Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

Do you judge other users

I find that sometime I do. No in a bad way, mind you. SOmetimes, when someone uses a Trek character's name, I expect them to act like the character. Or if someone's name is a fantasy or mythological reference, I tend to expect them to act like what their user name says.

I don't judge others based on there user name. It does give me a clue to the person character. Once I get to know them I "see" the person and not the user name.

I don't judge people on their username. I do however more often then not associate people with their avatar instead of their screenname, whenever someone well known changes theirs I often get royally confused. It takes me a few seconds to consider looking at their name. <_<

I will try not to.

I find myself most often judging others based upon their character,which will be shown here by their posts in response to the topics.

As I came here to relax and discuss one of my favorite science-fiction shows,and maybe other things with people who may share some of my own interests,I do not want to create bad feelings....so I will not be critical of others.Hopefully they will extend the same courtesy to myself.

I think judging a person in general is a nasty idea. Assuming can get you into a lot of trouble.

Especially on the net. The screen name thing has gotten me in trouble. Seems noone realizes my name is supposed to be an Ironic gesture. But people thinks its "cute" UGH yuck

I don't necessarily judge a person by their screen name, though you can sometimes learn a bit about them by it. For example, if someone uses a name based on a character from a video game, you can assume they're a pretty big fan of that video game. Occasionally it can be a way to see if you have anything in common with someone, before actually getting to know them.

Though, if I see a person using the name of a fictional character, I wonder if they ever role-play as that character elsewhere, or if they write fan fiction that primarily features that character. Sometimes I find that they do, but not always, of course.

I think judging a person in general is a nasty idea. Assuming can get you into a lot of trouble. 

Especially on the net. The screen name thing has gotten me in trouble. Seems noone realizes my name is supposed to be an Ironic gesture. But people thinks its "cute" UGH yuck

336139[/snapback]

Oh, I don't mean judging them as in looking at the user name and automatically assuming they're a jerk or something. I mean seeing someone how uses a screen-name that's the name of a popular TV character and assuming they're going to act like that character.

Kinda dumb, I know, but I catch myself doing it now and then.

I mean seeing someone how uses a screen-name that's the name of a popular TV character and assuming they're going to act like that character.

I was refering to somthing similar..My name sounds all nice and sweet but if you know where its referenced from. Its not

Sometimes yes, but not in a bad way, either. I adjusted my settings not to see avatars or signitures so I could see the text better. It's the only way I know who you are :P .

I actually thought at first "Odie" was someones real name. That's before I got to know you, Dawn. :P :) Sorry. :P

Sometimes yes, but not in a bad way, either. I adjusted my settings not to see avatars or signitures so I could see the text better. It's the only way I know who you are  :) .

I actually thought at first "Odie" was someones real name. That's before I got to know you, Dawn.  :P  :) Sorry.  :P

336332[/snapback]

That is alright. :P Odie is part of my last name. It would seem it's very difficult for English speakers to pronounce it correctly when they first see it. Odie is very close to the actually pronounce. The of mispronunciations gets on my nerves very fast.

Sometimes yes, but not in a bad way, either. I adjusted my settings not to see avatars or signitures so I could see the text better. It's the only way I know who you are  :) .

I actually thought at first "Odie" was someones real name. That's before I got to know you, Dawn.  :P  :) Sorry.  :P

336332[/snapback]

That is alright. :P Odie is part of my last name. It would seem it's very difficult for English speakers to pronounce it correctly when they first see it. Odie is very close to the actually pronounce. The of mispronunciations gets on my nerves very fast.

336336[/snapback]

I pronounce that "Oh- dee", is that correct?

i don't judge someone by their screen name. i look at a screen name and i'm trying to figure out where it might be from. like star trek or something else. i also am curious sometimes about how they chose their screen name.

tm :P

I mean seeing someone how uses a screen-name that's the name of a popular TV character and assuming they're going to act like that character.

I do not judge people by their screennames, nor do I believe they are going to act like the character... never have, never will.

Though I have a friend online here that occasionally will post in the style/personality of his screen name and I find it quite humorous pretty much every time he does so.

