Sign in to follow this  
WEAREBORG4102

Klingons and their law

Are they getting soft? In the first season of TOS, Kor mentions that the smallest crime will be dealt with death. No trial, no judge, just executioner. However, you see that there is at least a jury in Star Trek VI. I may be wrong since ENT shows a trial.

I don't think got soft. I believe one of their leader had the sense of wisdom that you can't kill off any one for the smallest offense. The empire would lose too many warriors. :dude:

Keep in mind that Kor was the military Governor of Organia during a time of war between the Klingon Empire and the UFP.

His job was to maintain control of a strategically important planet for the Empire.

Its also interesting to note that Worfs description of Klingon policy towards conquered worlds was to execute ALL political leaders, and enslave the population.

("Way of the Warrior", DS9)

Given that he would execute the Organians only if they committed a crime, I would say its Kor who was a big softy.

post-762-1103797056.jpg

Maybe the Klingon Empire had declared martial law at that time for some reason. After all, there had been a number of internal conflicts from time to time.

By the time of ST VI, martial law could have been lifted.

They've certainly become more civilised over the franchise.

TNG showed this quite clearly, and it just made them into more interesting characters.

Deep Space Nine extended that trend.

Maybe the Klingon Empire had declared martial law at that time for some reason. After all, there had been a number of internal conflicts from time to time.

By the time of ST VI, martial law could have been lifted.

291764[/snapback]

You have to remember that in Star Trek VI the Klingons pretty much had their backs against the wall. They needed Federation help to survive as an empire and knew it. Simply assassinating Kirk, even if it was Klingon justice at the time, would not have been in their best interests.

I sincerely believe that the change had to do with the fact that the Federation was not under Klingon control and at the time they did not have the resources to go to war hence the "trial" Although the trial was more of a formality then anything else as I believe that they pretty much know what the outcome is going to be before the trial begins. Also, I do feel that we have seen the Klingons become more "civilized" during the time of the Trek franchise.