Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

What is your religious bloodline?

I wasn't quite sure how to word that question but when I read Gamera's thread about your ancestors countries of origin - I thought there's more to ancestor research than just what country they're from. I am intrigued when I can find out something about their lives.

For example, I have one line that goes back to Salzburg (Austria) immigrants to Georgia; I did a little reading and found out that they were fleeing an anti-protestant political environment.

I also discovered several generations of Quakers (Society of Friends) in my ancestry; another faith I didn't know a lot about. During the colonial days, before the US became a country, different colonies had laws against the Quakers and in Boston at least one person was hanged for being Quaker. Something I find interesting - the Quakers were the first group to offer education to girls as well as boys. An aside to genealogists - the records they kept of their monthly meetings are a researcher's dream.

As an adult I came across a life story written by a great aunt who tells of being a Mormon in the South where neighbors wouldn't let their children play with her.

Since I did grow up in the South I have quite a few Baptist relatives/ ancestors and for a while my mom and I used to go to my oldest sister's church where she was my Sunday School teacher. I found out years later that my mother had dated the preacher at that church before she met my dad. This was a small rural church, no AC and I remember him loosening his tie, rolling up the shirt sleeves and truly pounding the pulpit. I can still recall that image of him including the sweat pouring down his face. My mom took one of my nephews to church with her and she said his little lip quivered and he asked "why is that man yelling?" Ironically he delivered the eulogy at my father's funeral (my father wasn't a particularly religious man). I have to wonder if they still make macaroni art at Vacation Bible School (if they even still have Vacation Bible School?) And this is more to do with culture than religion but OMG, do I remember the dinners they used to have on the church grounds plates piled high with home made fried chicken, biscuits, potato salad and every dessert you could imagine.

Since my great grandmother's father never married her mother I have no records of him and I will probably never know what tribe he was from (Cherokee or Seminole) but there is an opportunity for a completely different religious heritage.

What does this mean - no more than what countries my ancestors are from but I thought it was interesting. I am intrigued by people and their lives.

On my Mother's side, the family was predominantly Catholic for centuries.

But one branch of my Irish ancestors were protostant, and were land owners in Ireland. 11 castles they had. They "came" to America just before the revolution, really they were forced out or be hanged, long story. Eventually that line of that family became Catholic. Interesting side note, my cousin went to are school in Ireland, and one of the schools projects was rebuilding one of the family castles. Love that! :P

My Mother was raised Catholic until one day my Grandmother said no more. My Mom grew up in a very small town in the center of the country. Her Aunt had married a Methodist, and she rotated her weeks at church between the Catholic parish and the Methodist church. About 6 months after she began doing this, the Priest gave a sermon which my Grandmother took as him preaching a lesson and judging her sister about her choice to visit her husbands church, as he did hers.

As far as I know, Grandma never went back to a Catholic church, and so started the mixture my family is now.

My father was a first generation American, the last of 6 children, born very late in life. His family imigrated to America from Cornwall England in the 20's for better job opportunities.

Episcopalian is how he was raised.

I remember going down to the church in their neighborhood for the pasty dinners. :thumbs: Table after table after table filled with them. :eek:

Ironically my siblings and I went to a presbyterian church, had catholic school education, and by the time we were teenagers we all branched off into discovering and understanding different religions.

From Buddhism to Seventh Day Adventists, we are now leaving an interesting history for future generations.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

According to my mother, pretty much our entire family has been Baptist or various Christian denominations for generations. Methodist on one side of the family, I think.

I'll only refer to my mother's side, as I don't claim the other half of my family tree anymore for personal reasons...

Grandparents were Baptist, mother was raised Baptist, but I was raised in a Christian church. I consider myself a Baptist now or at least a mix of the two denoms.

TUH: We still had VBS when I was a young kid in the Christian church, and it seems every Christian/Baptist church around here still does. My grandma still has a piece of my old macaroni art sitting on her book shelf. lol. Those were fun times.

Three cheers for pot-lucks! I've had home-cooked meals with Baptists, Christians and Catholics and they're all incredible. My mouth's going to start watering just thinking about it all...

my dads side was mostly Methodists, my mothers mostly Lutheran, with most of the other religions scattered through out. I consider myself first and foremost a Christian. The church I attend is Lutheran, I am quit conservative in my beliefs

My great-grandmother was a Choctaw and practiced a combination of Christianity and tribal rites.My mother was Pentecostal.My dad was raised a Methodist,but toward the end of his life he didn't claim any particular sect and only described himself as a Christian.I'm the same way.I'm not Baptist,Methodist,or Lutheran..I'm just a Christian.

I am not sure exactly what denominations go back to which part of my family line... but I can say that on my dad's side is pretty much Lutheran. On my mom's was mainly Methodist, but she belongs with the Lutheran church. I am Lutheran, though I have had points in my life I have contemplated converting to Catholic or another faith...but then come right back to deciding I am happy being with the faith I was brought into as an infant. My sister converted to Catholocism prior to her marriage. And my mom's side of the family(in regards to her seven siblings) belong to various denominations.

IMO Religion has nothing to do with bloodline..

People choose to pray whatever god they want..For example your family could be Jewish and you accept Christ..

No relation to bloodline but to individual choice

I have worked on my genealogy over the years and have Catholics, Puritans, Quakers, Lutherans, Church of England, Evangelical United Brethren, Methodists and Christian Scientists in my ancestors past.

On the Irish side of the family at one point boys became Protestants, going to Church with their father and girls became Catholics going to church with their mother.

My English born grandfather as a boy worked at a church shared by Methodists and Baptists in a small town in Illinois. There was a dispute over the hymn books and he sat on them to prevent the Baptists from taking them out of the church.

The Christian Scientists were a very interesting group. They once went on a trip to Boston with an aunt who was not Christian Scientist. This aunt was not allowed to go into the Mother Church in Boston and was quite cranky about it for years!

Religion and how it shapes and affects families is quite interesting imo.

Edited by trekz

IMO Religion has nothing to do with bloodline..

People choose to pray whatever god they want..For example your family could be Jewish and you accept Christ..

No relation to bloodline but to individual choice

332317[/snapback]

From my original post:

What does this mean - no more than what countries my ancestors are from but I thought it was interesting. I am intrigued by people and their lives.

I think it was clear that the whole point was that it is interesting - no one said it determined what faith you are now. I didn't even mention what faith I am now.

I'm not entirely sure, but i think most of my latest (2 to 4 generations before me) ancestors were christian, and before that i believe it was Catholic (as they were french)

Well....

My Father is an Atheist and my Mother (his ex-wife) was a former Catholic who later converted to Presbyerianism.

My mother was adopted, so I've no idea what her "traditional" backround is, and my Grandparents on my father's side were both Episcopalians who never went to church.

I am myself a Buddhist (Zen/Theravadan) and have been now for eight years.