Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rustypelican

RustyPelicans Personal Log

Here I go here is my first entry into a personal log that others can see. Work has been hell today, after spending 2&1/2 days with a good friend in HK. I did not nees the added stress of stuff breaking as soon a we pulled away. and to top it all off my rt knee and my back is acting up again. The stress does not help because the lowerback is where I store my stress.

I am excited and scared to be getting out of the Navy, I am glad that the bs will be over soon. No more walking up and down the steep ladders, no more squeezing through the scuttles, no more babysitting the young kids that have been handed everything to them all of their lives and that I now have to motivate them to work. I will be with my family sooner than if I stayed in, and more often then before, but I am already starting to suffer from the abandeners syndrome. My good friends are still going to be "In harms way", and my two best friends that I have ever had(minus the wife) are now going to be on the opposite side of the country. B)

I do have some job interviews lined up, but it is still scary. I have not had to hunt or interview for a job ever. I have a wife, Three kids, and me neice to support, and I have no Idea how I am going to do that, but I am told constantly that I will not have anytrouble finding a job. The trouble I will have, I am told, will be decideing which job to accept, and how much to accept compensation wize.

Well I have been long winded enough for now. Thank you all for lettting me vent. It feals bettert gatting it all out.

I did not need the added stress of stuff breaking as soon a we pulled away. And to top it all off my rightt knee and my back is acting up again.  The stress does not help because the lowerback is where I store my stress. 

349055[/snapback]

How very weird! I have a bad knee and back too! I dislocated my left knee last christmas, and got knocked over at easter. I was ok on holiday because I did water aroebics every morning but since I've come back is playing on me too.

Good Luck with finding a job- I'm hunting for one myself. My first job. And 15 applications in the past year does not help one bit. *Sigh*

Good Luck, and, Welcome.

Well I just got woken up for a "dog and pony show". Yeah!!!! I was in good heavey REM sleep too, so when I was woken up I flintched and tweeked my back even more. Yeah

Cara, thank you for the support and good luck to you also in the hunt for a job. 27 days until I leave the command, and 13 more until I am a civie, I just keep repeeting that and I should be fine.

Oh yeah I almost forgot I got woken uo 1hr b4 the show, and it is now 1hr past the scheduled time for it and the brass ain't here yet. I guess they don't think that I need sleep.

SSM

Rp

Well the d&ps is now done, and it was not as bad as It could have been, but the missing sleep will be affecting me on watch tonight.

26 days until I leave the command, and 12 more after until I am a civie. That is my sad mantra.

My back is better for now, more like 60% instead of the 30% it was this morning. I guess that I'll just have to get used to it until October when I can legally go and see a chiropractor.

On a good note it looks like my last 2 duty days will be off, I will not be required to stay on board and "Odie" can actually show me around her old stomping grounds.

ssm

Rp

Life, can be crazy, but sometimes you have to try and make the best of it. If you want to see how crazy my life is, read my log sometimes lol. It makes me wonder what the heck is wrong with me lol. And also I like to welcome you to Star trek Fans!!!!!!!! You will have a lot of fun here!

:tribble: Well I am stuck on the swingshift watch again after being up since before 7 am. Gotta love not having any sleep. :sleep3:

I think I got my avatar and personal photo to work finally. I had to move my hosting to get it to work, but it seems to be working. :flowers:

I am starting to get my things in line to be able to fly out. I can't wait to be with my family again, but I am still having a hard time with leaving my friends :hug:

Another crazy day of no sleep. But I did get some work doen that was inportant, I would just like to get a full nights sleep. Oh well, it will happen soon enough. Really going crazy about gettin out I have 25 more days until I leave the ship, and I am excited and scared all at once. I will do fine, it is the unknown that is driving me mad.

The back, yes the back. It is still bad and carrying computers around all day probually did not help any. I just cannot make my self just sit and watch when there is work to be done. I just cannot do that. It is not the way i am or the way I was raised. I guess that my dad just instilled too good of a work ethic in me.

Sleep is an overrated activity. Personally its more of hobby than anything else. :tribble:

Well, I i=over did it yesturday. Carried a computer too much. It was worthi it for a friend though. I need to be more careful with it though or they can and would keep me in the Navy longer if it is not better b4 I get out. I cannot afford that right now. Sleep is not going to happen for me for a leaste 24 more hours, so I guess it not even a popular hobby for me.

My life is a mess being pulled two differentways

ssm

rp

Please be careful. I don't like it when you hurt your back.

I will be careful, my back is better. Having fun at work for once. but it is the cost of sleep, but whats the saying. oh yeah you will have enough time to sleep when you are dead.

Sleep when you're dead, yep. I'm feeling the same way. I'm just glad I don't have to grade papers tonight, just have to make up a lesson plan, since I am a nice teacher and don't give homework the first day. Tomorrow will be a different story, though... Try not to overwork yourself, though, RP. Back problems combined with being on a ship doesn't make for a very good equation.

