Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

The Fourth of July

post-83-1088927321.jpg

Fireworks-01.gifFireworks-09.gif

In the United States we celebrate the 4th of July. What is it that we are celebrating though? The 4th of July is called Independence Day and it is the day we celebrate the birth of our nation in 1776. I've always felt it was a little misleading to call it Independence day though.

On April 19, 1775 war broke out between England and the 13 English colonies in north America at Lexington, Massachusetts and nearby Concord. This was the beginning of the American Revolution, known in the United States as the Revolutionary War.

More then a year after the war began, on July 2, 1776, the the Second Continental Congress officially resolved that the united colonies should be free and independent states. On July 4, the Declaration of Independence was formally approved by Congress and that is why we celebrate July 4th as the Birth date of the United States of America.

post-83-1088926889.gif

It would take an additional 7 years before Independence was truly won though when on September 3, 1783 the Treaty of Paris was signed ending the war and England recognized the United States independence. It wasn't until 5 more years had passed that on July 2, 1788 that our Constitution was ratified and became the law of the land, setting the frame work for what we now know as the Federal Government.

So, every July 4th we celebrate the birth of our nation and we celebrate the Declaration of our Independence from Great Britain and King George III. It is a day of great national pride where parades take place, families are in their back yards cooking on the grill or are in parks having picnics. In the evening, after the sun has gone down there are grand fireworks shows all across the country. It is a day of National unity where political boundaries vanish and we are all one people, one Nation.

So, to all of those that read this for which this day has meaning I want to say Happy 4th of July, and to the Nation that I love so much and to the flag that I saluted while I was in the Army I say Happy 229th Birthday.

A well-written and interesting article. :lol:

I'd just like to point out that it wasn't 'England' the US won independence from, it was 'Britain'. (Hence the British Empire) They’re two different entities.

a good point, NBS. and the American Revolution marked a number of firsts. One thing Americans may take a bit of pride in is that it marks the first time: An entire british army has been defeated in a war...the first time an Entire British Fleet was defeated (Lake Erie), and the first use of a Submarine in combat.

the American Revolution began over a year before 4 July, 1776 at the battle of Lexington and Concord. However, America never formally declared independance until that famous date. in fact, at the time of the signing of the Declaration of Independance, Britain had already suffered more than 1,000 casualties in this "Colonial Uprising." two major battles were fought before the signing: the first was Lexington and Concord, which really started it all, and cost the British Army 100 casualties. and Bunker Hill (Where the famous phrase, "Don't shoot till you see the whites of their eyes" was coined) where the British Army suffered more than 1,000 casualties: 1/7th of the force in the colonies.

Here is an interesting fact: "Common Sense" was published anonymously. Noone knew who wrote it. prior to the discovery that it was written by Thomas Paine, most thought that the document was written by Samuel Adams or Benjamin Franklin.

Patrick Henry, the man who declared "Give Me Liberty or Give Me death" was killed in battle in 1776. he never lived to see the colonies become free. I guess the British took him at his word.

Prior to the American Revolution, George Washington had never commanded a unit larger than a company (about 150 men) when he took command of the Continental Army outside of Boston, his Army numbered 20,000.

Valley Forge is remembered as being a terrible winter that the Americans had to go through. History claims that they were sleeping in the snow, and that many men died of frostbite and other cold-related ailments. However, the camp that the Army set up at Valley Forge was actually quite well protected. the Valley Forge story is something of a myth that is remembered as fact.

to get supplies for his new Army, George Washington sent two units into Quebec, Canada to raid a fort. this was a critical move by Washington. Not only were food, gunpowder and amunition aquired, but also more artillery peices.

often foriegners will say that without France, America would have never won her independance. This is probably false. the French did not arrive until around the time of the battle of Yorktown, the final battle in the revolutionary war.

Here's an interesting and unbiased histroical narrative on the revolutionary war that I found. ('Tis from Wikipedia) :lol:

War of Independence (1774–1783)

There were many causes that led to the American Revolutionary War, but political tensions between Great Britain and her colonies became a crisis in 1774 when the British placed the province of Massachusetts under martial law. While shooting began at Lexington and Concord in 1775, the Continental Congress appointed George Washington as commander-in-chief of the newly created Continental Army, which was augmented throughout the war by colonial militia. General Washington was no great battlefield tactician—he lost more battles than he won—but his overall strategy proved to be sound: keep the army intact, wear down British resolve, and avoid decisive battles except to exploit enemy mistakes.

The British, for their part, lacked both a unified command and a clear strategy for winning. With the use of the Royal Navy, the British were able to capture coastal cities, but control of the countryside eluded them. An invasion from Canada in 1777 ended with the disastrous surrender of a British army at Saratoga. France entered the war against Great Britain after Saratoga, finally convinced that the Americans could actually win.

