Sign in to follow this  
Angela

Opinions Needed

I am writing an essay on Fan fiction and would like to have peoples opinions on fan fiction.

If you write it why, what is it that you get out of writing?

If you read it why? What is it that you get that the television show doesn't provide?

If you hate it why? What is i that you don't like about it?

all in all I want opinions ither write your opinions here (inevitably it will get split into a topic per category, but really I need is clear coherent thoughts. If you don't want to present your opinion in public please feel free to email me at angeljane8@yahoo.com

I used to write alot but have had Writers block for about 2 years which isnt very nice, lol. I do read FF and i like most of it. The reason I read it is beacuse it fills in the gaps between the shows and gives me something to do while i wait for a new Episode or season starts.

The reasons I don't read fan fic (and this is regarding any TV series not just Star Trek)

1. The ones I've seen are generally not well written - by that I mean composition skills, grammar etc.

2. The plots are often weak - many center on relationships rather than an overall storyline.

3. And finally, some do take the characters in directions I have no interest in seeing them go.

I have only started reading it since coming here to this site, because people talked about the stories, and they sounded interesting.

I have enjoyed the stories I have been reading as much as the series episodes.....fans are true to the characters and the various Star Trek themes.

I remember in 'The Visitor" the girl told Jake Sisko that she wished she hadn't read his stories so that she could read them again and have that experience all over again.

That is how I feel about the stories I have read so far that were written by fans.

I tried a FF story once.

I think the draw for me was to fill in the gaps in stories about subcharacters that I found interesting.

But the reason why I stopped writing it is the constrants in staying true to the character made by another author.

If you read it why? What is it that you get that the television show doesn't provide?

Well the fan fics that I read had nothing to do with TV shows, they were based on books.

I like the original ideas in some of them. Note the word some. Most fan fics are Mary Sues.

Fantasies of the author with the characters in the books. Many of which are childishly immature or fulfilling sexual fantasies.

Therefore to find one that is really noteworthy and original is a treat.

The reason why I don't follow FF's anymore is who can do it better than the story I already love?

No one.

Mind you, as I said, there are some great talents out there that start out with fan fiction to wet their chops, and those are the ones worth finding.

write your story

do not write to please others stay true your own concepts and visions

I am a member of fanfiction.net and I have to say that I love it and am obsessed with it. I both write and read- mainly Harry Potter fanfiction. The reason that I write is because I love writing. I will think about a book or an episode of some TV shows and new ideas for storylines will flood into my mind at an astronomical rate. FFN is a place I can share my thoughts with others and see if they like them and such. I want to know what people think of my writing now, as I intend to be an author someday, and I also just love writing. The reason I read is partly to satisfy myself while waiting for the next book/episode or because the series has ended and I want more. Some of the fics are crap, and some are wonderful. You just have to find the right ones.

1. Yes > I write crossover fanfic. It gives me satisfaction to torture fan girls that gush over a character thats not real(tee hee).Also i add dimentions to characters that might not occur. Currently i have one in the works that is on Trey and Matt and Nip/Tuck and another on the Phantom of the Opera.

2. Because it gives plots that might never occur,What if's. Hell i have read better Trek from the fans than from the writers themselves

Typos: So what? Its fanfiction.You want real great writing,go to the book store.

Even Shatner writes fanfic and what is good for Shatner is good for me

Some of the stuff is extreme.yes i do agree (some of the Harry potter stuff i have read are nightmare enducing) I suggest Fanfiction.net. They don't allow graphic ones and they edit the stories sometimes

I had attempted to write a TNG one, but did not get too far with it.. this is the story that my screenname comes from.

I have read a few and that was just out of interest on people's takes on the series. Same as why I had gotten "Strange New Worlds I, II and III", all to see what fan's takes on if they were to write and episode of Trek would be. I also have proofread a fanfic for a member here at STF

And as for disliking fanfics...

Some of the stuff is extreme.yes i do agree

The extreme ones I really do not like.. I believe some of the extreme ones are called "slash" and those I most assuredly do NOT like. I also do not like ones where they completely change established characters, to the point you go "Hey, this person they are calling Picard does not seem like him at all.."

I make my own twist of whatever I write about. Whatever I would like to see in a TV show/movie and what will never be shown, I can always write a fanfiction to satisfy my imagination.

Fanfictions are more diverse than television shows. Television is upfront where fanfictions are pieces of the writer's unbound mind. I can imagine more while reading then having the story shown to me.

Sometimes it's the writing that some people use, like if they make alot of mistakes then it wouldn't feel good to me. Either that or the story is too boring or full of love and happiness. I hate those subjects...