Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Best Musical Score in a Film

What Film has the Best Musical Score?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What Film has the Best Musical Score?

• Apollo 13
    • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    • Dances with Wolves
    • The Godfather
    • Goldfinger
    • Lawrence of Arabia
    • The Omen
    • Shindler's List
    • Star Wars
    • Vertigo

I chose Lawrence because I feel the music really represents the setting of the film along with the British military feel.

If you want, you could add a musical score that has evoked the greatest emotional reaction. I find the work of John Barry gets the most reaction from me, with scores such as Born Free and Dances with Wolves to his name.

I voted Star Wars; have you ever watched The Wizard of Oz to Pink Floyd’s Dark side of the Moon? They do go together. Start the Floyd on the third roar of the MGM lion with the repeat album feature engaged.

I voted for "Close Encounters",although the soundtracks to all the films you listed are great.

I've done the Pink Floyd, "Wizard of Oz" thing.Its great!! The music and the film go together real well.

I picked Schindler's List; but there have been several I've liked. The Man from Snowy River was perfect for the movie;The Jazz Singer with Neil Diamond -well it was Neil Diamond; The Killing Fields - very haunting but haven't heard it in a while. Also liked LOTR.

I don't like any of them, so I nulled my vote. Here's a list of the movie soundtracks I have.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Star Trek: Generations

Star Trek: First Contact

Star Trek: Insurrection

Star Trek: Nemesis

The Time Machine

Lost in Space

Stargate

Jurassic Park

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park III

Back to the Future

Back to the Future Part II

Back to the Future Part III

The Back to the Future Trilogy

The Abyss

Signs

Thank you for including The Omen, the intro song (Ave Satani) for the first movie is sooooo great! Gives me the creeps every time!

Thank you for including The Omen, the intro song (Ave Satani) for the first movie is sooooo great! Gives me the creeps every time!

I know just the feeling. I always find horror much more frightening when it is mixed with religion. :)

I picked Schindler's List; but there have been several I've liked. The Man from Snowy River was perfect for the movie;The Jazz Singer with Neil Diamond -well it was Neil Diamond;  The Killing Fields - very haunting but haven't heard it in a while.  Also liked LOTR.

Hi there TheUnicornHunter

Personally I like the original Jazz Singer (the first talkie) with Al Jolson. While Neil Diamond is very good at writing ballads, I think I would have liked his version more had there been a little of the jazz that the title suggests. Perhaps they could call it The Ballad Singer! Just kidding. :)

This is my area! I love movie scores. They are my favorite kind of music, even though there is no genre to which they are particular. I voted for Apollo 13 because it is the one that I know the best. I love Schindler's List, and it is great music in and out of the film, but I just love Apollo 13 so much. However, my favorite score of all time is Jurassic Park. John Williams is my favorite composer, but Goldsmith comes in a close second. Third is everyone else. This was a good selection of different genres with in the film score world, but there are so many scores out there that a poll couldn't give it true justice. This is a good poll, though. Thank you for posting this.

~Conor

I voted for Apollo 13...I just really love that soundtrack! Another that is not on the list that I adore is the Braveheart soundtrack,

Then of course there are the Trek soundtracks: First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis.

I voted for Apollo 13...I just really love that soundtrack! Another that is not on the list that I adore is the Braveheart soundtrack,

I never really liked the music in Braveheart, in a similar way that I detest the score to Titanic. I also hated Braveheart as a film, I don't think Mel likes the English very much!

Then of course there are the Trek soundtracks: First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis.

I didn't want to add the Trek tracks as I thought the vote might get a bit bias, plus the others would never stand a chance! :)

I never really liked the music in Braveheart, in a similar way that I detest the score to Titanic. I also hated Braveheart as a film, I don't think Mel likes the English very much!

I didn't want to add the Trek tracks as I thought the vote might get a bit bias, plus the others would never stand a chance! :andorian:

I can understand that you have your opinion...

