Sign in to follow this  
Abakai2003

Star Trek & intelligence

In reading the posts of and chat to the younger members of the forum

(Particularly those under 15) There writing style and incites into the subjects posted,

that they seem to be more intelligent than there age might suggest

now do you think that Star Trek Attracts intelligent people, promotes intelligence or

both?

(Particularly those under 15) There writing style and incites into the subjects posted,

now do you think that Star Trek Attracts intelligent people, promotes intelligence or

both?

I think Star Trek both attacts and portrays intelligent people. :martok:

both?

I think Star Trek both attacts and portrays intelligent people. :martok:

I agree, i don't know anyone smarter than me and me and my uncle are the only trekkers i know, he's pretty clever too.

(am talking about people i know off the net)

It's unclear to me that Star Trek necessarily attracts intelligent people. That's not to say that

there are no intelligent people attracted to Star Trek, but I know many more who enjoy Star Trek who

aren't very intelligent than those I would consider intelligent. Also, of the people I know, the

smartest ones (i.e., the smartest 50% of the people I know) are not necessarily attracted to Star Trek.

Maybe its just that the intelligent people are using this site.. :martok:

:angry: well said bevfanK!!!

If you have ever been to the startrek.com message boards then you know that star trek unfortunetly attracts idiots as well as intelligent people. All the trekkies I know off line though seem pretty smart.

If you have ever been to the startrek.com message boards then you know that star trek unfortunetly attracts idiots as well as intelligent people.  All the trekkies I know off line though seem pretty smart.

I just got back from taking a walk down memory lane at st.com, nothing much has changed, lotta new sn's there but the attitudes are mostly the same. Funny story; I posted an advertisement for this site on a thread of a person asking another member if they could have an "adult conversation", I got flamed on!

Maybe its just that the intelligent people are using this site.. :angry:

:martok: well said bevfanK!!!

I have to agree completely. I know Trekkies that reflect the full spectrum of the intelligence scale, from extremely intelligent to dumb as a rock.

Extremely intelligent or dumb as a rock, I believe the glue, which holds Trekkers/Trekkies together and gives all a sense of unification is the hope that one day the Dream of Trek will be realized. I know, corny as heck.

Extremely intelligent or dumb as a rock, I believe the glue, which holds Trekkers/Trekkies together and gives all a sense of unification is the hope that one day the Dream of Trek will be realized. I know, corny as heck.

no thats not corny at all! its true

no thats not corny at all! its true

agreed.. :martok:

Hmm... I don't think the "dream of Trek" will ever be realised. It's just a tv show. Whatever the future holds, I think it'll be completely different from what Trek portrays, but that's not a bad thing. :martok:

I do not have any doubts that eventually we will achieve the type of society that is portrayed in Trek..

Hmm... I don't think the "dream of Trek" will ever be realised. It's just a tv show. Whatever the future holds, I think it'll be completely different from what Trek portrays, but that's not a bad thing. :)

The "dream of Star Trek" is not just a tv show. Star Trek is entertainment but the philosophy, ideals and dreams it promotes is not something that can be dismissed as "just a tv show". The end to war, hunger, greed on Earth is a vision that I hope comes true. If you think of Trek as "just" a tv show then I think you have missed the point of Gene Roddenberry's vision and frankly, I feel sorry for you. No disrespect intended.

True, In TOS time the communicator was a dream. Now its a nightmare...shut up and drive, buddy!

and you watch Tng...the Data...i mean data PADD. We have then now too. Pc's from TOS. got them. Isn't the hypo closed to being in too????

In TNG they use warp drive as a sign a planet is ready to know the "outside" but i have often thought it was stopping the wars. If we cuold get along and there was ET's watching, wonder if they would drop by and prove teh GREAT BIRD right? :)

Hmm... I don't think the "dream of Trek" will ever be realised. It's just a tv show. Whatever the future holds, I think it'll be completely different from what Trek portrays, but that's not a bad thing. :)

The "dream of Star Trek" is not just a tv show. Star Trek is entertainment but the philosophy, ideals and dreams it promotes is not something that can be dismissed as "just a tv show". The end to war, hunger, greed on Earth is a vision that I hope comes true. If you think of Trek as "just" a tv show then I think you have missed the point of Gene Roddenberry's vision and frankly, I feel sorry for you. No disrespect intended.

Personally, I don't think there will be an end to war, greed, and hunger. I think the world will remain in it's chaotic state till the end. As a Christian, I'm a believer in the "Revelations" stuff at the end of the Holy Bible which is why I don't think the "Star Trek Dream" will ever happen. It's nice though. B)

Because i want to see a better and a bright place to raise my children in. I want to try and live by these ideas and encourage my family to embrace them as well.

I believe in IDIC.

It speaks to my heart and mind and soul

Because i want to see a better and a bright place to raise my children in. I want to try and live by these ideas and encourage my family to embrace them as well.

I believe in IDIC.

Well said Lessa. The world would be a much better place if everyone did.

Isn't the hypo closed to being in too????

The hypo is already here actually, just not widely used yet. :)

I believe in IDIC.

Too True!

Now if there where more people like that then the dream would become a reality

Can anyone define intelligence for purposes of answering this question. I mean really, IQ tests measure spational and analytical abilities but the theory of multiple intelligences says intelligence includes more such as creativity and musical ability.

My personal experience has been that Star Trek fans tend to be better educated (formal or self); a lot of scientists that I have known watch Star Trek.

Back in my college days (around the dawn of time) we learned that higher levels of education were generally associated with less prejudice and more acceptance which also goes with the Star Trek theme of a better world.

I'm sure I've posted this before but the words of Neve Campbell's character to Tom Paris pretty much sum it up..."you're different, you care about something other than your own little life" If Star Trek inspires people to live that way then it is more than a tv show.

However, we need to remember Gene Roddenberry did not create the humanist vision that Star Trek projects; he created a vehicle to exhibit those pre-existing ideals. Nor does the desire to end war, suffering and inequity belong only to the humanist philosophy. Many other philosophies, religions and social reformers have sought and do seek the same thing.

IMO, and this is one of those...this is my opinion things .. .while I love Star Trek and recognize its noble ideals...it doesn't command my true respect. I know and have known many people who truly live beyond themselves. I've known people that put in countless hours serving environmental groups to try and make the world a healthier place. I've known people that take meals to sick and lonely people, that give rides to the elderly, that take in abandoned children...and the list goes on. Those are the people I truly respect. The truth is...if I was even half of what the Star Trek ideal is I would be out there doing more to reach beyond my own little life.

Can anyone define intelligence for purposes of answering this question.  I mean really, IQ tests measure spational and analytical abilities but the theory of multiple intelligences says intelligence includes more such as creativity and musical ability.

My personal experience has been that Star Trek fans tend to be better educated (formal or self); a lot of scientists that I have known watch Star Trek.

Back in my college days (around the dawn of time) we learned that higher levels of education were generally associated with less prejudice and more acceptance which also goes with the Star Trek theme of a better world.

I'm sure I've posted this before but the words of Neve Campbell's character to Tom Paris pretty much sum it up..."you're different, you care about something other than your own little life"  If Star Trek inspires people to live that way then it is more than a tv show.

However, we need to remember Gene Roddenberry did not create the humanist vision that Star Trek projects; he created a vehicle to exhibit those pre-existing ideals.  Nor does the desire to end war, suffering and inequity belong only to the humanist philosophy.  Many other philosophies, religions and social reformers have sought and do seek the same thing.

IMO, and this is one of those...this is my opinion things .. .while I love Star Trek and recognize its noble ideals...it doesn't command my true respect.  I know and have known many people who truly live beyond themselves.  I've known people that put in countless hours serving environmental groups to try and make the world a healthier place.  I've known people that take meals to sick and lonely people, that give rides to the elderly, that take in abandoned children...and the list goes on.  Those are the people I truly respect.  The truth is...if I was even half of what the Star Trek ideal is I would be out there doing more to reach beyond my own little life. 

What can I say to that?

That was a Truely AWSOME post, Thank you

You have somed up all the thing I beleve in but never had the words so that I could understand it myself