Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Man/Woman

When I am speaking of some person when I don't know their gender, I say he, her, him, guy, whatever.

Human

He - Hers

Man - Woman

Male - Female

See? Man is usually the base word for the woman gender. So, when not knowing the person's gender, it is common to use the male gender as a referrence.

I also believe that if you are speaking of someone and do not know their gender, that it would be reasonable to use your gender. If you're a she, you'd say she, and if you're a he, you'd say he.

However, what gets highly annoying is when you say "he", and then some female comes up and is all like "she" is a woman, not a man, and gives ya the eye roll and all that. Really, why does it matter?

Does anyone else get annoyed by pollitical correctness in this aspect?

I agree with you

When I'm talking to a bunch of my friends who are female, I address them all as ''you guys'' even though they arent. Is that considered acceptable or not? :)

I agree with you

When I'm talking to a bunch of my friends who are female, I address them all as ''you guys'' even though they arent. Is that considered acceptable or not? :)

I think it is. However, if they don't like it, try saying... "Hey, you gals!" Then they might prefer "guys"... :laugh:

I agree with you

I think it is. However, if they don't like it, try saying... "Hey, you gals!" Then they might prefer "guys"... :laugh:

If anyone called me a gal I would slap them across the head! To me the term "gal" has always had an condescending tone to it. When referring a group of people as "hey you guys" the term has become gender neutral to many people (myself included). If you want to call them something try "hey girls" or "hey ladies" depending on age.

This reminds me of a time I was talking to a group of men at a hockey practice and one man was swearing and the coach yelled at him to watch his language cause there was a lady present and I actually looked around to see who had come down. :)

But... isn't "gal" the female version of "guy"? :)

Yes, it is. But it has become a kind of insult to females. Of all the female friends that I have, I will put it this way, If I ever use the word "gal" in there presence I had better duck and real quick.

PC sucks, its gotten so bad you cant do or say anything anymore, i also am guilty of the gender nuetral, HEY GUYS, or some such thing. when not being used to insult someone i just dont understand the reaction from some people about such things. there is no REAL gender neutral word, like HEY GUYRLS. lol :) so whats the problem.

Gals :) , are insulted far too easily, when you go through our mersey tunnel to liverpool, the sign on the pay both, used to say manned, now it says staffed, men = manned, women = womanned, what do you want!!!

They are just getting annoyin now, women are getting more rights than men these days, equality my @$$ :laugh:

PC sucks

If a dark skined woman shouted in the middle of London " I'm a Black Female and proud" everybody would say well done

If I said "I'm a White man and proud" I'd be arested for sexism and raceism

PC sucks

If a dark skined woman shouted in the middle of London " I'm a Black Female and proud" everybody would say well done

If I said "I'm a White man and proud" I'd be arested for sexism and raceism

Yep, pathetic, isn't it?

Oh, another thing I hate is affirmative action and having "variety" of people in careers and such. Like doctors for example. If the best doctor is black, hire him becuase he's the best, but don't hire him becuase he's black. That's just stupid.

How about this thing about women working and such? It's like you have to hire a woman or she'll sue you for being sexist. If she can do the job, hire her, but don't hire her becuase she's a woman threatening to label you a sexist or whatever.

Now, this thread is in no offense to woman as I've yet to actually see this for myself, but it does go on in this country.

I have always calles my friends guys you kow the "hey guys!! " type thing..

but if I am talking about some person and I don't know their gender they are called he or 'im, em, e..... it would sound like ..."so then I heard im say this..." no onw has ever brought it to my attention so thanx for the thought. :)

Gals :laugh: , are insulted far too easily, when you go through our mersey tunnel to liverpool, the sign on the pay both, used to say manned, now it says staffed, men = manned, women = womanned, what do you want!!!

They are just getting annoyin now, women are getting more rights than men these days, equality my @$$ :)

Hummm...curious...where do you think woman have MORE rights the men?

i don't care what you call me regarding gender as long as it ain't "baby" or something like that.

I've not ever thought GAL was insulting, I think its tone or expression on face that is insulting, not the words.

I agree Lessa that a lot has to do with the tone and who is saying it. From offices that I have worked in as a secretary I have always HATED if my boss refers to me as "my girl" or "my gal" (as in "my girl will get that to you"). I think most of the times that I hear someone use the word "gal" it has been in a condenscending "I'm better than you" way. You can call me a lot of things and it doesn't bother me but I don't like gal.

