Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rustypelican

RustyPelicans Personal Log

Well, I guess that you are right.

All,

I have been a nice guy again and woke up after only 3 hours of sleep to let a shipmate get sleep b4 his advancement exam. I am exhausted, and do not see sleep in sight again.

We were on 12 on 12 off watches, and I was tired, then we went to 8 on 16 off and I got less sleep. Now I am a "day" worker and getting even less sleep. What is going on. It is insane. But I am not going to let some one lower his chances for advancement, that is not my style.

I am back writing short stories again. And loving it. I just wish that all of my old ones were not lost during the pocket PC crash.

As if I was not stressed enough, I got some distressing news from home a few minutes ago. My wife has on biopsy tomorrow, East Coast US. There is a mass in her left breast. If it is benign or malignant they are removing it due to the estrogen therapy, from the uterine cancer surgury, is causing it to grow larger either way. :frusty:

Yeah me. Just when I think things are going better, I get another curveball sent my way. :lol:

I know you feel, I am not having a good time right. College was not was I was expecting it to be. I will pray that your wife will get alot better.

Lursa,

Thank you for your concern. College is not what most expect. I still have to finish mine. It is one of those thing that tends to get a tad easier as you get accustomed to it.

Well, I guess that you are right. 

All,

I have been a nice guy again and woke up after only 3 hours of sleep to let a shipmate get sleep b4 his advancement exam.  I am exhausted, and do not see sleep in sight again. 

We were on 12 on 12 off watches, and I was tired, then we went to 8 on 16 off and I got less sleep.  Now I am a "day" worker and getting even less sleep.  What is going on.  It is insane.  But I am not going to let some one lower his chances for advancement, that is not my style. 

I am back writing short stories again.  And loving it.  I just wish that all of my old ones were not lost during the pocket PC crash.

350824[/snapback]

You know I am just joking about it. I do have something cooking, but I will just show you it first anyway.

As if I was not stressed enough, I got some distressing news from home a few minutes ago.  My wife has on biopsy tomorrow, East Coast US.  There is a mass in her left breast.  If it is benign or malignant they are removing it due to the estrogen therapy, from the uterine cancer surgury, is causing it to grow larger either way.  :frusty:

Yeah me.  Just when I think things are going better, I get another curveball sent my way.  :lol:

350842[/snapback]

You know I am here for you if you just want to talk about it. You here for me and I will be here for you.

Well the results from my wife are not promising. The lump is smaller than the doctors originally thought.. That is the good news. The bad news. It does look suspiciously like cancer. Also it is attached to her lymph node. It was not removed due to the complications of having to remove that effected node and most of the others in that side of her body. They ran some more tests and will find out the results on Tuesday Morning EST. God I wish I were home with her right now, but I will be home for good in less than a month, So we just need to endure all of this in stride, the best that we can. Thank you all for your positive thoughts, and encouragement.

Ryan

Thank you.

All still stressed, I hope to be able to blow off some steam during the next couple of days. My wife is messed up emotionally right now, and I hate not being there for her. But I'll be home for good in less than a month. My back is almost back to 100% again, or as close to it as I can get. PT and drugs have helped out alot.

More as items come to mind

I wish it could be better for you and your family. :(

As far as your back goes that is great as long as you don't lift anything that is marked for two people on it. :(

Rp,

Reading back a bit, I noticed you said you are feeling alittle bad about leaving your unit. I understand totally how you feel. I haven't found an easy way to cope with it, and I find myself wishing I was with mine still, wondering how they are doing with out me over there. It's a tough thing to leave the folks you've trained so hard with, and become a team with. I keep in contact with my buddies still, and as said, I wish I was still with them, but sometimes life directs us down a different path. There's really no way to overcome the feeling that you are abondoning your collegues. if there was, I wish I could find it.

Also, I hope all turns out well with your wife. I'll be sure to say a prayer for you and your wife, RP. Good luck.

Sarge Thanks for the encouragement.

All,

Well now it is looking like it might be non-hodgkins Lymphoma, instead of breast cancer. Though It could just be an infection, but after doing some reading she does show some signs. I am scared, and need to get home soon. I'll keep y'all posted on how I/we are doing.

