Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Who is your "Most Admired Man?"

I have to go with Papa Smurf. He's so wise. papasmurf.gif Oh wait, he may be dead by now. 1042284708.gif

Ok, I'll go with my husband. smilewink.gif

I didn't necessarily mean this should be a public figure. A lot of people do pick their fathers. As I mentioned in the post for admired women...I admire people who stand by their commitments and live by their principles.

Public figures that I do admire include Colin Powell - his life is an example of commitment to excellence and that's a good role model for anyone; John McCain; and Ralph Nader.

But the man living today that I admire most is Gordon B. Hinckley.

Note to CJLP; you're arguing the wrong point - the question was for a man..ie a mortal human.

I admire Howard Stern,the man started out in a rinky dink radio station spinning records and he worked his way up to become the most popular man on the radio today.He's funny,has a great wit,and is generous.

My grandfather. Lived through 2 world wars, defected to Canada in WW2..created a life for himself his wife and his children, who then created me. He had alot of obsatcles to overcome and managed nicely..I can only hope that I can also be that resoursful.(sp)

this is a hard one, im gonna have to think on this one for a while. i have a few uncles that i looked upto as i grew up, and i always thought a lot of my grandfather, but he died when i was young, sadly i cant remember much of him now, other than he was a great man. im biased. so ill have to get back to you on that one. but right off i can tell you there is no public figure that i admire most. most public figures have a lot to hide, and many alterior motives. IMO

I have to go with Papa Smurf. He's so wise. papasmurf.gif Oh wait, he may be dead by now. 1042284708.gif

Ok, I'll go with my husband. smilewink.gif

I would have thought it would be Smurfette RC?

As for me I would have to say my late brother. He had to deal with alot in his life but he always made time for his little brother. He always listened to me even when what I was upset about was trivial. He also gave me a love of Trek. I can only hope that I can be half the man that he was...

I would have thought it would be Smurfette RC?

Smurfette was a man?!! jawdrop.gif

Oops. Forgot this was the man not person you most admire.

My mothers godfather. He went through WW2 in one of those death marches, and he's had brain cancer. He's getting pretty old now, but, I still admire him a lot.

Someone other then any family member that is still living....

I would say Ronald Reagan.

(Now everyone knows my politics lol)

That really does expose you politics too much. In the election for his second term, Reagan won with a landslide, so I guess a lot of voters were pleased with his Presidency.

Stephen Wiliam Hawing the man has ALS is in a wheelchair he can't talk he can move one hand just and he still managed to prove that black holes exsist and show how to find them.

That in my opinion is true triumph over adversity. And he is the only person ever to play himself in an episode of Trek.

The man is just awesome. :grin: B)

Stephen Wiliam Hawing the man has ALS is in a wheelchair he can't talk he can move one hand just and he still managed to prove that black holes exsist and show how to find them.

That in my opinion is true triumph over adversity.  And he is the only person ever to play himself in an episode of Trek.

The man is just awesome. :grin:  B)

Ah ! Now I can relate to Stephen Hawking. Brilliant mind !

That in my opinion is true triumph over adversity.  And he is the only person ever to play himself in an episode of Trek.

The man is just awesome. B)  :grin:

Stephen Hawking is amazing!! I watched the first part of the PBS special on his theory of the universe B)

OW, I like the Stephen Hawking answer. But i think i have to go with my husband. Any man who can put up with me and still be happy about it has my admiration. :grin:

Data, you did not answer the question for yourself! B)

WELL i finally came up with an answer, my cousin mike. his brother, him and me used to play together a lot as little children. but by the time he was around 8 to 10 (i think) he started showing the symptoms of MD. everyone thought he would be dead by the time he was in his early to late teens. but he never, ever, let it get him down, even as he got so bad that he couldnt feed himself, and had to have a resperator, and was very difficult for him to talk, he LOVED LIFE, LOVED LEARNING, he even went on to PENN STATE. he proved everyone wrong, and lived to i think 26, its been a while. this is a man who lived most of his live fighting just to breathe, BUT he never wanted it to end, he LOVED LIFE, and thought everyone else should too. to me a man with sssooooo much adversity and challenge in his life, without any hope of overcoming it, and getting better, but still never letting it get him down, or wanting it just to end, shows a man of great courage, and faith. i only wish i had half the resolve that he did. i admire that, and him MOST.

WELL i finally came up with an answer, my cousin mike. his brother, him and me used to play together a lot as little children. but by the time he was around 8 to 10 (i think) he started showing the symptoms of MD. everyone thought he would be dead by the time he was in his early to late teens. but he never, ever, let it get him down, even as he got so bad that he couldnt feed himself, and had to have a resperator, and was very difficult for him to talk, he LOVED LIFE, LOVED LEARNING, he even went on to PENN STATE. he proved everyone wrong, and lived to i think 26, its been a while. this is a man who lived most of his live fighting just to breathe, BUT he never wanted it to end, he LOVED LIFE, and thought everyone else should too. to me a man with sssooooo much adversity and challenge in his life, without any hope of overcoming it, and getting better, but still never letting it get him down, or wanting it just to end, shows a man of great courage, and faith. i only wish i had half the resolve that he did. i admire that, and him MOST.

Wow, now that is just outright amazing... :) :)

Stephen Hawking has my vote as well...brilliant mind. And has anyone heard a few of his speeches?(I saw one on a video in Physics, during high school)...he has quite a sense of humor as well!

There are a few I admire but Hawking stands out.

As for deceased... my friend who passed away in 1997(wonderful guy, the best friend one could ask for), my grandfather(baker, WWII Air Force vet). And reaching back into my family's history(mom's side)...my 6th Great Uncle Ulysses S. Grant(mind you that he may not have been the greatest President, but he was one hell of a General...IMO)