Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Nurse Chapel and Yeoman Rand

How significant were the contributions of these two ladies to TOS? Was Nurse Chapel as major a part of the crew as Uhura? They both popped up in the movies...

Yes, they two where just as important as Uhura. You just didn't see them do there job as much on the show. Nurse Chapel's job is extremely important to the ship. Not only did she assist with Dr McCoy she to treated patients of her own. Yeoman Rand was the personal yeoman to Kirk. Just trying to keep Kirk in his place was a full time job in itself. :frusty: She kept his office running and necessary documentations and messages between the ship and Starfleet Command.

Edited by Odie

I have an early novelisation by James Blish, of some of the first season stories and Yeoman Rand dons the cover with Spock and Kirk. And even says, The Adventures of Captain Kirk, Mr Spock and Yeoman Rand on the front as well!

It's a pity that the actress who played her got into such an alcoholic/drugs mess, but i'm glad to see with recent interviews that she has recovered well.

I like Nurse chapel's character, I think her secret crush on Spock is hilarious, especially in "a private little war" and as for Rand, of course Kirk would have a hot babe as an assistant!!

I like them, though I like Nurse Chapel a bit more, I really like her crush on Spock :nono:

I also think both Rand and Chapel were important characters, TOS wouldn't have been the same without them. :nono:

I agree they were both important characters to the series, but I would've liked to have seen Grace Lee whitney have a chance to develop Rand's character more. Her and George Takei were even trying to sell a Sulu/Excelsior series to Paramount awhile back. That would've been something. My favorite Rand episode was "Miri". Great scenes with Kirk.

I too feel they were important characters to the original seires..It wouldn't have been the same without them. They contributed to the success of the show..I wish their roles were bigger of course..Chapel's crush on Spock was kinda funny and I liked their interaction..And I've often wished that Grace was allowed to develop her character more. Seems to me all her personal problems started after she left the show..I suggest you read her book 'My Tour of the Galaxy'..A very good book about Grace's life in and out of Star Trek..

Yeah i agree with everyone here, there are certain characters that without them we would not have any of the great series that we have today. As they say, we all have a beginning an ending.

Without the smaller characters, the main roles wouldnt be as appealing as they are. TOS had great character interaction between the lesser and the main.

I always believed that their positions, although not focused on as much, were very vital to the operation of the Enterprise. I also think that it was important for them to be there as at the time that the show was originally airing I do not believe that women were even permitted to serve in the military, I might be wrong about that though.

I always believed that their positions, although not focused on as much, were very vital to the operation of the Enterprise.  I also think that it was important for them to be there as at the time that the show was originally airing I do not believe that women were even permitted to serve in the military, I might be wrong about that though.

294848[/snapback]

When TOS was aired there was the Vietnam War. Women where in the military at that time. They where mostly Nurses, yeoman,photojournalists, clerks, typists, intelligence officers, translators, flight controllers, and band leaders. That is all I can think of right now. At that time women could only be in supportive roles.

I liked chapel's crush on Spock, but it's amazing to see how her character traits were revealed in "What Are little Girls Made of?".

Rand was crucial in many episodes like Charlie X

They were indeed important to TOS.

--------------------------------------------

Nurse Chapel TOS-ST:TMP ST IV:TVH

Yeoman Rand TOS- ST III:TSFS-ST VI:TUC

:yahoo: :lol: :lol: :flex:

I think their roles were important. Also the roles of women in guest star parts were important, often showing women in professional or non-traditional roles.

I think their roles were important. Also the roles of women in guest star parts were important, often showing women in professional or non-traditional roles.

295426[/snapback]

I definitely agree. And thanks for the information about female roles in the military during that time, I have never really been great with history.

As crewmates yes they were just as important as Uhura but as characters in the show definately not.

Their real lives turned out somewhat different. Majel Barrett married the boss. Grace Lee Whitney became an out of work alcoholic for a while. Grace's bit as an extra in the bar scene during ST I, was her first acting job in a bit.

Let's face it Janice Rand had Kirks fingerprints all over her tushie.

Nurse Chapel apparently had a majorly unrequited love with that Vulcan dude what's name

Grace's bit as an extra in the bar scene during ST I, was her first acting job in a bit.

Grace played Rand in ST 1. She was the transporter chief.

Edited by Kor37

Grace's bit as an extra in the bar scene during ST I, was her first acting job in a bit.

Grace played Rand in ST 1. She was the transporter chief.

322335[/snapback]

IMDB list her as playing CPO Janice Rand. I myself only saw her in the Bar scene during the Enterprises (seemingly neverending) unveiling. I never saw her playing the Transporter operator. Damn it I may have to go and look now. Thanks a heap :yahoo:

She was in the observation louge in Space Dock at the start of Star Trek 3 The Search for Spock - it looks sorta like a bar. And she had this crazy ginger permed hairdo going on!

I realize this is Trek heresy but Nurse Chapel and Yeoman Rand were basically eye candy. Grace Whitney and Majel Barrett, were in back in the day, hot. The novelization of the series greatly expanded the role each played

One of the novels I read explained Rand's disappearance from TOS by saying that she was off having Kirk's baby....lol

I can't remember the title at the moment. It was a long time ago. I'll try to dig it up for you.

While it's fairly obvious that the actresses who portrayed Chapel and Rand were picked for their 'eye candy' quality, the characters themselves made some very interesting contributions to the series.

Chapel was the only repeatedly on-screen character who reminded us that Spock was desireable among the 23rd century ladies. It also, however, was a sort of sad reminder that Spock had inadvertantly broken a lot of hearts in his time. But it was kind of a sweet relationship anyway. For instance, the episode where she had to slap him out of his self-induced coma has so funny! (Ugh, I simply can't remember which episode it was.)

Rand had a very interesting character. She was so . . . maternal towards Kirk. If that makes sense. I'm not sure if she was really in love with him, I think she just wanted someone to take care of. Her development in "Miri" I wasn't especially fond of, (although I'm not crazy about the entire episode,) but her reaction to Charlie in "Charlie X" was wonderful. It also reinforced her nurturing attitude. It really is a shame that her character didn't stay longer.

In fact, and I don't know that this is quite fair, but Rand and Chapel seemed to be more developed characters in the series than Uhura. That changed in the movies, but still. Am I mistaken?

In fact, and I don't know that this is quite fair, but Rand and Chapel seemed to be more developed characters in the series than Uhura. That changed in the movies, but still. Am I mistaken?

It never occurred to me before, but I believe you are right. Uhura did little else than say "Hailing frequencies open". She did have her moments though, in "Mirror Mirror", "Platos Stepchildren", "The Gamesters Of Triskilkion" and "The Tholian Web".