Stephen of Borg

Do You Believe In Ghosts?

Do You?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do You?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

hey dude, chill. c'mon, i can be sensitive towards these things. i RESPECT the fact people have seen things. i BELIEVE that people see things, but i don't think that they saw ghosts.

see, think about it this way. there can be no afterlife, because there was no beforelife. if there is no afterlife, there can be no ghosts. there can be elaborate pranks and tricks of the mind, but no ghosts.

believe me, i've been to the weirdest places, such as Pearl Habor, every battlefield in America (not really, but a ton of them, my dad is a civil war buff, and i live right near Lexington), and a ton of other places. yea, there's a VIBE, but no ghosts. not at night.

also, the beforelife is that you weren't a ghost before you were born, then how can you be a ghosts after you die?

that's why you shouldn't be afraid of death. if you don't miss what happened before you were born, you certainly won't miss what happens after you die!

not that living is bad

and i do luv ghost stories.

325570[/snapback]

:laugh:

Chill?

All I did was give a possible explanation.

Nothing to beat you up.

Also, why I don't think this is directed at me.

I'm not afraid of death. Just a step back home to a place we all know very well.

At least that is what I believe.

the evidence is we survive. I have known this myself since I was a child and also because I had an NDE note *near* not quite was around 15 mins from death.

I saw a lot of things and I came out feeling that death as an ending, doesn't exist.

the evidence is we survive. I have known this myself since I was a child and also because I had an NDE note *near* not quite was around 15 mins from death.

I saw a lot of things and I came out feeling that death as an ending, doesn't exist.

325625[/snapback]

okey dokey, i'm gonna calm down, seeing as i just had a rootbeer float.

technically, there is no evidence.

and when you almost died (i feel bad that that happened to you), endorphins fly through your brain, causing you to...well, imagine things. im not saying that you didn't SEE it, im saying that what you saw might not have been real.

Madame Butterfly, it was only firected at you, because your was directed at me :laugh:

Well then Chi, I'll answer you.

I'm not afraid of death.

I will happily go forward, back to where we all come from, in delight in being with those who have gone before me in this life time.

I personally think you can make yourself more open to these types of things.

Did you ever have an imaginary friend? Was it really imaginary, or is that what you've convinced yourself of?

There are lots of things I could say for you to try, but I don't think this thread is the best place.

I'm ok with you not believing Chi. It's your life, you live it girl. :laugh:

Edited by Madame Butterfly

I believe that ghosts only exist in our own mind and are manifestations of things that are troubling us or 'haunting' us.

I believe that ghosts only exist in our own mind and are manifestations of things that are troubling us or 'haunting' us.

326089[/snapback]

i like that answer.

326089[/snapback]

i like that answer.

326173[/snapback]

Yes, so then those who were children and heard boots walking across the upstairs when no one was up there.

Hmmmmmmmm, let's see what is that child trying to tell everyone?

:dude:

326089[/snapback]

i like that answer.

326173[/snapback]

Yes, so then those who were children and heard boots walking across the upstairs when no one was up there.

Hmmmmmmmm, let's see what is that child trying to tell everyone?

:dude:

326185[/snapback]

um....that makes NO sense.

anyways, i respect your opinion. no need to roll your eyes at me.

also, a child's imagination is more wild than anyone else's.

Actually, I've found that children are typically spot on, it's the adults who have difficulty in letting the child understand more than they do.

And I'm not rolling my eyes at you Chi.

It's the theory.

I think it has holes.

But to each their own. :dude:

I used to believe in ghosts but no longer, their existence contradicts the Bible which says to be absent from the body is to be present with the LORD.

To be present with the LORD is to NOT be here so, despite things I've seen and heard I can no longer attribute them being ghosts but rather now accept the Bibles explanation of them as being lying or seducing spirits. That is, devils or demons which pretend to be "ghosts" because that leads to making the Bible sound like a lie, one of their main goals.

maybe the Hauntings are ghosts in pergortaroy (SP)

the bible contradicts itself many times about ghosts and spirits, I forget where I read it, might of been on CNN.com a little while back about that

I voted no, because I'm still not convinced that they exist. If I ever see one, I'll change my opinion, though.

Do the people who say they've seen ghosts actually see them, are they just seeing an unusual natural phenomena (sp?), or are they just imagining ghosts because they believe in them? Who knows? I certainly don't.

At my job, they say there's a little girl who haunts the store. Several employees claim they've seen or heard her. I'll believe it when I see it or hear it, and after I've investigated other possibilities.

Interesting question, but I don't think we're really in any position to tell, really (even though I voted yes), because we don't have any way of proving yes or no. I find it disturbing, though, when I hear scientists say that such things are impossible, after all, not knowing if something is possible is NOT the same as it being impossible. So it makes me wonder is the word impossible used to describe something that is not possible, or used by people when something is beyond their understnding or reasoning? :blink:

I have to wonder if we all mean the same thing when we say "ghost" - do you mean we have a separable consciousness that leaves our physical body when we die - this could be called the soul, the spirit, etc. it's a very common plot device in science fiction - ie the "person" inhabits someone else's body but I don't think it is actually consistent with science.

Or when you think of ghost do you specifically think of some sort of spirit that haunts a specific location? This raises all sorts of questions like why some spirits would remain here on Earth and some apparently don't - and where do the others go? This is great stuff for movies but it makes absolutely no sense - I mean if our existence was created and planned then there would have to be a reason that some remained as ghosts and some didn't - there would need to be a purpose for ghosts.

On the other hand, if our existence started with that proverbial spark in the amino acids - then even more should our experience be the same as we all share the same dna. And if we had a "separable consciousness" then it would need to have a genetic origin. (which would make "ghosts" an impossibility under this theory because how can something be genetic and exist apart from the body).