Sign in to follow this  
deagletime

Just a thought on why ent failed

I was thinking.. other than the last five minutes of Bound, can anyone ever think of a time when the charecters on Enterprise were funny? Im not talking knee slapper funny.. but like spock and bones arguing funny or Odo and Quark playing tricks on each other funny or Data and everyone else for being data funny.. i know it seems pretty insignificant.. but i always thought it put a spin during an episode after a pretty intense battle scene or some major developement ...

It seems the whole series was revamped for nothing but action and T&A

some of my favorites:

"why that green blooded SOB.. its his revenge for all the arguments he lost"

"Data enough!" " Sorry Sir"

"Sir I AM NOT a Merry man!"

'Are you in love with me ensign, Do you wish to copulate? Take of your clothes, I will not harm you" (had me on the ground rollilng)

and the list goes on and on

Yeah, sometimes a show really needs some comic relief. Even DS9 had its moments. Anything that had to do with Ferengies was a riot.

That's an opinion I've always had as well. The ENT crew just seemed to lack the camaraderie of the other series (of which humor is a big part). I mean, DS9 had it's funny parts, and it was supposed to be the darkest series :waaaa: . Other than a few Trip scenes, one or two T'Pol scenes, and maybe when the Doctor did that defensive thing with his face, I can't remember much comedy in the series... :blink:

Well, I remember in one episode that Hoshi referred to Mayweather's practical jokes, but I do not think we actually saw one.

i remember something bout a chair other wise i think im drawing a blank

324661[/snapback]

You might be thinking of the season 2 episode Singularity:

Synopsis:

Click For Spoiler

Another season 2 episode "The Breach" had some great lines especially from Trip.

Synopsis:

Click For Spoiler

I'm trying to remember which episode had the great scene where Trip was saying to Malcolm that in the future families may even be allowed on starships. Malcolm's response was regarding counsellors being available if his family were allowed onboard.

Hoshi referred to Mayweather's practical jokes, but I do not think we actually saw one.

The biggest practical joke on Enterprise was having Anthony Montgomery show up for work every day and not ever having anything to say. I think he received his lines written on post-it notes.....lol

I love the Star Trek humours. Now that its mentioned, I can't remember much about ENT humour. I think its darker than DS9.

That's a fair point, I hadn't thought about that, there really wasn't much humour in the series at all.

One dimentional characters ..maybe? Why should they be humorous if they were just supposed to make the Captian and t'pol look good?

Imo ENT was multi-faceted including gobs of humor; sometimes getting or appreciating the humor was left to the viewer.

While reading posts on different Trek sites around the web I get the impression Newbies, (ENT is their first Trek [and if their opinion has not been poisoned by hateful bashers]) find more humor in ENT than (many) seasoned Fans do. I attribute that to their not yet experiencing other Trek to compare it to.

It seems the whole series was revamped for nothing but action and T&A

Although I understand the producers reasons I hate the changes they began making in season 2, they only hurt the show by disrupting the shows flow & internal continuity.

There seemed to be more light humor in the beginning, but around the time of the Xindi arc, the humor on Enerprise sometimes seemed darker than most other Treks - more "DS9-like". I found something funny in most Enterprise episodes, but maybe that's because I love dark humor. :thumbs:

There seemed to be more light humor in the beginning, but around the time of the Xindi arc, the humor on Enerprise sometimes seemed darker than most other Treks - more "DS9-like". I found something funny in most Enterprise episodes, but maybe that's because I love dark humor.  :look: 

325070[/snapback]

I agree 100%, in the beginning there was lots of light humor, but as the story became more darker....the places for those lighter moments became smaller and smaller..season long story arc "searching for Xindi" ...and all the run-ins with bad guys left Archer's charactor..."without much sense of humor"

Remember the Shower scene were the grav plating failed...

The shooting contest when the shuttle pod lifted off the sphere, and they shot it down.

When Phlox's wife came onboard.

The Forge: when they were chased by a large "Vulcan house pet"..."you had on of those?!?"

The fight between Malcome and the Major, and later being chewed out by Archer..then he leaves the room....they are left standing at attention...."did he say dismissed?"

Trip and Malcome: robbed & stripped and tied up on shore-leave, stranded together in a shuttlepod, then on the Romulan Drone, and crawling around the repair station getting beamed onto the deck infront of T'Pol.

Edited by headborg

Oh, lord, there was WAY more wrong with ENT than humor, although it was sorely missing. Allow me to list a few keys flaws.

