Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

The Greatest American

2 uniquely American things we gave the world are:

1. The Banjo

2. Jazz music

Don't forget the blues Kor.

328168[/snapback]

Wow. How could I forget the Blues?..............I'm always singin' 'em..........

Don't forget the blues Kor.

328168[/snapback]

Wow. How could I forget the Blues?..............I'm always singin' 'em..........

328169[/snapback]

:naughty::naughty::naughty:

I was wondering when you guys would get around to this. We had a Greatest Canadian competition a few months ago. The winner ended up being Tommy Douglas, the father of Medicare in Canada.

And in case anyone is wondering, Shatner made the list at 56.

Here's a link for anyone interested in taking a look:

http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/

There are some dubious additions to the list as well (i.e. Pamela Anderson).

Some of my Greatest Britons would include, Shakespeare, Queen Elizabeth I, Henry VIII, Brunel, Churchill, Darwin, HG Wells, Newton, The Beatles, Nelson, Cromwell, Shackleton, Cook, Fleming, Queen Victoria, Faraday, Hawking, Wilberforce, Queen Boudicca, Paine, Dickens, Baird, Drake, Nightingale, Bell, Stephenson, Caxton, Tolkien (British S. African) and many many others.

Click For Spoiler
union%20jack1.jpg

but those all came form other countries, when the immirgrants came here. i'm talking about something that is American in origin. Too me, the only thing we have given the world, culturally, are movies, TV shows, and some music.

It still all blends together to create a uniquely American culture.

For example, Irish-Americans have their own culture, but it's significantly different to the culture in Eire itself.

Movies, TV shows and music are significant cultural contributions, in addition to literature, the U.S. Constitution which many nations modelled their own governments upon, the economic system which has been used as the definative free-market model....and so forth.

It's all part of an American culture.

328145[/snapback]

I'd never thought of it that way.

I think the greatest American for me is Abraham Lincoln, and one of my favorite speeches of his is the Second Inaugural Address.

But I think sometimes people confuse greatness with fame.

I think the greatest American for me is Abraham Lincoln, and one of my favorite speeches of his is the Second Inaugural Address.

But I think sometimes people confuse greatness with fame.

328825[/snapback]

Isn't that the truth? People today are so lacking in any sort of moral grounding, historical grounding, and basic awareness that they can't recognize real quality or greatness even if stands up and bites them on the rear-end.

Entertainers should not even have been included on this dubious list! That makes the whole thing just another VH1 countdown (Lord knows we could use a few more of those ... gives Leif Garrett something to do.)

I would say that maybe certain entertainers could be on the list, but only if their contributions to the American arts have been significant enough. For Example, Steven Speilberg and Micheal Moore wouldn't be considered, because they make movies. But Thomas Edison, who was not only an inventor, but the original movie maker, INVENTED the Movies, so he would be considered.

These are the top 25 for people to vote for (according the program, which aired tonight):

Muhammad Ali, Lance Armstrong, Neil Armstrong, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Walt Disney, Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, Henry Ford, Benjamin Franklin, Bill Gates, Billy Graham, Bob Hope, Thomas Jefferson, John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Jr., Abraham Lincoln, Rosa Parks, Elvis Presley, Ronald Reagan, Eleanor Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt, George Washington, Oprah Winfrey and the Wright Brothers.

imo considering the original 100, this top 25 could have been much worse, though it ignores musicians, writers, and artists completely.

These are the top 25 for people to vote for (according the program, which aired tonight):

Muhammad Ali, Lance Armstrong, Neil Armstrong, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Walt Disney, Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, Henry Ford, Benjamin Franklin, Bill Gates, Billy Graham, Bob Hope, Thomas Jefferson, John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Jr., Abraham Lincoln, Rosa Parks, Elvis Presley, Ronald Reagan, Eleanor Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt, George Washington, Oprah Winfrey and the Wright Brothers.

imo considering the original 100, this top 25 could have been much worse, though it ignores musicians, writers, and artists completely.

329058[/snapback]

Not quite. Elvis Presley was...a musician. Bob Hope---a comedian. and Walt Disney was a writer, and founder of Walt Disney Corporation, and we ALL know what that is.

Yes, those three do qualify. I was hoping for Mark Twain as an author - and wishing they had originally included Hemingway, Steinbeck or some other major American novelists. As far as musicians, I wish they had included Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, etc. And as far as artists - I was thinking painters such as Norman Rockwell, Georgia O'Keefe, etc. who should have been included imo.

Personally I'm rooting for Lincoln, Washington, Franklin, Jefferson or Edison in that order.

Benedict Arnold  :(

329016[/snapback]

He actually was a hero at one time, but that was before he became a traitor. Now, in the United States his name is the very meaning of the word traitor. If you call someone a "Benedict Arnold" they will know exactly what your meaning is.

As for who I'd want to be named the Greatest, I don't think it should be a big surprise to anyone here that's been here for a while who I'm pulling for. 2 men that I've always admired a great deal are in the top 25, that's not to say that the other 23 are any less deserving (though some of them are). One of them probably shouldn't be named the "greatest" but I'd be happy if he was and the other, in my opinion should be named the greatest.

Can anyone guess who the 2 are that I'm pulling for?

The ironic thing is that the British considered Benedict Arnold a traitor too and NEVER trusted him either.

The logic they used is that if he could betray his own people, then who was to say he wouldn't turn on us too?

Is one of them Ronald Reagan?

Edited by The King

I'm sure Ronald Reagan is one of them..And I agree with that! As for the other..I'm not sure..I know that you admired Reggie White..

Yes, Ronald Reagan is one of them. He's the one that in my opinion should win it. The other one is in the top 25 and I've spoken of him at times and I know for sure that Amy could tell everyone who he is.

The ironic thing is that the British considered Benedict Arnold a traitor too and NEVER trusted him either.

The logic they used is that if he could betray his own people, then who was to say he wouldn't turn on us too?

329366[/snapback]

If he hadn't turned traitor he likely would have been known as one of Americas greatest Revolutionary war heros and surely would have been counted among the "founding fathers" likely having a prominent role in the Washington Administration.

I am shocked that no one has even proposed Roddenberry to date (even as a joke). Didn't take long for people to suggest Shatner when I set up the Greatest Canadian thread.

329363[/snapback]

So we know Reagan - does the other one wear Blue Suede Shoes?

329376[/snapback]

"ThankYou, ThankYouVeryMuch"

Reagan should definately be high on the list, along with Mrs. Thatcher, he ended and won the Cold War. That's an achievement that must be recognised with a high placing.

Elvis also should be high on the list due to his iconic status which is a integral part of "Americana" culture.

I am shocked that no one has even proposed Roddenberry to date (even as a joke). Didn't take long for people to suggest Shatner when I set up the Greatest Canadian thread.

329381[/snapback]

Did you read the initial post?

TheUnicornHunter  May 30 2005, 05:05 PM Post #1 

And Gene Roddenberry and Isaac Asimov didn't make the list - not that I would necessarily vote for them but IMO their contribution to American Society was at least as great as Martha Stewarts  .

I think the debate really centers on how we define "great" both as an individual and as an American. Many of the people on the original list made some significant cultural or financial contributions to American society but does that make them a great person or a great American.

IMO, and just my opinion a "great" person is someone dedicates their lives to a cause bigger than themselves. Only a handful of the people on the original list qualified. Another defining quality of "great" is someone who risks their life for others - so IMO all those who served honorably in the nation's armed forces deserve to be considered "great" people. Many of the people on the list did serve -quite a few WWII vets.

But even outside of the service the ultimate sacrifice may be necessary. I think six of the original 100 were assassinated because others didn't "approve" of their work.

Of the remaining 25 - I voted for Lincoln.

IMO the greatest American would be neither a politician, celebrity or person of wealth and privilege; but rather just a hard working regular guy or gal who lived for something greater than themselves and improved the lives of others through their efforts.

Bill Gates? Bush? Clinton? Were they on drugs?

The people on the one forum I go to are going to have a good time making fun if this! :(

Well from that list I like Einstein; what type of nerd would I be if I didn’t?

Edited by BKY1701

Native Americans such as Sitting Bull, Tecumseh and athlete Jim Thorpe.

328043[/snapback]

If it makes you feel better, Tecumseh came in 37th in the list of 100 Greatest Canadians. He made the list partially based on his alliance with General Sir Isaac Brock in the capturing of Detroit in the War of 1812. Without Tecumseh and the Shawnee, Upper Canada may have fallen in the war.

I was wondering when you guys would get around to this. We had a Greatest Canadian competition a few months ago. The winner ended up being Tommy Douglas, the father of Medicare in Canada.

And in case anyone is wondering, Shatner made the list at 56.

Here's a link for anyone interested in taking a look:

http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/

There are some dubious additions to the list as well (i.e. Pamela Anderson).

328186[/snapback]

Even more dubious was Hal Anderson coming in at #34. He's a Winnipeg dj who used his morning radio show to have his listeners nominate and vote for him. I really don't like this guy.

Some of my Greatest Britons would include, Shakespeare, Queen Elizabeth I, Henry VIII, Brunel, Churchill, Darwin, HG Wells, Newton, The Beatles, Nelson, Cromwell, Shackleton, Cook, Fleming, Queen Victoria, Faraday, Hawking, Wilberforce, Queen Boudicca, Paine, Dickens, Baird, Drake, Nightingale, Bell, Stephenson, Caxton, Tolkien (British S. African) and many many others.

328187[/snapback]

King, you didn't give the link for the BBC program from 2002 regarding Great Britons so I will. :(

329058[/snapback]

I'm pleasantly surprised to see Muhammad Ali on the list - an Islamic draft dodger - who'd a thunk it.

I don't agree with Lance Armstrong being on the list. Yes I know he has overcome the odds by beating his cancer and winning the Tour de France but there are a lot of brave unknown people out there who have beaten cancer (or other diseases)and done great thing for their community. And there are also a lot of athletes who have overcome great odds to triumph in their sport as well.

I don't agree with George W. Bush being on the list. He's polarized Americans and polarized the world more than any US President has in my lifetime.

I can agree with Bob Hope being on the list but more for his committment to entertaining your troops through the USO starting back in WWII.

Sorry VBG, but Elvis shouldn't be there IMO. Sure he was a great singer and influential to modern era music but I don't think he should be on the list. I'm not a Reagan fan so I'll not say anything about him to make up for it. LOL

Thanks for that link Takara, although there are many people on that list of Great Britons who have no business being there IMO.

Princess Diana for one.

"Looking pretty and wearing sparkling jewels does not make one great"

- Yoda

:( :blush::blush:

The greatest Canadian list must surely have included Constable Benton Fraser from "Due South" which is a show I absolutely loved. That dude did more to make Canada look cool than anyone else. :laugh: