Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Carpal Tunnel

For those interested in the continuing saga of my carpal tunnel adventures, I will be having surgery on June 25th on my wrist and also my elbow. I have both Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (Wrist) and Cubital Tunnel Syndrome (Elbow). It's also possible there is nerve damage in my neck, I have to see a doctor about that next week though. So that's the update for now.

Time for me to run away from the pc screaming! Ouch! Hope all goes well for you Kevin. Will it be local anesthetic or do you get the good stuff? sleepy.gif

Forgive me for not knowing about your health issues. I just wanted you to know that I will keep you in my prayers, and hope all will go well with your surgery. Please take care.......

ok, now i feel dumb - i of course read your 'trip' posting before this one, so please forgive a natural aversion to brightness on my part - hope you're feeling better ... like, when they're done with youn - good luck, and cheers...

joeybear no need to feel dumb, I'm feeling ok and it's ok with me to be off work for another full month lol

I've been dealing with the Carpal Tunnel almost as long as this board has existed, as many members can attest to. That's one reason I've been able to devote so much time to the board.

Thanks TransporterMalfunction, the internet is so great isn't it? It gives us the ability to know people around the world and to get to know things about individuals lives. Think of it, 10 years ago the only way someone from England would have known about someone in Virginia having Carpa Tunnel would be if the person was a family member/personal friend or a famous person. This gives real, everyday people the chance to know other real, everyday people from all over the world. It just amazes me!

Ok, not that I've rambled on now... lol

Kev, I have a question and I've not Pm'd you so that others may learn as well. As you may or may not remember I've said in the past that I wear a wrist brace to bed every night and have spoken to my doctor twice about carpal tunnel. I read both of the descriptions behind tunnel and the elbow one and am curious, When you first experienced carpal tunnel, what did it feel like? I'd apprecaite as much as you can remember as I believe I'm stricken as well.

Btw. best of luck with your surgery and I'm glad you will still be around to watch over the Mods.

Kev, I have a question and I've not Pm'd you so that others may learn as well. As you may or may not remember I've said in the past that I wear a wrist brace to bed every night and have spoken to my doctor twice about carpal tunnel. I read both of the descriptions behind tunnel and the elbow one and am curious, When you first experienced carpal tunnel, what did it feel like? I'd apprecaite as much as you can remember as I believe I'm stricken as well.

Btw. best of luck with your surgery and I'm glad you will still be around to watch over the Mods.

Well, it's hard to say for sure because I had no idea what it was when it started. Best I can remember it was just a slight numbness in my fingers at first. I remember it happening and I also remember figuring that it was just my hand "going to sleep". Then in mid February my wrist started to hurt. If I would shake my hand, as you might if you had hurt it and you wanted to "shak it off" it would hurt a lot. So much so that I thought I mught have broken my hand. I went to get it X-Rayed and they told me it was Carpal Tunnel. So the first real memorable pain I had was in my wrist and was like a deep bruise. Then my hand, specifically my middle 2 fingers would go numb and I would feel pressure in my nail after about 3 hours of typing. That was the Carpal Tunnel portion, the Cubital Tunnel portion causes pain in my elbow and numbness in my little finger. All of these things kind of came all at the same time, but since I had no clue in the beginning I dont' really remember exactly how it all started.

Well, it's hard to say for sure because I had no idea what it was when it started. Best I can remember it was just a slight numbness in my fingers at first. I remember it happening and I also remember figuring that it was just my hand "going to sleep". Then in mid February my wrist started to hurt. If I would shake my hand, as you might if you had hurt it and you wanted to "shak it off" it would hurt a lot. So much so that I thought I mught have broken my hand. I went to get it X-Rayed and they told me it was Carpal Tunnel. So the first real memorable pain I had was in my wrist and was like a deep bruise. Then my hand, specifically my middle 2 fingers would go numb and I would feel pressure in my nail after about 3 hours of typing. That was the Carpal Tunnel portion, the Cubital Tunnel portion causes pain in my elbow and numbness in my little finger. All of these things kind of came all at the same time, but since I had no clue in the beginning I dont' really remember exactly how it all started.

av-1.gifEXCELLENT!!!