Like I said, I try not to, but I catch myself doing it sometime anyway. I think it's an unconcious thing.

Maybe I need a better grip on reality...

I've not judged other users by their screen name either I part of the time get to know them when i'm in the chatroom or by their posts.

:lol: :hug::hug: B)

Not really, but I do understand how it can happen. If someone has a friendly-sounding screen name, you expect them to be friendly, and vice-versa.

Actually, I have done this from time to time. It's not a bad thing; we all just have to make sure we get to know people before letting in the misconceptions. :lol:

I try not to. I don't really think about usernames, cept where they're from. They only ones I think about are the name ones (like Odi, which i thought was your actual name :lol: and others) the rest, i know don't reflect the persons character.

Many people look at my name and ask the same lame joke of "Can you read my mind?" :lol: The truth is that most people have some sort of latent psychic abilities, manly manifesting themselves as Deja Vu.

I don't "pass judgement" on users, but I do get an impression of what they may be like by their screen names, avatars, and signatures, in addition to their posts. Of course, it's possible that someone could be creating a fake personality here just for fun. It's impossible to know with absolute certainty who's being real and who isn't. :lol:

Just for the record, I'm exactly who and what I seem to be, because I don't want to be bothered with the hassle of creating an "imaginary internet personality". I do have 3 usernames for different aspects of my personality (and different interests), but they're all real in their own way. Sorry for getting off-topic! Too much info?

Not really, there aren't many people with personal screen names. The same with avatars. But I do judge a bit on how people spell. If they spell like a paraplegic orangutan then that's what I think of them.

Example of paraplegic orangutan spelling:

Hey!!!1!1 i want 2 talk bout str trek! i want no how 2 get pic on side of words1 i want cake...

I just can't stand that and I don't take people like that seriously :lol:

Not really, there aren't many people with personal screen names. The same with avatars. But I do judge a bit on how people spell. If they spell like a paraplegic orangutan then that's what I think of them.

Hey!!!1!1 i want 2 talk bout str trek! i want no how 2 get pic on side of words1 i want cake...

I just can't stand that and I don't take people like that seriously :hug:

337035[/snapback]

:lol: That's funny as hell. I hate went people spell like that. It take 2 minutes to respond to the post, but half an hour trying to figure out what you're responding to. :hug:

I believe we can be unaware of it but it probably always happens.

I know when-ever I see anything new for the first time my mind automatically connects it to at least one adjective - cool, dumb, ugly, beautiful, etc which leads to a moment of acceptance or disapproval. It's a natural thought process imo,

Take this post for example, you just saw it for the first time; examine your thoughts, did you make a judgment about what you saw printed above?

What is important is what you do or do not do next. :lol:

i don't judge someone by their screen name. i look at a screen name and i'm trying to figure out where it might be from. like star trek or something else. i also am curious sometimes about how they chose their screen name.

tm :lol:

336543[/snapback]

I suppose "Phaserman" falls under "How in the hell did you come up with that?"

I try not to judge someone by their usernames. Any info I need will become available when you start reading posts.

I don't judge others based on there user name.   It does give me a clue to the person character.  Once I get to know them I "see" the person and not the user name.

336039[/snapback]

I don't judge people on their username. I do however more often then not associate people with their avatar instead of their screenname, whenever someone well known changes theirs I often get royally confused. It takes me a few seconds to consider looking at their name. :lol:

336124[/snapback]

I just can't stand that and I don't take people like that seriously :hug:

337035[/snapback]

ditto

ditto

and kinda-ditto

:hug:

BTW, I do at times try to convey the attitude and likenesses of my screen name, although I know that many of you saw my screen name for the first time and couldn't even figure out how to pronounce it...much less what to think of it. B)

Edited by Eratosthenes

I've just done the same thing... *weirds out on lack of avatars*

Nope i dont judge anyone by their siggy or avatar,i belive i have to get to know you before i can pass judgement :)

One thing i cant stand is people who jump down other members throats cuz they missed spelled :) ...i mean havent you got anything better to do :)