Abakai, I think if either you or the woman did that in the middle of London you both might be considered looney. :)

CJLP, when you join the real world of the workplace I think you will be in for a shock. Women are more likely to not be hired because they are a woman as compared to the other way round. Same with visible minorities. Affirmative action is meant to open doors that have been slammed shut and locked to people in the past. You can count on one hand the number of women and minorities who are on the Board of Directors of major companies and it has more to do with the "old boys network" than merit. Even when a woman or minority is hired they will likely get paid less than their white male counterpart who is less qualified. :laugh:

CJLP, when you join the real world of the workplace I think you will be in for a shock.  Women are more likely to not be hired because they are a woman as compared to the other way round.  Same with visible minorities.  Affirmative action is meant to open doors that have been slammed shut and locked to people in the past.  You can count on one hand the number of women and minorities who are on the Board of Directors of major companies and it has more to do with the "old boys network" than merit.  Even when a woman or minority is hired they will likely get paid less than their white male counterpart who is less qualified.  :)

"Affirmative action is meant to open doors that have been slammed shut and locked to people in the past."

I find Affirmative Action to be extremely irritating. Someone should be hired based on their skills, not becuase they are a minority.

I find Affirmative Action to be extremely irritating.  Someone should be hired based on their skills, not becuase they are a minority.

Yes it should be based on merit but that's not what happens in the real world. If that were the case there would be more women and visible minorities in the upper ranks of the corporate world. As it is now, and even more so in the past, the way to go up in the ranks is based more on who you know than what you know.

I find Affirmative Action to be extremely irritating.  Someone should be hired based on their skills, not becuase they are a minority.

Yes it should be based on merit but that's not what happens in the real world. If that were the case there would be more women and visible minorities in the upper ranks of the corporate world. As it is now, and even more so in the past, the way to go up in the ranks is based more on who you know than what you know.

I agree. The affirmative action laws were created to protect women and minorities from discrimination. And I agree with the needs for these guidelines. Having worked in corporate America I have seen far to many cases of women and minorities being held back for no reason. I have also experienced being held back because of my age. Even with the training and experience that I have I deal with the age thing alot. I have been turned down for many jobs that I was qualified for simply because they thought I was to young.

I also think that anyone who believes that the affirmative action laws should be eliminated is small minded and has obviously never worked in a corporate office.

I believe in equal rights - and I have no problem with "guys" being a neutral pronoun.

I find Affirmative Action to be extremely irritating.  Someone should be hired based on their skills, not becuase they are a minority

The opposite is also true - a person should be hired on the basis of their skills - not because they belong to the majority. I think most of us in the work world have seen that happen.

Without affirmative action many well-deserving applicants would not have a chance. On the other hand affirmative action does do harm in addition to the good. Yes, sometimes less qualified people are hired to fill the quota. This creates resentment and, unfortunately, it burdens many deserving employees with the stereotype that they were just hired for a quota.

Everyone's gung ho to get rid of affirmative action to eliminate the problems it causes but if you do eliminate it what do you propose to do to ensure that people do get a fair chance based on their skills? I've yet to see anyone offer a meaninful alternative

ARMS - explain again how women have more rights than men?

If you say something to someone and it offends them you have two choices - you can apologize and not say it again. Or you can do what Steven Covey calls "defending your position" and let them know in uncertain terms that you've done nothing "wrong" and if they don't like that's their problem. The essence of the question is "Do you care more about that person or your ego" Y'all just have to decide that for yourselves.

See if you'd just say y'all you wouldn't have to worry about guys/gals whatever.

And I agree - guys has a more neutral and less offensive connotation that girls, gals, ladies ...shudder...

edited to add P.S.

P.S. If I'm writing - particularly professional or term paper work I opt for "his or her" and "he or she" - that's just my preference.

I find Affirmative Action to be extremely irritating.  Someone should be hired based on their skills, not becuase they are a minority

The opposite is also true - a person should be hired on the basis of their skills - not because they belong to the majority. I think most of us in the work world have seen that happen.

Without affirmative action many well-deserving applicants would not have a chance. On the other hand affirmative action does do harm in addition to the good. Yes, sometimes less qualified people are hired to fill the quota. This creates resentment and, unfortunately, it burdens many deserving employees with the stereotype that they were just hired for a quota.

Everyone's gung ho to get rid of affirmative action to eliminate the problems it causes but if you do eliminate it what do you propose to do to ensure that people do get a fair chance based on their skills? I've yet to see anyone offer a meaninful alternative

If you say something to someone and it offends them you have two choices - you can apologize and not say it again. Or you can do what Steven Covey calls "defending your position" and let them know in uncertain terms that you've done nothing "wrong" and if they don't like that's their problem. The essence of the question is "Do you care more about that person or your ego" Y'all just have to decide that for yourselves.

See if you'd just say y'all you wouldn't have to worry about guys/gals whatever.

And I agree - guys has a more neutral and less offensive connotation that girls, gals, ladies ...shudder...

edited to add P.S.

