Sign in to follow this  
Madame Butterfly

Do You See The Virgin Mary In These Photos

Do you see the Virgin Mary in these photos?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you see the Virgin Mary in these photos?

• Yes, I see it
    • Yes, I see something but but I'm not sure if it looks like Mary
    • No, I don't see it

xl.jpg

xll.jpg

xlll.jpg

Faithful Flock To Virgin Mary Image Under Kennedy

VIDEO: Derrick Blakely reports.

PHOTOS: Faithful See Virgin Mary

Apr 10, 2005 7:58 am US/Central

CHICAGO (CBS 2) Some are calling it a miracle, others remain skeptical. An image of the Blessed Virgin Mary has appeared -- of all places -- on the Kennedy expressway. It's along the wall of the underpass at Fullerton. As CBS 2's Susan Carlson reports, hundreds of people have been inspired to take a closer look.

At first glance it's just a stain on a wall from water and road salt, but some say it's much more.

“It's definitely a message to the world that the Blessed Mother is real,” believer Joanne Vrablik says.

Many are saying it is the Blessed Virgin Mary, her head slightly bowed, her hands together in prayer, holding what appears to be a rosary. The image becomes clearer when viewed through the lens of a digital camera.

“I'm a breast cancer survivor and she really healed me,” Vrablik says. “And I believe so strongly in this. She's reaching out to people.”

A constant stream of believers has flocked to the underpass to check out the image. Some are moved to kiss it. Others stand in prayerful reverence. It's turned into a shrine of sorts, with candles and flowers.

Patricia Villadonga drove all the way from northwest suburban Mount Prospect to see it. “I truly believe that it is a vision of some sort. I think because of everything happening in the world today, maybe it's a sign that everybody should start praying,” she says.

Regardless if you think it's a miracle or just a stain, people are leaving the site filled with faith.

Donald Fogell says, “In the beginning, you know, I'm looking at it, then I started getting more chills within myself.”

“It's just a good feeling. I don't know how to explain it, but it's something beautiful. It really is,” Olga Davila says.

The sight has become such an inspiration, State and Chicago police are on hand to ensure traffic control. Earlier in the day, crews were ready to paint over the image, but Mary's become so popular they had to back down.

IDOT spokesman Matt Vanover says his agency has no intention of scrubbing the image off. He says I-DOT is going to treat it as if it's a roadside memorial, as long as it doesn't pose a traffic or safety issue.

“People who have questions, just believe and that's what this is all about,” Joanne Vrablik says.

In recent months, images of the Virgin Mary have supposedly popped up on everything from driftwood to a grilled cheese sandwich. Unlike those cases, no one is trying to sell this image on eBay. By the way, the Catholic Church remains very cautious when it comes to approving any religious apparitions.

Edited by Madame Butterfly

I don't see the Virgin Mary in those pics however I did see her in my bowl of Wheaties this morning.....................

Yes, I do see the Virgin Mary. I saw her from the very moment I look at the pictures.

Yes, I see something but I'm not sure if it looks like Mary.

Close up (first pic) its head looks like it bears the face of a bearded man, (facing his right and tilted slightly down) my first thought was of Picasso. In the second pic just right of and touching him appears another face, (a child perhaps) looking to its left.

From afar (cellphone) it becomes more Marysque, especially the traditional "hands in prayer" & robe but because of its close up flaws I don't see the Church canonizing it as authentic.

None of the above - I see a pattern of discoloration on the wall. It certainly does look like an image of how the Virgin Mary may appear. But then it could like like anyone wearing a long dress and a head covering.

The question is - how would I have interpreted the image if I had not been predisposed to see the Virgin Mary?

It is a matter of faith that who was brought up a Catholic would see it right way. It is an image that Catholics had seen since we where very small children.

None of the above - I see a pattern of discoloration on the wall.  It certainly does look like an image of how the Virgin Mary may appear.  But then it could like like anyone wearing a long dress and a head covering.

The question is - how would I have interpreted the image if I had not been predisposed to see the Virgin Mary?

320211[/snapback]

I have to go with what UH has said on this, since that is pretty much what I was going to say(the pattern of discoloration on the wall).

This is the closest to pic I have found that looks like the image.

Click For Spoiler
mary.jpg

I see a women in a cloak yes.

As for it being the virgin Mary thats open for each persons

interpatation.

It is just a matter of faith. I am a Catholic and I see it. I am not going to tell anyone that they are wrong in what they see in the image. Like Odo said its up to each person interpatation.

Yes, I see her. I was brought up a Christian, so naturally Mary is something I would think of while looking at these pictures.

I once went to see one of these things in person, somewhere in Florida. I do not really remember much, as I was rather little, but my parents thought it was awesome.

I see a human-like figure, but I cannot say I see Mary.

But I believe the people who say they do, and I believe Catholics in particular.

I once attended a church which was a protestant church, but the facility had been purchased from Catholics. It was full of statues, figurines, and artwork...images everywhere. While all Catholic churches may not look that way, I could see that

people would recognize such images if, as Odie pointed out, they had been raised with these images.

I see Something

But I also had a Potato Chip that looked like Bill Clinton

Basically stuff like this is a matter of Perception (SP?) I mean looking at clouds is a godd example of that

But I also had a Potato Chip that looked like Bill Clinton

320519[/snapback]

I think at one time I saw a french fry from McDonald's that might have look like Bill Clinton.

I saw her in the pic (I am not Catholic, but Anglican) But would I have seen her if I hadn't been told it was her? Makes you wonder about the power of persuasion. That sounds like a final year project to me.

A good friend of mine has a black and white photo just out side the door to her classroom.

It is of something we all know, yet it isn't clear as to what it is.

In her 20 plus years of teaching, only 5 people have correctly seen what the photo is.

Most are under the age of 6.

This has been interesting observing peoples answers.

I for one attended Catholic schools, to me this looks very much how the church portrays the Madonna.

I'm going to try and scan in my friends photo and see how many of you see it correctly.

I don't see the Virgin Mary in those pics however I did see her in my bowl of Wheaties this morning.....................

320189[/snapback]

You should sell it on the internet. This one person paid thousands for a moldie sandwhich cause it saposidly looked like the virgine mary.