingent of these boards as intellegent to very intellegent. So,

it is merely how we view the meanings of the words: intellegence, wisdom, and knowledge. As well as how we view ourselves. Also, another word not commonly addressed in these discussions...curiosity. Without that, there would be no knowledge/experience gained. Because if you were not curious as to what the result would be, you probably would not gain the knowledge from the attempt.

Edited by Yillara_Skye

I agree with you, that goes for me as well

If I don't know something I ask questions.

And always remember Einstein failed at physics at school

I agree completely. There are PhDs out there who cannot even make a cup of tea!

I have known lots of them. :) Anyone can go to UNI. and learn something parrot fashion ( memorizing ). I've done it myself on the odd occasion, and got 100%.

But if I had to go for a job with the person with a UNI degree....Guess who would get the job...not me. :bow:

College Degrees Defined:

BS - (you know what BS is)

MS - More of the same

PhD - piled higher and deeper

University degrees, do you mean

BSc - UndergradMasters

MSc - ..

PhD - PostGrad

:) :bow:

They are just pieces of paper, but mean so much to employers. :bow:

College Degrees Defined:

MS - More of the same

BSc - UndergradMasters

MSc - ..

PhD - PostGrad

:bow::bow:

They are just pieces of paper, but mean so much to employers. :)

sadly these peices of paper that mean so much to so many people,( not to put anyone down, by all means this does not mean everyone) mean squat to me, in the short time ive been on this earth, doing the things i do, i have seen so many "smart people" that dont know squat, or only know something by the book. no one seems to know stuff by reality, or through common sense any more. i have a high school education, with no college, and by no means am i brilliant, but i hold my own, know quite a bit about a lot of stuff, but not everything about anything. i can get by in this world on my own, with what i know. but in the last three years working at the garage door company, i have seen, and heard sooooo many stupid things, done, and asked by the "rich, smart people" i wont get into all the particulars, in case there are some that would take offense, but in my oppinion I.Q. scores only mean something on a peice of paper.you need commone sense, and plain street smarts to get by in this world without losing your *buttocks*, or your sanity at some point. IMHO

Stardate:213507.9

I dont know how to answer that question really....I guess i would say im a little bit smarter than average for my age :) I dont know....

I got a 123 on a IQ test I took at a college a little while ago but then again like said above thats just a number.

College Degrees Defined:

MS - More of the same

BSc - UndergradMasters

MSc - ..

PhD - PostGrad

:wacko: :blink:

They are just pieces of paper, but mean so much to employers. B)

sadly these peices of paper that mean so much to so many people,( not to put anyone down, by all means this does not mean everyone) mean squat to me, in the short time ive been on this earth, doing the things i do, i have seen so many "smart people" that dont know squat, or only know something by the book. no one seems to know stuff by reality, or through common sense any more.

Sad, but true. I work in a call center doing customer service. I have been doing this type of work for a total of 8 years, and I've been employed by AOL Time Warner for just over a year. Everything I know, I've learned by doing. I'm not a computer expert, but I know a little more about them than your average person. I learned about computers by watching TechTV, speaking with people who ARE computer experts, and playing with my home computer. But even so, I see other employees with less on the job experience and less computer knowledge get promoted over me. Why? Because they have college degrees in Business Management or Sales and Marketing and I have nothing past my high school diploma. Is that fair?

I understand the sentiments being expressed but those pieces aren't just handed out like candy - so they I wouldn't count them off as worthless. And you do acquire or refine certain skills in school. These include skills such as managing various projects and deadlines at the same time and learning how to acquire a proficiency in new material in a short length of time. These skills are particularly useful in the labor force. Not to mention the real application skills like math and composition.

That said, I do think some professions rely too much on taking a specific number of courses as opposed to actual competency in a specific field.

Also many schools (or states) allow you to acquire credit for the knowledge you have gained through work. Also some workplaces will pay for your education if you're going for a degree. Even if it doesn't help in your current job it can help you get a better job somewhere else.

And that being said, youth and beauty will get you the really good jobs - right now I'm grateful to have any income.

College Degrees Defined:

MS - More of the same

I know so many people that this applies to!!

As for me, I would say I probably have slightly above average intelligence. (have never taken an IQ test except those standardized tests they used to give annually in school) I got A's and B's in school, from 1st grade through graduate school. I do feel I'm fairly resourceful with my knowledge and observations I make. I feel I have a reasonable amount of common sense. So...does that make me intelligent?

I agree that how much education someone has does not really tell you if the person is intelligent or not. I know many people that have a PhD but some of them don’t even have common sense.

For IQ tests I don’t think they tell you that much. An IQ just tells you about the person overall, but what if that person is a mathematical prodigy and has very little ability in reading . . . .An IQ gives us a very limited picture. Probably the best example of that is Einstein. By many he was once considered retarded, but I think Einstein showed those people! (LOL) Einstein was a prodigy in certain areas, but others he was below average. He had a average IQ score, but I don’t think anyone could argue that he was not a genius.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Edited by master_q