Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

What is life?

Myself I am a God fearing man, but I am a firm believer that there is not an after life. My belief is that once we have completed our time on earth we cease to exist, that is why I do my best to live each day to the fullest. I used to believe in an afterlife when I was younger but the belief just caused to many questions for me to continue the belief. Such as:

If the after life is so great why would God, who loves all his creations, make us live out lives here one earth?

Who is to say that our existance here on earth is not the after life and that we do not just continue to live out different lives over and over again?

And finally:

If the after life exists and is such a great place to be, why would we be discouraged by religious beliefs against ending someone's life? I mean if they are going to a better place should we not be rewarded for releasing them from a dull miserable existance?

The questions are a large part of my disbelief in an after life.

how can you not believe in an afterlife? :lol: (baffled

If you believe in everlasting life, there is no afterlife.

I believe RC stated that death was it, which confused me too. I'm not sure I understand the distinction between the term everlasting life or "afterlife". I do believe we will be resurrected into immortality from a state of death.

QUOTE (Lollypop @ Jun 22 2003, 04:13 PM)

Let me ask you this then Captain Jean-Luc Picard " If Adam and Eve were the first 2 " and Cain and Abel were their only children. After Cain killed Abel he went to the land of Nod and took a wife... Where did she come from?

The Bible never states Cain and Abel were the only children of Adam and Eve; Gen 3:20 states states she was callled Eve because she was the mother of all living. Gen 5: 4 also references that Adam begat sons and daughters.

CJLP, I did have one question for you. You mentioned the spirit inside of us comes from God, but do you have any ideas when or how?

how can you not believe in an afterlife? :lol: (baffled

If you believe in everlasting life, there is no afterlife.

I believe RC stated that death was it, which confused me too. I'm not sure I understand the distinction between the term everlasting life or "afterlife". I do believe we will be resurrected into immortality from a state of death.

When people speak of the afterlife I understand it to me that a person is going to heaven when they die and will spend eternity there. Everlasting life means life on Earth not in heaven. The belief that when the Earth is free of evil and suffering that people will be resurrected and live forever on a Paradise Earth.

Those asleep in the grave but who are in God's memory will be resurrected, not to heaven, but to life on a cleansed earth. (Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-13, 25; Acts 24:15)

RC, if I have misrepresented your beliefs please forgive me. I was doing research on the web and hope that I have captured the essence correctly.

Then I should have said Cain, and Abel were the first 2, but it never explains after Cain killed Abel he went to the land of Nod, east of Eden and took a wife, and they had a son named Enoch. Where did she come from ?

It's a well known fact that just 2 people can't replenish a planet. Too much interbreeding causes the line to die out.

Then I should have said Cain, and Abel were the first 2, but it never explains after Cain killed Abel he went to the land of Nod, east of Eden and took a wife, and they had a son named Enoch. Where did she come from ?

It's a well known fact that just 2 people can't replenish a planet. Too much interbreeding causes the line to die out.

I have heard one "theory" that the first man and woman were "healthier" or more genetically pure than current humans and that years of Earth life have weakened us which is why inbreeding now would be hazardous but necessarily in the beginning.

There is also a theory based on analysis of mitochondrial DNA that all humans are descended from a single female which at least some scientists believe.

RC, if I have misrepresented your beliefs please forgive me.  I was doing research on the web and hope that I have captured the essence correctly.

You explained it wonderfully Takara. B) I believe that a person (or animal) is a spirit, not has a spirit. CJLP, I do believe that a few people will go to heaven, but only the 144,000 spoken of in Revelation. I take that to be a litteral number. Their "spirit" will not go to heaven, but rather God will transform them into spirit creatures to take their place as rulers with Jesus. I believe that after Armagedon the Earth will be restored to paradise for faithful humans to live on forever. That is my hope. I have no desire to go to heaven. I look forward to living on a paradise earth. Hope that makes sense.

It says in the Holy Bible that God breathed life, a soul, into man. Never mentions anything about animals having a soul

Gen 1:20 says "God went on to say: Let the waters swarm forth a swarm of living souls"

Let me ask you this then Captain Jean-Luc Picard " If Adam and Eve were the first 2 " and Cain and Abel were their only children. After Cain killed Abel he went to the land of Nod and took a wife... Where did she come from ?

Cain and Abel were not Their only children. Gen; 5: 3,4: "Adam lived on for a hundred and thirty years. Then he became father to a son in his likeness, in his image, and he called his name Seth. And the days of Adam after fathering Seth came to be eight hundred years. Meanwhile he became father to sons and daughters."

Gen:4:16,17: Cain went away from the face of God and took up residence in the land of Fugitiveness (or Nod) to the east of Eden. Afterward Cain had intercourse with his wife and she became pregnant and gave birth to Enoch"

It doesn't indicate that he met his wife in Nod, just that that was where he had sexual relations with her. Since Adem and Eve were the parents of all humans it makes sense that he married a sister. That may be weird to us now, but in that time it wouldn't have been.

I have heard one "theory" that the first man and woman were "healthier" or more genetically pure than current humans and that years of Earth life have weakened us which is why inbreeding now would be hazardous but necessarily in the beginning.

There is also a theory based on analysis of mitochondrial DNA that all humans are descended from a single female which at least some scientists believe.

I'm getting tired of typing so I'll just say that I agree. :lol:

CJLP, I did have one question for you.  You mentioned the spirit inside of us comes from God, but do you have any ideas when or how?

I've allways believed it happened at conception. As for "how"? I'd assume that life would begin in a similar manner as to when it ends.

That was on the discovery channel about the origin of man. They say we started in Africa with one tribe, and one woman in this tribe carried the DNA that modern man has. But I must point out they weren't the only tribe.