Numbness, in the fingers, like it's falling asleep? AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

I have got the early warning sign :bow: Any prevention, beside's staying off the keyboard?

av-1.gifEXCELLENT!!!

Numbness, in the fingers, like it's falling asleep? AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

I have got the early warning sign :bow: Any prevention, beside's staying off the keyboard?

To prevent it, or try to prevent it get a wrist pad for your Keyboard (not that your keyboard has a wrist...) and just try to type at in a good posture.

To prevent it, or try to prevent it get a wrist pad for your Keyboard (not that your keyboard has a wrist...) and just try to type at in a good posture.

Thanks for the tips; I’ll try. :bow:

Thanks for the tips; I’ll try. :bow:

ditto. Thx

I definatly show a few of the early warning signs but for now I'm going to assume it's just my imagination. My grandmother had surgery for Carpal Tunnel Syndrom about 2 weeks ago and it didn't sound like it was any fun. It probably doesn't help that she aslo has really bad arthritiest in her wrists as well.

Anyway best of luck with the surgery VGB and btw I love Riker with the cowboy hat!

i finally had to have surgery (bone graft) to fix my wrist, and they did a great (GREAT) job, so don' worry - as 'cut and paste' as medicine seems (to me) to be, they (docs) actually improved my lot, so i have every confidence your's'll turn out fine...

Thanks for the tips; I’ll try. :rolleyes:

Since I already have a bad wrist (for those who have not already heard, I had dislocated my left wrist and elbow six times by the time I was around a year and a half old)...I have had a wrist pad for my computer, it works really well, then if I have more pain I just wear my wrist brace(it actually is more like a removeable cast).

Those wrist pads are most definately a good idea, and I too reccomend them to people who have hand or wrist problems and/or are showing the early signs of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Anyway best of luck with the surgery VGB and btw I love Riker with the cowboy hat!

LOL that's not quite Riker. Actually I tool Cpt Picard's body and added my head. I just happened to be sitting at the right angle in that pictureto make the picture look like it actually fits.

LOL that's not quite Riker. Actually I tool Cpt Picard's body and added my head. I just happened to be sitting at the right angle in that pictureto make the picture look like it actually fits.

Damn you look a lot like Riker! At least at a quick glance, now that I look at it I can tell.

Damn you look a lot like Riker! At least at a quick glance, now that I look at it I can tell.

lol I've had a couple people tell me that. That's actually why I had the Riker Pic as my avatar, I don't think I look like him but of all the characters I more closely resemble him than any other.

The more I look at the Avatar the more it really looks like I posed for that pic LOL here's the Pic I cut the head off from for it, I also reversed it so I'm looking in the right direction.

Take care VBG. I went through that 3 years ago. Don't push it.

Update:

My surgery has been postponed for now. It was set for June 25th and now I don't know when it'll be. Likely in mid July.

In the mean time I have to use a full arm splint for my left arm and one for my wrist as well as a splint on my left ankle....

Click for Spoiler:

anyone got a spare body cast??

LOL

Update:

My surgery has been postponed for now. It was set for June 25th and now I don't know when it'll be. Likely in mid July.

In the mean time I have to use a full arm splint for my left arm and one for my wrist as well as a splint on my left ankle....

Click for Spoiler:

anyone got a spare body cast??

LOL

That stinks :)

And sorry, no body casts...only straight jackets here! :lol: :wow:

Sorry to hear about your carpal tunnel VaBeachGuy

We had heaps of problems about 12 months ago, neck, arm, and wrist. We finished up getting a new expensive chair that really makes you sit up straight, a mouse pad, and a foot rest. I still have arm problems because I tend to lean on it when I'm not typing :lol:

My hubby had to go to physio for a frozen shoulder. He is on the computer all day at work

Thanks everyone.

Thought you might be interested in seeing what the brace looks like that I have to use for the Cubital Tunnel Syndrome.

In this picture the man has his arm bent but mine is set to only allow my arm to bend half that much.

Bledsoe-Arm-Brace.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Thought you might be interested in seeing what the brace looks like that I have to use for the Cubital Tunnel Syndrome.

In this picture the man has his arm bent but mine is set to only allow my arm to bend half that much.

Bledsoe-Arm-Brace.jpg

O.O

I hope you don't have to wear it long! It looks horribly uncomfortable...