How do you feel about thunder and lightning storms  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about thunder and lightning storms

• Love them, like to sit and watch.
    • Prefer them at night, like to listen while I'm going to sleep
    • Amibivalent, ignore them
    • Terrified, hide under the covers.
    • What's a thunderstorm?

We have been having some terrific thunderstorms lately. Our a/c got zapped at work this week. The ride home one evening was rather scary...lighting was striking pretty close. I love to sit and look at storms though (from inside). I do have a healthy fear of lightning. It gets frustrating after a while because you need to turn off all your electronics. Still I like storms.

I love storms, as Amy can attest I love Summer and Fall here because of Hurricane season. We just don't get enough of them here in Hampton Roads.

I think thunderstorms are cool and like to watch them - as long as the power doesn't go out - then I can't get on here! :o

I said Amibivalent, ignore them. I used to watch them when I was a kid, but now I just close the windows and wait for them to end.

I prefer them at night, but not because I am sleeping then. I like to watch them at night as I am up all night. I hate having them while I am trying to sleep.

I love storms!!! They were great to watch when I lived on the Outer Banks of North Carolina,and I love a good hurricane! We use to buy cases of beer before a hurricane arrived and sit around drinking waiting for it to hit,when it did we would go outside and watch natures fury up close.

Now that I'm Florida I look forward to the next hurricane to hit and its suppose to be an active storm season this year1 *Crosses fingers!*

I love them!! Can't wait for monsoon season to start this year! The lightning storms here are amazing. Great for pictures. Bigsmile.gif

Love them, like to sit and watch! I like trying to predict where the flashes will be and when it gets real close, you can feel the charge in the air, I guess they could be classified as my extreme sport, when a good storm is right overhead it’s thrilling to think I could be charred at any minute, crazy huh.

my mom use to take my sister and I outside to watch thuner and lightning storms....I think that they are very beutifull as long as they are not to close.

Love them, like to sit and watch! I like trying to predict where the flashes will be and when it gets real close, you can feel the charge in the air, I guess they could be classified as my extreme sport, when a good storm is right overhead it’s thrilling to think I could be charred at any minute, crazy huh.

No it's not crazy. I love to feel that charge in the air. I once got shocked through my tripod though when the lightning got too close (I was photographing the lightning). That was a little too close for comfort. I got inside pretty quick after that. bolt.gif

No it's not crazy. I love to feel that charge in the air. I once got shocked through my tripod though when the lightning got too close (I was photographing the lightning). That was a little too close for comfort. I got inside pretty quick after that. bolt.gif

Phew what a relief, glad to see another lightning thrill seeker. :o

I love them, they are just such an amazing feat of nature. I used to be terrified of them (due to a bad experience when I was seven) but now I am just awed by their beauty.

We've had massive ones for about three days straight now. Just last night my family was standing on the roof of the Kennedy Center when a strom started to roll in on the horizon. we could see the lightning and hear the thunder very clearly, but we were quite dry. It was amazing :o

Please Note:

If there are any young people reading this please do not think it is okay to stand outside during a storm. I love storms but always watch from safety. Lightning is serious stuff - people die every year here in Florida from lightning strikes

LIked this picture

lightn04.JPG

PS - RikerChick - your picture was gorgeous

Great pic Rikerchick!!! :laugh:

And kids,like Unicorn says don't stand outside during a lighting storm,watch from the comfort of your porch.

Love watching the cumulonimbus clouds building, the brilliant white head, dark grey bottom. Love to watch the lightning when the storm is far off but if it comes close I'm inside. I have a healthy fear of lightning strike.

Saw a documentary on lightning on the weekend..had a man who was fishing, the lightning hit his carbon fibre fishing rod, and traveled down through to his feet. The lightning melted every bit of resin away and so that the fishing rod was a mass of loose carbon fibres, the zip in his jeans had melted and impaled his stomach, 80 % of his legs were covered in 2nd degree burns and each boot had eight perfect holes. His body swelled to three times its original size...he described the feeling as though someone had his legs in a vice and as though his arms were on fire after he finally felt them again.

Nice to watch, hope I never get struck! :lol: Also glad we don't get tornadoes with our thunder storms.

I love storms. They're so cool to watch. I voted that "I love them, like to sit and watch". Altough if the storm was really dangerous, and big, I guess I "prefer them at night, like to listen while I'm going to sleep". Its really relaxing in a way to listen to the storm, and if rain is part of the storm, the rain beating on the roof.

nice picture btw rikerchick

Love watching the cumulonimbus clouds building, the brilliant white head, dark grey bottom. Love to watch the lightning when the storm is far off  but if it comes close I'm inside.  I have a healthy fear of lightning strike. 

Saw a documentary on lightning on the weekend..had a man who was fishing, the lightning hit his carbon fibre fishing rod, and traveled down through to his feet.  The lightning melted every bit of resin away and so that the fishing rod was a mass of loose carbon fibres, the zip in his jeans had melted and impaled his stomach, 80 % of his legs were covered in 2nd degree burns and each boot had eight perfect holes.  His body swelled to three times its original size...he described the feeling as though someone had his legs in a vice and as though his arms were on fire after he finally felt them again.

Nice to watch, hope I never get struck!  :wow: Also glad we don't get tornadoes with our thunder storms.

I've known 2 people who have been struck by lightning. You'd think that would make me more careful, but noooooo, I still go out there every year to get the "perfect picture". 1042300447.gif If there's ever a big storm in Phoenix and you don't hear from me for a few days you know what happened. speechless-smiley-039.gif

:) B) :lol:

I thought this was so sad - to lose both parents. I guess some people just don't take lightning seriously.

I saw the most amazing lightning driving home on Friday evening - I drove through some farmland and I saw a lot of the ground to cloud strikes - I was a little scared but it was beautiful. I found myself thinking RikerChick would like this.

CNN

Love storms they are awesome, as I stated in my thread in SciTech forum(AtlanticHurricane Season).. I love when we get Tropical Storms or get passed by by hurricanes. I go walking in the wind and rain(during Floyd I was outside swimming in the pool and sitting on my trampoline, even though there was an evacuation of our area-we're in the Category 4 evac zone, but our radio died so we didn't hear). Or my family and I go to the beach(before the evac's begin) and stand at the sea wall. WE hold onto the fences as the waves crash over us and the sea barrier, the foam flies all around and the wind howls. It is awesome! Often we get to sea the Weather Channel crew reporting down the beach from us(no, I hate the idea of trying to run up and get behind them and wave to the camera...so i don't do that, just watch them do their job from afar-wanted to be a meteorologist for awhile)

I also agree to the warning, about staying out of lightning related storms. Let me leave the statement by just saying.... I was 12, lightning indirectly hit a street sign I was walking by, and OUCH!

Love watching the cumulonimbus clouds building, the brilliant white head, dark grey bottom. Love to watch the lightning when the storm is far off  but if it comes close I'm inside.  I have a healthy fear of lightning strike. 

Saw a documentary on lightning on the weekend..had a man who was fishing, the lightning hit his carbon fibre fishing rod, and traveled down through to his feet.  The lightning melted every bit of resin away and so that the fishing rod was a mass of loose carbon fibres, the zip in his jeans had melted and impaled his stomach, 80 % of his legs were covered in 2nd degree burns and each boot had eight perfect holes.  His body swelled to three times its original size...he described the feeling as though someone had his legs in a vice and as though his arms were on fire after he finally felt them again.

Nice to watch, hope I never get struck!  :D Also glad we don't get tornadoes with our thunder storms.

I've known 2 people who have been struck by lightning. You'd think that would make me more careful, but noooooo, I still go out there every year to get the "perfect picture". 1042300447.gif If there's ever a big storm in Phoenix and you don't hear from me for a few days you know what happened. speechless-smiley-039.gif

:waaaa: :waaaa: :D

speechless-smiley-039.gifDidn't get hit with a full charge, just a small zap. Hair went straight up. I love to sit outside and watch them, still do. I have learned the warning sign, as to when it will hit and what to do in case. B)