• flute
    • trumpet/coronet
    • violin
    • clarinet
    • other woodwind
    • other brass
    • other percussion
    • other string

Did you take music lessons as a child? Or even later? Do you play more than one instrument. Which is your favorite? Have you participated in a band or symphony.

I played clarinet in 6-12th grades in school band. I've taken about a year of piano and a year of violin as an adult but didn't have time to pursue it.

I love the violin and sometimes wish I had learned flute rather than clarinet.

Do or will you children take music lessons?

How do you feel about music education being eliminated from public schools?

I'm a drummer,my parents got me my first drum set back when I was in the 7th grade.I have played in a couple of rock and roll bands and played in the orchestra for a few staged musicals.

I don't play as much as I used to now,but from time to time I still like to bang out a few tunes,its great for relieving stress!

I have a guitar I havn't learned to play yet.. B)

I enjoy singing much better than playing an instrument... :lol:

I started out playing alto sax in 5th grade. Played that until 9th grade when i switched to tenor. In 11th, i switched to Baritone for marching band and tuba for concert band. My senior year I marched bass and made All-State in West Virginia on tuba. In college at Marshall University, I played contra for 3 years and was in symphony before giving up band...too time consuming. I never took lessons, just learned in school and taught myself. It was a lot of fun...made a lot of lasting friendships from band. It's a shame that music programs are being cut all the time...there just isn't any emphasis on the arts anymore, except for pop culture...which is a waste of time IMO...most aren't real musicans...they can sing, but can;t play an instrument and everything is synthesized.

I used to take piano, but I never practiced, so I got kicked out of lessons :lol:

Then I tried to take violin, but the bow really hurt my fingers, so I quit after a semester.

I never really got into playing instruments....

I took piano lessons as a child.

I also took it back up in high school for a short while.

Can still play--well, kinda, sorta.

I play the trumpet, and have taken lessons for 5 years, I think. I also play the Horn in F, since 6th grade, 5 years ago. I just began to take piano lessons, but I've played the piano since 5th grad, 6 years ago. I sing, and have been in chorus from the start, in kindergarten, 11 years ago. I can also play the Irish tinwhistle (yes, I like to play The Inner Light), I have a bagpipe practice chanter. I like to compose music, as well. Music is an integral part of my life. Every moment of my life involves music, directly or subconciously. I love playing, making , and listening to music.

~Conor

I play the trumpet, and have taken lessons for 5 years, I think.  I also play the Horn in F, since 6th grade, 5 years ago.  I just began to take piano lessons, but I've played the piano since 5th grad, 6 years ago.  I sing, and have been in chorus from the start, in kindergarten, 11 years ago.  I can also play the Irish tinwhistle (yes, I like to play The Inner Light), I have a bagpipe practice chanter.  I like to compose music, as well.  Music is an integral part of my life.  Every moment of my life involves music, directly or subconciously.  I love playing, making , and listening to music. 

~Conor

With your screen name I was so expecting you to play the violin.

I tried to pick up a couple instruments in elementary school, but never spent the time practicing. Years later I picked up the guitar and loved it. I took lessons at school one semester, but most of my learning has been on my own with books, tab, and what not. I love to learn about theory almost as much as I like playing. I need to spend more time with both, though.

Someday I'd love to learn how to play piano, or sax.

Predominantly, I play clarinet..which I have been teaching myself how to play since 1999. I play professionally in my family's German "oompah" band(we play at Oktoberfest festivals around Florida, well our family band is rather new, only playing since 2002. but, my dad has been a musician since he was9, my mom since she married my dad in 1976, my brother since he was 11.)

I also play guitar(relearning now that I have a guitar of my own, got it for my birthday this year), recorder(since I was around 16), keyboards/piano-not very good though, played on and off since i was taught, by my mom when I was 5; xylophone/glockenspiel/Chinese blocks(member of an Orff group in Elementary school), tamborine/shakers/triangle/slide whistle-these I play during certain songs during our performances. And sing-though IMO, not very well..I am an alto(with a range from soprano to high tenor)

Tried violin, but my bad wrist prevets me from playing( can't turn my left wrist enough to comfortably reach the strings on the neck :) ) God, I love that instrument's sound though! also tried trombone, saxophone, and trumpet-those just were not for me!

Want to play: flute, oboe, and marimba.

As I mentioned earlier in this post...

My dad-(accordion-since he was 9, keyboards, some guitar)

My mom-(drums, keyboards, piano...and whether or not she'd admit it-quite a singer, she too is a fellow alto..but her voice is better than mine,IMO)

My brother-(tuba, sousaphone, trombone, bass trombone, Cajun tie/scrubboard, ocarina, recorder, also sings-baritone,almost bass..tried clarinet,trumpet,saxophone, guitar)

My sister-(French horn, flugel horn, trumpet, pocket trumpet, E-flat horn, flute, violin, recorder, piano/keyboards, and she is a low soprano-sings at her church. Instruments tried other than what she plays: nearly everything she can try! Still wants to get a hold of bagpipes.)

I play a mean kazoo! :)

Oh you mean real instruments. Um.....no, I don't play anything. winker.gif

When I was a child I was forced to play the flute :)

No, just kidding, I liked it but as I got older I got other interests than playing an instrument.... :blink:

Maybe I will catch my flute again one day and play a little bit...

Mrs. Captain Picard B)

" sing a sooonnggg , you're the piano man..."

I did some piano when I was young.

But my main instrument is my voice :-)

Do a lot of singing