(1) The characters. Really, there was very little character development. They were all flat, and most of them rarely interacted with each other. It missed the family-like atmosphere so prevalent in all the other series.

(2) Archer. In seasons 2 and 3, they essentially made him a bad guy. He did many things he himself admitted were immoral. (Torture, etc.) (Fixed in season 4.)

(3) T'Pol. This could just be me, but I HATED that they made her a sex pot and nothing more. At least until season 4. (The last season was EXCELLENT, IMO.) Even Seven, who was undeniably eye candy, had a fascinating character. T'Pol was flat.

(4) The Xindi. TWO SEASONS DEVOTED TO A SINGLE PLOT?! They are insane! Even shows that follow the same primary plot majorly change what's going on a few times a season. (Alias, 24.) ENT, for those two seasons, got SO boring. WE ALL KNOW THE EARTH ISN'T GOING TO BE DESTROYED! THIS IS A PREQUEL!! Ugh. (Fixed in season 4.)

(5) They made the Vulcans evil. What was that? I can certainly understand tension between humans and Vulcans, but ENT went too far. (Fixed in season 4.)

The list goes on, but I'll end my venting here.

Oh, lord, there was WAY more wrong with ENT than humor, although it was sorely missing. Allow me to list a few keys flaws.

(1) The characters. Really, there was very little character development. They were all flat, and most of them rarely interacted with each other. It missed the family-like atmosphere so prevalent in all the other series.

(2) Archer. In seasons 2 and 3, they essentially made him a bad guy. He did many things he himself admitted were immoral. (Torture, etc.) (Fixed in season 4.)

(3) T'Pol. This could just be me, but I HATED that they made her a sex pot and nothing more. At least until season 4. (The last season was EXCELLENT, IMO.) Even Seven, who was undeniably eye candy, had a fascinating character. T'Pol was flat.

(4) The Xindi. TWO SEASONS DEVOTED TO A SINGLE PLOT?! They are insane! Even shows that follow the same primary plot majorly change what's going on a few times a season. (Alias, 24.) ENT, for those two seasons, got SO boring. WE ALL KNOW THE EARTH ISN'T GOING TO BE DESTROYED! THIS IS A PREQUEL!! Ugh. (Fixed in season 4.)

(5) They made the Vulcans evil. What was that? I can certainly understand tension between humans and Vulcans, but ENT went too far. (Fixed in season 4.)

The list goes on, but I'll end my venting here.

328928[/snapback]

Comments by the numbers:

(1) I don't think the characters were flat, just not consistently developed or were poorly conceived to begin with.

Mayweather: a boomer....grew up on a space ship traveling where most other humans had never never been. Enterprise Show- plot concept- Man's first voyages "where no one's gone before"......and when they get there....their young helmsman speaks up and says..."yea, I've been here before." kinda a wet-blanket. At the very least there was lots of room to make his character ambious...after all...in the beginning he was already more qualified to be captain..there should have been more "private intel briefings between Archer and him...things like " well Travis what can we expect to find here?"

Phlox: basically a Swinger, "open marriage" kind of character.....this character was begging to be explored....and the places they could have gone with him would have pushed the limits of the censors( i.e. Orgies, Adultery, etc.)

Archer: I thought it was understandable that his character went from Bad to "school boy" from week to week...afterall his character was under much pressure. I just didn't really like the idea of being the son of the designer & not having any command experience...but being given command of Enterprise because "it's only fitting...it be commanded by Henry Archer's son."

T'Pol: I thought she did a remarkable job, as a first time actor in conveying "deep repressed emotion" with just a look or two. And she was hired as "eye candy" and as a Maxim Super model....she delivered...just wish we could have had more scenes with Long hair.

Xindi: well, they should have been "cancelled out".

Evil Vulcans: don't agree with you there..i don't think they ever came across as "evil" to me. And I think they should have played the tension a little longer.

Edited by headborg

another reason it didn't do well is because everyone doesn't have UPN. I don't, and no other station carries the series. I'm only now able to finally watch this great series because of the seasons coming out on DVD. Right now I'm eagerly, unpatiently awaiting season 2 in July. Why does it have to be so long from now, I want it now! :(

I was browsing around again today when this title caught my eyes again:

Just a thought on why ent failed

I thought and thought.... Did ENT really fail? I mean it certainly finished 4 season. Although there were some problems here and there... they certainly did 4 seasons! Thats more than what TOS has done. And I gladly say that I'm a fan of TOS. Therefore, I can't really say ENT failed. I think they did alright eventhough ENT may not be the best amongst the other series. There certainly were some outstanding episodes out of the whole series. I can't say which yet cos I've not even completed watching season 3 yet.