Thank you for the welcome Jim, and congrats on being a new daddy, by looking at your signature. I am a daddy of three myself. Sara 6, Megan 4, Spencer 3. plus I jsut took over gaurdianship of my Teenage niece.

One of my goals is to be a teacher in the next few years , after I can finish my degrees, I envy you man.

Teaching is fun. I do recommend it. Now, Rusty, are you getting a med discharge or are you retiring, or just getting out because your enlistment is up? if you are retiring, you may be able to get a job teaching sooner than you think, with NJROTC or (I think) MCJROTC. It's supposed to be really fun.

I am getting out because my time is up, but medically unable to re-enlist. I am looking into troops(sailors)-to-teachers though. Also because of my injuries I am 4 pounds over weight. but slowly getting better, but not fast enought to keep the Navy happy

Welcome to the site Rusty

what is it with star trek fans do we all have bad backs?

been a orderly for years finally going to school to be a nurse

years of nagging by the nurse's i work with paid off.

good luck in normal life.

Ed

As I posted in the off topic forum I am getting Deserters Syndrome hard right now. I have never gotten it so bad, but then I have never made as many good frinds as I have here either. Wouldn't you know it. I fit in some one for once in my life and then I am having to leave. It just isn't fair. Please if you want to respond to this please do so via PM or in that post pleae. I am posting here to keep my thought in one place. I have 22 days until I leave and can only imagine that it will get worse. i know I can hold it together, but the machoness of the military prevents me from showing hao I really feal. I have to go and do a working party with my bad back yeah. Odie and my wife will kill me when they hear, but the exertion will do me good.

The working party was not too bad. It was fun, alot of joking and my back does not hurt not really. At least not anymore than it would have normally just having to sit my 8 hr watch in radio. I wish I had more freedom to move around. but I am pretty much chained to my desk when it is time for my watch. But as a typical sailor, you know that saying a whining sailor is a happy sailor, I would complain about always being on my feet like the bridge watches. Pulling into port soon so will have the Docs look at my back, and get some R&R. I don not have much time left until I leave. 21 and a wake up. gosh it is going much too fast.

RP

Welcome to the site from a long-ago Navy Personnelman. Hang in there, you will be out soon. Just take care of yourself (and your back). I'm another STF member with (minor) back problems! Try to focus on the good things and the prospect of being with your family. Employers do like to hire veterans because they know they have a strong work ethic and good discipline. I went through a major job change a year and a half ago. It was a very sudden and distressing end to a long time job. Eventually the situation was resolved in a better manner and I ended up in a much better place. Things may seem uncertain and scary but things will hopefully work out. They certainly did for me. This site is a great community of helpful people. You are moving on to another stage in your life and career, not deserting your friends. Hang in there, and again, welcome!

trekz,

Thank you you for your insight and support. I know what you are saying is true, but it is not easy to adjust ones wiring to make ture in their head. If I am making sense. I sometime do that most of the time I don't make much sense at all.

Inport now, So I can sleep. Odie too. She is exhausted, most of us are to tell the truth. Time for some R/R so this is rustypelican signing off

ssm

The deployment is almost over (and not too soon for anyone on the ship), and your time in the Navy is almost over. As I told you before you will do fine once you leave the Navy. As long as you are mindful of your back it I won't complain to much.

I need to get that pic they took of you in your working whites. :naughty: I think some of the girls in your workcenter will help out with little or no problems! :lol:

Well I have already given you the dratted, blasted things. Now are you happy. And do not get any ideas for a graphic design project on me. No way. No going to do it. Any way

Having fun in prot even if it is raining all the time. relazed more now that I have been in a while. My back does not hurt as much either.

Hello all,

Another update from the Rustypelican. just over 2 weeks until I get to leave the ship. then another week and a couple day's unitl I am finally home. :lol: I am applying for jobs like it is going out of syle, and am finally starting to get some response back from all of the work. My monster.com profile got reset though, so more work to bring it back online. Getting excited, and i think I am getting over the bought with Deserters syndrome for now. I do not how long that will last, but know on wood :frusty: It will last and not get me down as bad as it was a week ago.

It's good to hear that you're feeling more positive and getting exited about getting home! That is exciting! Hang in there with the job search. It can be daunting, but you will persevere and succeed. You will probably want to keep up regular communication with your shipmates, once you depart the ship, to help all of you adjust, and for you as a support network. Keep up the positive attitude. What's your town like? I'm not familiar with that area. Take care! :lol:

Well I have already given you the dratted, blasted things.  Now are you happy.  And do not get any ideas for a graphic design project on me.  No way.  No going to do it.  Any way

Having fun in prot even if it is raining all the time.  relazed more now that I have been in a while.  My back does not hurt as much either.

350349[/snapback]

Thanks for giving me ideas on what do with the pics! :lol: The ideas that's running through my mind are endless! :frusty: