Sign in to follow this  
jdigs

Sir or Ma'am

32 members have voted

1. 1. Sir or Ma'am

• Sir
    • Ma'am

Guess I better ditch that photo that just miraculously "appeared" on my computer.

:rolleyes: :ph34r:

But the pic just won't delete. I keep deleting it and it comes right back, I think it is demanding to be seen. :devil: :huh:

giggle.gif I hate to say this, but I'm actually curious now.

I will have to post it when I get home after I fix the one in the other thread. Just remember you asked for it.

I think many of us females don't like the term m'am, because it's often associated with a woman who is older.  Personally I've never liked the term.  Yet, I would not want anyone to say yes sir to me either, as I am definitely not a man.  My preference would be to be addressed by my rank....example Aye Captain, etc.... B) I wish there was another word that implied respect for a female officer.  But since there isn't .......guess m'am will have to be my choice. :lol:

Aptly put. I wonder why there isn't one?

"Sir" all the way.  I think that's the coolest thing ever that they call their female officers "sir."  Well, maybe not ever, but it still ranks up there.  I'd love it if people called me "sir."  I just think "sir" sounds a whole lot better than "ma'am."

But this is the subject of some of my favorite dialogue from Voyager:

Janeway: Despite Starfleet protocol, I don't like being addressed as sir.

Kim: Yes...ma'am?

Janeway: Ma'am will do in a crunch. But I prefer Captain.

[later on]

Kim: Yes, Ma'am.

Janeway: It's not crunch time yet, Mr. Kim. I'll let you know when.

I'll let you know when.  *giggles*  Poor Harry.

I don't think I could ever get used to being called "sir", but I don't like ma'am either.

I love Janeway's take on it though, and would prefer being addressed by rank also.

At first this habit of addressing female officers as "sir" bugged the heck out of me,but after so many years I've gotten used to the idea.And I know many women who dislike being called "Ma'am".So,I vote for sir.

I live in the South, and many of my students are very polite, and address me as ma'am. I am not at all offended, and like the fact that these young people afford me respect as their elder. I find that such students are usually just as respectful of their peers.

In a military body, they need to decide which term is to be used, because they can't pick a term based on an individual officer's preference. They have to be consistent.