The involvement of France (and then Spain) greatly complicated the British war effort. A shift in focus to the southern American colonies resulted in a string of victories for the British, but guerilla warfare and the tenacity of General Nathanael Greene's army prevented the British from making strategic headway. A French naval victory in the Chesapeake finally offered the chance Washington had long waited for, and a British army was trapped and compelled to surrender at Yorktown in 1781, leading to the Treaty of Paris in 1783 that recognized the independence of the United States.

Since many Americans of the revolutionary generation had a strong distrust of permanent (or "standing") armies, the Continental Army was quickly disbanded after the Revolution. General Washington, who throughout the war deferred to elected officials, averted a potential crisis and submitted his resignation as commander-in-chief to Congress after the war, establishing a tradition of civil control of the U.S. military.

(Now I'll try to stop ruining the party mood. Congrats on your birthday! :hug:)

Today just does not stand for freedom, but the people that fought and died for it, the people that used their freedom to help others become free, the people that, and by the use of thier freedom, made the world a better place. The people who signed the that little pice of paper 229 years go knew that if they lost that war they would be hunted and killed. This day means, at least to me, that you, if you really belive in what you are doing, wound put everything on the line, even your life, to see it through. Many have done that for thier family, thier friends, and thier nation, but few put it down on paper.

Its just another Holiday to me. I am so over the whole fact that its Americas B-day.

We are so overprotected and under appreciative, We forgot what the holiday means

Not just freedom But Diversity, change, hopes and dreams,Working hard and so many other things America stands for

Sorry. birthday blues. I just see America as other than the "ideal" I see it as home. And as a place that changes and needs change. As a place where i can get do somthing and be oustrisized. I love it. I hate it. I need it

America: Home for all.

Every July 4th I always take some time to think about how great this country is, and also the think about all of the sacrifices that have been made in order to keep us free. I think about all of the soldiers that have sacrificed their time to serve in our military, always alert and prepared to defend our freedom whenever it is challenged. I think about the families of those brave men and women and the sacrifices that they have made by enduring long periods of time without their loved ones and caring for the affairs of the soldier while they defend our country. I definitely think about all of those that have died in service to our country as well as the families that have lost family members to service to this country. I think that on this day all Americans should take the time to remember those that have fought, those that have died, and their families and take a few minutes to honor them and remember that without them we would not have the one thing that Americans hold the most dear, our freedom.

I also think about how many Americans take their freedom for granted and even talk about how they feel that there is so much wrong with our country. I think that we need to take more time thinking about the things that we would not have without the freedom that is given to all US citizens. One thing that I think about that I think we can all understand is would Gene Roddenberry have been able to create our beloved Star Trek without the freedom granted in the United States? I honestly do not believe that it would have come to pass, and even if it had, it would not have been the Trek that we have grown to love. There are many aspects of Trek that would never have been permitted without our freedom. With the controversy that some of the episodes caused it would have been stopped before it had a chance to air. Another thought is that without the freedom to speak our minds that we have in America I seriously doubt that STARTREKFANS.NET would have been created and we would have lost the opportunity to have the family that we have all build here.

In closing I would like to thank all of you that have served our country and defended our freedom. I would also like to thank the families of our armed forces for supporting their loved ones decision to fight for our country. I would also like to pass on my condolences to the families of those that have lost their lives in service to our great nation and ask that no matter the circumstances of the death make sure that your children and grandchildren know that there was a hero that gave his life to protect their right to be free in their family. To all others I make this challenge. Take a few minutes to think about those that have fought because they believed that our freedom was worth dying for, and their families. Also, take some time to think about all of the things that we would not have in our lives had those brave men and not been willing to put their lives on the line to protect us.

I agree with many of the sentiments expressed here particularly ddillard - we would not be free if people had not been willing to fight for independence. Of course, some people have lost sight of what freedom is and I sometimes I fear if we are not diligent we will lose what freedoms we have remaining (because I also feel we have lost some freedom in this country but that's another thread)

Yes, gratitude to those who fought for independence and for freedom in the years after. Gratitude to all those who have served in our nation's Armed Forces (and their families). But I think it is important to note - it is is still possible to stand up for and speak out for freedom in other ways - and there have been many "Great Americans" who worked and/or sacrificed for the freedom of others on our home soil.

not only is today Independence day, but also one of my close friends Norm's Birthday and he is serving in Iraq!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NORM!

The Elders in my community,including myself... :lol: held a ceremony honoring both America,our ancestors and all those who have shed their blood in defense of Freedom in this country.

After that we had a small display of fireworks,native dancing and traditional music.We also barbacued.Everyone had a good time.

:hug: And I think I saw the most beautiful woman I've ever seen tonight.She isn't a member of the tribal community,but one of the non-Native locals who were guests at our celebration.I'm going to find out who she is.I have to.She's going to be my wife one day. :hug: