Sign in to follow this  
MrPsychic

Uniforms

Do you like short or long sleeves better?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like short or long sleeves better?

• Short
    • Long
    • About Same

I was wondering why most of the uniforms are long sleeved. Dr. McCoy's tunic was the only one I've seen that's short sleeved. Frankly, I dislike long sleeves, so I would always want a short sleeved uniform. Could it have something to do with it being cold on starships or perhaps it's more classy.

I've always thought the reason was that it looks more formal. I also feel it looks more like a uniform and not a short sleeved T-Shirt..But I'm just speculating..

I agree with ST about it looking more formal. How many uniforms do you see now that have short sleeves in the military, law enforcement, etc.

I can only remember seeing uniform sleeves rolled up once and that was in Generations when Riker was wearing the DS9 style uniform but the reason for that was not comfort or fashion. LOL

From IMDB trivia:

Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner were the only cast members to have custom "Deep Space Nine" uniforms made for use in the film. Jonathan Frakes had to borrow Avery Brooks's uniform and LeVar Burton had to borrow Colm Meaney's uniform from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, neither of which fit the actors very well (Frakes had to roll up the sleeves and Burton's is obviously too big for him.) 

I can see the whole Frakes-Brooks thing, they're both pretty big guys but I can't believe that they didn't have some extra's uniform that would have fit LeVar Burton better than Colm Meaney's.

Burton is fairly short and not very long in the waistband and while Meaney isn't all that tall I believe, he's definitely one of the heavier set Star Trek actors (not that its a big deal, I'm just saying). It would have been better to simply leave Burton in his regular uniform.

Oh, and O'Brien's sleeves were typically pushed up.

And I do prefer long sleeves, just more formal.

Well, I'm almost always hot, so the long sleeves would get annoying after awhile. I would ask my CO if I could cut the sleeves and make it a short sleeve shirt :dude:

I don't think it has to with it being formal. It has lot to do with safety. When the ship is in a fight with another ship and there is a fire there will be less skin exposed to the flame. When I am on a ship I am required to wear long sleeves shirts. In fact if I wear a short sleeve short when the ship is underway I can get into trouble. I can push the long sleeve shirt up to my elbow, but the only time I can go that is when I am working. When the ship is at shore I can wear my short sleeve short. Right now I am wearing my long sleeve shirt, because it’s COLD outdoors right now.

Formality is the main issue I think. Plus it looks more professional.

In my case, I do not think I would have too much of a problem wearing the long sleeves. But then, I wear long sleeves pretty often.

As for a uniform I would prefer long sleeve shirts. In many settings the long sleeve uniform is safer than a short sleeve as it offers some limited protection for the arm from the elements as well as from some physical issues.

I was wondering why most of the uniforms are long sleeved.  Dr. McCoy's tunic was the only one I've seen that's short sleeved.  Frankly, I dislike long sleeves, so I would always want a short sleeved uniform.  Could it have something to do with it being cold on starships or perhaps it's more classy.

303408[/snapback]

I'd forgotten about these short sleeved uniforms that were on TNG. Perhaps you could were this style uniform instead.

farpoint097.jpgfarpoint143.jpg

Isn't that Troi's go-go dancer uniform that she wore in the first season?

304081[/snapback]

Those two pictures were from Encounter at Farpoint. I think we saw some extras wearing those in season 2 as well but not often.

Well the funny thing would be to say they don't have a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy in Star Fleet, but I really think that might have to do with he might of been in a rush and forgot his pants.

I'd forgotten about these short sleeved uniforms that were on TNG. Perhaps you could wear this style uniform instead.

I wouldn't wear it if it meant I would have to wear that skirt with it... :waaaa: But I like that sleeve length, maybe a little longer, like elbow length

Well the funny thing would be to say they don't have a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy in Star Fleet, but I really think that might have to do with he might of been in a rush and forgot his pants.

304090[/snapback]

No, that's the uniform. They had something in Star Trek: The Magazine about uniforms and it said that it was a unisex uniform, men wore short boots and women wore longer boots, that's basically the only difference.

Those are plain awful no matter who wears them. They are perhaps the ugliest uniforms in Star Trek history. I'm just glad there are no TMP versions. (I think the TMP uniforms are the ugliest overall set of uniforms).

I very much doubt that the starships were cold, the temperature can be changed very easily and as Worf said before Star Fleet uniforms were designed for comfort.

Those are plain awful no matter who wears them. They are perhaps the ugliest uniforms in Star Trek history. I'm just glad there are no TMP versions. (I think the TMP uniforms are the ugliest overall set of uniforms).

304107[/snapback]

Aww, you didn't like the pj's? :waaaa: I agree with you, they were pretty awful. I'm glad they switched them in STII to those spiffy red uniforms, still one of the best uniforms I've ever seen.

I agree with ST about it looking more formal. How many uniforms do you see now that have short sleeves in the military, law enforcement, etc.

I dunnow about Canada, but I see alot of Police officers with Short sleeve shirts. and, yes, the Military does have Short sleeve shirts (I have Khaki uniforms with both short and long sleeve shirts, just depends on what the uniform of the day is)

I don't think it has to with it being formal.  It has lot to do with safety.  When the ship is in a fight with another ship and there is a fire there will be less skin exposed to the flame.  When I am on a ship I am required to wear long sleeves shirts.  In fact if I wear a short sleeve short when the ship is underway I can get into trouble.  I can push the long sleeve shirt up to my elbow, but the only time I can go that is when I am working.  When the ship is at shore I can wear my short sleeve short.  Right now I am wearing my long sleeve shirt, because it’s COLD outdoors right now.

303520[/snapback]

You are absolutely right, Odie. It always annoys me, though, since I prefere short sleeves. Also, I would like to point out that the navy also has blue coveralls, similar to a pilot's flight suit. that could potentially be where the idea for the one-peice uniforms in Star Trek originated from.

Click For Spoiler
farpoint097.jpg

304078[/snapback]

....I remember that on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno some gal took a visit to a Trek convention to ask Trekkies, Trekkers, and other fantastic fiction fans things concerning pick-up lines, &c.

I remember they showed a Trekkie wearing that uniform....And then he bent over.. :waaaa:

post-812-1095566621.gif

I remember they showed a Trekkie wearing that uniform....And then he bent over..

YUK!!!!!

Some fans REALLY seem love the show to extreme levels, but sometimes, the more obsessed "Trekkies" can really be an embarrassment and they don't do the franchise or the more reasonable fans any favours with their actions sometimes.

The idea of a guy wearing that particular uniform is laughable enough, but to bend over in it is plain ridiculous.

:waaaa:

Why was that bloke wearing a dress?  :P

304088[/snapback]

It kind of looks to me, like the Starfleet version of a kilt maybe? :waaaa:

I remember they showed a Trekkie wearing that uniform....And then he bent over..

YUK!!!!!

Some fans REALLY seem love the show to extreme levels, but sometimes, the more obsessed "Trekkies" can really be an embarrassment and they don't do the franchise or the more reasonable fans any favours with their actions sometimes.

The idea of a guy wearing that particular uniform is laughable enough, but to bend over in it is plain ridiculous.

:P

304165[/snapback]

Uh-huh......

I dunnow about Canada, but I see alot of Police officers with Short sleeve shirts. and, yes, the Military does have Short sleeve shirts (I have Khaki uniforms with both short and long sleeve shirts, just depends on what the uniform of the day is)

I don't think it has to with it being formal.  It has lot to do with safety.  When the ship is in a fight with another ship and there is a fire there will be less skin exposed to the flame.  When I am on a ship I am required to wear long sleeves shirts.  In fact if I wear a short sleeve short when the ship is underway I can get into trouble.  I can push the long sleeve shirt up to my elbow, but the only time I can go that is when I am working.  When the ship is at shore I can wear my short sleeve short.  Right now I am wearing my long sleeve shirt, because it’s COLD outdoors right now.

303520[/snapback]

You are absolutely right, Odie. It always annoys me, though, since I prefere short sleeves. Also, I would like to point out that the navy also has blue coveralls, similar to a pilot's flight suit. that could potentially be where the idea for the one-peice uniforms in Star Trek originated from.

304155[/snapback]

303520[/snapback]

304155[/snapback]

I don't like it either, but I am not going to argue about the subject. I am glad I can push the sleeves up. I have many uniform sleeves get stained from the erasing the chart. :waaaa:

Well, skirt, skort, kilt, dress...etc.

It still looked bad.

304182[/snapback]

That is why the uniform didn't last long in the first season.