RP

Latest update,

It has been comfirmed cancer. I am so scared. i do not want to go through this esp now. Not that anyone does. I leave the Ship in a week now. Hopefully, there has been some schedualling changes, and then I still have to sit in San Diego for a week plus. b4 I can even think about getting home. Also the investors that were helping us lease to own our house are thinking about backing out. I am going off the deep end and I do not know what to do. I have gotten so used to being in control all of this powerlessness is put me out of my element, but It can only make me stronger.

SSM

RP

All, rough couple of days was with Odie/Dawn for her doctors visits, for moral support. Also Founf out that when I am traveling by plains trains and automobils back to the States that my wife will be having a lumpectomy to remove the tumor from her breast.

I am excited, scared, and sad about leaving. It is a tasty emotional cocktail I'll tell you that.

Off the ship in 5 days, separations leave in 16 days, offically out of the Navy in 32 days.

out for now

RP

I am leaving the Ship tomorrow morning Japan time. It is rough leaving my friends and the only way of life and employment that I have known my entire adult life. It is also exciting and pleasing to be finally doing something different and to atleast be on the same continent as my family.

Hang in there, RP. You are facing big challenges, but I know my time in the Navy helped me cope better with the civilian world and I feel that you will also be able to find the strength and determination to carry on and pull through. One example for me was how much easier college was after being in the Navy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Trekz,

I know what you are saying is true. That is what everyone I have talked to during my check out has said, but it does not make it not scary. College was definatly easier while in than it was before. I am hoping that I continues to be after wards to.

RP

Oh, change and stress like you are going through is definitely scary, no question about it. But with what you've gone through in the Navy you have learned how to cope with a lot and I think you will be able to cope with all the scariness of your new situation, and with your family medical situations. Remember, you have people who care about you and who are willing to listen and at least offer advice (and some will be able to help). Keep your lines of communication open with your friends and don't be afraid to ask for help or an ear to listen to you.

I am sitting in the Narita Airport during my 7&1/2 hour layover and I am having a real hardtime with the deserter syndrome, that I thought that I had under control. I am dehydrated so bad from crying, I feal like I am making a mistake even though I know that there is nothting that I can do now to change it. It is stressful but I can get through this. Being alone in the airport is rough and the fact that only 3 people showed up on the quarterdeck does not help any. Thank you for the support.

You are almost home to your family and they need you more than the ship. Please keep that in mind. I know its hard, but you can do it.

I've made it to San Diego. after 24 hours plus of traveling. But I am back in the USA. My wife is recovering well from her surgery, I have just gottenoff of the phone with her. My body does not know what time zone that it is in. Need to acclimate. More when I am cohearant enough to post.

RP

IT's great to hear that you are back in the US. IT's greater to hear that your wife is recovering well from her surgery. Rest up!

Almost caught up with sleep. Been using my time to catch up on trek on tv. Almost bought ENT season 3 last night, but figured I needed to finish seasons 1-2 first.

My wife had to go back to the surgeon to be stitched back up today. Still in good spirits though and wait impatiently for my return to them

RP

All,

Good news of sorts. The biopsy is back. It was not cancer, which is a blessing, but now she had surgery for no reason. Will my luck ever be good, just to be good. I am scared about getting a job, and may be stuck in San Diego until the ship is almost back. Sometimes I wish I had stayed.

I got my plane tickets so I guess it is official I am getting out and going home. I fly off to ATL at 1:10pm Friday on Delta. I hate Delta but I will deal with it to get home. I'll be to my new home about 9pm. Still scared but excited too. I still will not believe it until the 24th when I am offically out of the Navy.

RP

Glad your wife is ok. I have grown up with Cancer as a part of norma vocabulary with my family. I am sorry you are leaving something you love so much. I hope your flight was ok

Well I have started playing my mandolin again after a too long break. I am working on an arrangement of "Faith of the Heart", I'm staying true to the season 1-2 version , but making it my own. Too bad my voice does not do the song justice. Maybe it will just be an instrumental, guitar, bass, keys, and mandolin. I miss my guitars. I have not played them is 6 months. I hope that they survived the move.

Ryan