Sign in to follow this  
LadyNarana

Grand Nagus Zek

I was just watching The Nanny. Does anyone else think that Fran Fine sounds just like Zek when he's trying to be charming?

"Oh, Mr. Sheffield!"

Is the guy who plays Zek in DS9 and the school teacher from Clueless the same guy?

Yes - same guy - Wallace Shawn. He's one of those guys you recognize when you see him but you don't know what his name is. He does lots of voice work too (Rex in Toy Story 1 & 2 to name just two movies fcstil_1160a.jpg ) He's pretty amazing guy:

Awards:

1975: Obie: Playwright, Our Late Night

1985: Obie: Distinguished Playwriting, Aunt Dan and Lemon

1990: Obie: Best New American Play, The Fever

Education:

Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts; B.A., History

Oxford University, Oxford, England; studied philosophy, politics, economics

Fulbright Scholar; taught English in India

For more on his career Wallace Shawn

Zek was a good character...

So funny in a way...

And I like the developpement DS9 did around Ferengi.. They weren't just puppet like troll like they seem to be in TNG. And well, that was a good perspective.

I found him quite annoying on Murphy Brown but thought he did a great job in The Princess Bride

I KNEW i'd heard that voice before. That's it, the balding guy in the Princess Bride. Thanks VBG, you have no idea how long that has been annoying me.

I saw Wallace Shawn once; only a glimpse. But I've enjoyed him in everything I've ever seen him in, from The Cosby Show to DS9.

It's the only time I had ever seen a Star Trek actor until this last weekend when Kirstie Alley walked into the store where I worked. I forgot all about Saavik until after she left. Patrick Stewart was in a few years ago. Not bad for a store in a poor-ish county in Maine.

If it had been almost any ST except Alley, I might not have been able to keep myself from humiliating myself and asking for an autograph!

I do think that he did a great job as Zek though, but I had not realized exactly who he was.

Yeah, he was great as Zek. I can't imagine anyone else filling that role.

Shawn was most recently on an episode of "Desperate Housewives". He played Teri Hatcher's crooked agent.

I do think that he did a great job as Zek though, but I had not realized exactly who he was.

Yeah, he was great as Zek. I can't imagine anyone else filling that role.

That is so true. A lot of what makes him great is his voice.