328928[/snapback]

Only The 3rd Season Was Devoted To The Xindi Plot.

When I think about humor in Enterprise, the first thing that pops into my mind is the fact that Trip got all the "poop jokes."

For example: in S1, he has to answer the "how do you go to the bathroom in space?" question posed from the students on Earth.

In The Xindi, he's crawling around with Archer in the septic tank ("Sewage takes on a different meaning when it's from twelve different species") and Trips gotta suck it up and duck his head under the COMPLETELY REVOLTING sludge... I was laughing harder than anybody in the house.

Enterprise was funny. Maybe I'm just a geek, but damn... "I love Lucy will be on in an hour."

Or even Shuttlepod One when homeboy Reed starts dreaming about T'Pol, giving her pet names. Trip's deadpan "who is (insert pet name I can't remember here)" was to die for.

I mean, sure, it didn't have a Captain Picard Day, but still!

Just because it's fun to trash on the new series, doesn't mean everybody's gotta join in cause it's cool.

I think Phlox was the comic relief, but only one character was not enough. The show did have a different feel. It seemed to be more heavy on the dramatic elements of tv, such as emotional responses, action, and romance (some call it T&A). It did not have the storylines of other trek series, it seemed to be more attuned to the emotional draw it could get versus the plot lines. This kind of drama seems to leave very little room for comic relief.

To me one of the reasons that it failed was due to the people that didn't want to give it a chance in the first place. Before Enterprise even aired many so called "fans" were condeming it because they did not like the idea of going back before Kirk's time.

The whole "It was full of sex" thing cracks me up. I saw more sex on the commercials shown during the show. People seem to forget there was alot of sex and some brief nudity on DS9 and Voyager as well (espeically DS9 with a couple of woman on woman kissing which I personally thought was Great!!)

Enterprise to me was a very good show with some great stories and by the time season 4 came around the episodes were outstanding and connected well with the other Star Trek series.

To me one of the reasons that it failed was due to the people that didn't want to give it a chance in the first place.

Twelve million people gave it a chance. I certainly did. I've given it a chance all the way to the end bar three episodes.

Before Enterprise even aired many so called "fans" were condeming it because they did not like the idea of going back before Kirk's time.

This is nothing new. Star Trek fans have always debated the merits of each concept of each series.

I think that Enterprise got back to a forumla that focused on story more than any of the recent shows and made characterisation subsequent to that, as opposed to the other way around. Like TOS we had a fair bit of characterisation but it alway fit in between a plot focusing on science fiction concepts i.e. alien attack, however in later shows like DS9 and Voyager the relationships were the major focus.

I think that Enterprise was a step up in quality but did not cater towards popularist attitudes.

I think that Enterprise got back to a forumla that focused on story more than any of the recent shows and made characterisation subsequent to that, as opposed to the other way around. Like TOS we had a fair bit of characterisation but it alway fit in between a plot focusing on science fiction concepts i.e. alien attack, however in later shows like DS9 and Voyager the relationships were the major focus.

I think that Enterprise was a step up in quality but did not cater towards popularist attitudes.

342789[/snapback]

I think that Enterprise got back to a forumla that focused on story more than any of the recent shows and made characterisation subsequent to that,

A good show manages to do both, not sacrifice one for the other, that is bad writing.

BSG manages it, then again that show has real writers.

I think that Enterprise was a step up in quality

If you call all the fan fics Coto copied 'quailty', don't even ask why the show sucked and was cancelled.

Edited by RomulanSnitchTheSecond

I'd have to agree that ENT got back to formula, specifically the TOS formula, not TNG formula. But like TOS, the stories were fairly simple and cool, although the focus was the drama between characters. I think that is why i loved ENT so much. I was drawn to the characters and how they interacted with each other, before, during, and after each problem. It was simple plots devices for each episode, sometimes plot devices used from other series. I enjoyed these repeat plot devices, because i like to see a different crew handle them in different ways and see how they interact. I think your right that it was a step up in quality, but not for TNG fans. It was only a step up for TOS fans. These series were two very different shows IMHO.

Well since I really didn't watch maybe one or two episodes can't tell ya about that lol ok I don't have much to say about this now do I LOL oh well.

Brian ok trying to get his rank higher LOL