I however, really like the movie and soundtrack of Braveheart (then again part of my ancestry is Scottish, and my ancestral clan was a supporter of William Wallace). So I guesss it is just a however you call it type of thing.

Yeah, I know that the Star trek scores would create a biased poll, but I just decided to add those in since they were in my top ten for soundtracks. I think a couple other people also listed Trek in their posts...But,hey...I am still sticking to my vote of Apollo 13.

I didn't want to add the Trek tracks as I thought the vote might get a bit bias, plus the others would never stand a chance! :andorian:

I can understand that you have your opinion...

I however, really like the movie and soundtrack of Braveheart (then again part of my ancestry is Scottish, and my ancestral clan was a supporter of William Wallace). So I guesss it is just a however you call it type of thing.

Yeah, I know that the Star trek scores would create a biased poll, but I just decided to add those in since they were in my top ten for soundtracks. I think a couple other people also listed Trek in their posts...But,hey...I am still sticking to my vote of Apollo 13.

Agreed, I think it all comes down to taste and the fact that you can only list ten things in a poll! :theking:

I think the thing that turns me off from Braveheart as a film is that it does not show both side in an equal light as there had to be baddies (English) and goodies (Scots), of course this is not entirely true as both sides did fairly nasty things and I think it was the fact that this was not recognised in the film which made it a bit simplistic and unrealistic to be an all time classic in the way that Lawrence or Bridge on the River Kwai are. Please don't think I feel this way just because I am English as I feel the same way about Dances with Wolves as in reality the tribe that the film centres around where not quite as angelic as they were presented in the film, this of course a reaction to the presentation of Indians in the early westerns but I do feel that Dances with Wolves did show more (if not all) negative aspects of the indians when compared to Bravehearts representation of the Scots. To put simply, the best films should never over simplify or generalise characters/groups as entirely good or entirely bad as a more realistic representation is usually somewhere in between. That is why I like Ben Hur (staring Mr Heston) but cannot stand Gladiator.

On the other hand, the music of Braveheart is good, you would be a bit hard pushed to say it was not, but it does not touch me in the way that it might do to you with your heritage.

On the Trek front, I think the only scores that could compete with the classics of film history would be ST1 and ST2.

i voted for GOLDFINGER!!!

i adore the score of that film. it just adds so much to the movie.

i agree with braveheart being a really good score too. i have the soundtrack

i like the star wars ep 5 & 6 score the best

and i really like the first contact, insurrection, nemesis, and the wrath of khan scores. nemesis has the best score of them all.

Of these 10 movies, I haven't seen 3, and some of them I don't rember very well, so I had to null my vote because I didn't think it would be a fair vote. Of the ones I have seen though, I did like apollo 13 and star wars, although they were all great. It wasn't on here, but my favorite soundtrack is from "To Kill a mocking bird"

I voted for Shindlers List. I've never actually seen more then about 30 minutes of the movie (it's on my to do list) but a friend of mine used to have the soundtrack and I think it could very easily be John Williams best score ever. The solo violin by Issac Pearlman is extreemly emotional. I think my second favorite John Williams score is probably Empire of the Sun.

I voted Star Wars; have you ever watched The Wizard of Oz to Pink Floyd’s Dark side of the Moon? They do go together. Start the Floyd on the third roar of the MGM lion with the repeat album feature engaged.

Now who the hell would think of that? And how do you precisely know when to start the player?

Of what was on the list I voted for Star Wars, my favorite soundtrack wasn't on the list. 2001: A Space Odyssey

Now who the hell would think of that? And how do you precisely know when to start the player?

I don't know who originally discovered it, probably some stoner. I heard about it from AMC (American Movie Classics) They were celebrating some anniversary (50th?) of TWoO and mentioned it. Then they actually played DSotM on the SAP audio channel along with the film.

They said you start the album at the 3rd roar of the MGM lion. The thing I could never figure out was, since the album is shorter than the film, what happens when the album ends; do you start it over from the beginning, at some other point on the album, or is that all there is?

Dark Side of the Rainbow