P.S. If I'm writing - particularly professional or term paper work I opt for "his or her" and "he or she" - that's just my preference.

If I had my emotipad here at work I would give you a round of applause, but I will have to add that when I get home, for now I have to say that I could not have said it better myself.

edited to add P.S.

If I had my emotipad here at work I would give you a round of applause, but I will have to add that when I get home, for now I have to say that I could not have said it better myself.

ive been staying out of this one, but now i have to say something. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, IS ILLEGAL. how can anyone say they are an equal opportunity employer, when they are going to hire based on sex, race, or religion, THEY CANT. the solution is easy, HIRE THE MOST SUITABLE FOR THE JOB. i have seen way too much affirmative action, in many ways, first off is with civivl service tests, i have a friend who took the test for state trooper, he did GREAT, got a 95% on the test, and out of all NYS, do you think he ever got a call. NOPE. how is that right that someone that got a lower grade on the test got a job over him because of the minority status, again ITS NOT. I AM ALL FOR GIVE THE MORE QUALIFIED ((((PERSON))) THE JOB. but this crap about minority first, instead of qualified first, IS JUST THAT CCCRRRAAAAPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if someone doesnt get a job, and its CLEARLY prejiduced in some way, then theres legal means you can go about, but do you really want to work somewhere that someone is that much of an a**h**e that they didnt hire you just because your a woman, or a black man, maybe its just me, BUT NONONONNOO!!!!! i've also been there when i graduated high school, my parents were dirt poor, are still, when i went to see about college, or a vocational school, there was nothing for me, the answers to my simple question were absurd. my question," IS THERE NOTHING YOU CAN DO FOR ME?" well do you have kids, or any on the way? no well you not a woman or a black man, SO NO WE CANT DO NOTHING FOR YOU, YOU SHOULD'VE SAVED THE MONEY. i had a part time job, and working at dominos i made more than my parents do. but we made too much money. WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! and now to those of you who are no doubt about to attack my morals, "he's racist, or he's sexist" WRONG, in my family we've married just about every race and religion there is, AND I LLOOVVVEE MY FAMILY, most of my friends growing up were women, girls, so your wrong about that, im just tired of all the crap about wrong sex or wrong color. ITS ABOUT TIME IT WAS "HELLO YOUR THE MOST QUALIFIED FOR THE JOB, SO YOU'VE GOT IT" thats how it should be. END AFFIRMATIVE ACTION NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats how it is, in my opinion. like it or not, ive seen it and you cant change that. sorry to anyone in advance that will take this personally, but unless your the politician that started it, IT IS NOT.

edited to add P.S.

ive been staying out of this one, but now i have to say something. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, IS ILLEGAL. how can anyone say they are an equal opportunity employer, when they are going to hire based on sex, race, or religion, THEY CANT. the solution is easy, HIRE THE MOST SUITABLE FOR THE JOB. i have seen way too much affirmative action, in many ways, first off is with civivl service tests, i have a friend who took the test for state trooper, he did GREAT, got a 95% on the test, and out of all NYS, do you think he ever got a call. NOPE. how is that right that someone that got a lower grade on the test got a job over him because of the minority status, again ITS NOT. I AM ALL FOR GIVE THE MORE QUALIFIED ((((PERSON))) THE JOB. but this crap about minority first, instead of qualified first, IS JUST THAT CCCRRRAAAAPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if someone doesnt get a job, and its CLEARLY prejiduced in some way, then theres legal means you can go about, but do you really want to work somewhere that someone is that much of an a**h**e that they didnt hire you just because your a woman, or a black man, maybe its just me, BUT NONONONNOO!!!!! i've also been there when i graduated high school, my parents were dirt poor, are still, when i went to see about college, or a vocational school, there was nothing for me, the answers to my simple question were absurd. my question," IS THERE NOTHING YOU CAN DO FOR ME?" well do you have kids, or any on the way? no well you not a woman or a black man, SO NO WE CANT DO NOTHING FOR YOU, YOU SHOULD'VE SAVED THE MONEY. i had a part time job, and working at dominos i made more than my parents do. but we made too much money. WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! and now to those of you who are no doubt about to attack my morals, "he's racist, or he's sexist" WRONG, in my family we've married just about every race and religion there is, AND I LLOOVVVEE MY FAMILY, most of my friends growing up were women, girls, so your wrong about that, im just tired of all the crap about wrong sex or wrong color. ITS ABOUT TIME IT WAS "HELLO YOUR THE MOST QUALIFIED FOR THE JOB, SO YOU'VE GOT IT" thats how it should be. END AFFIRMATIVE ACTION NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats how it is, in my opinion. like it or not, ive seen it and you cant change that. sorry to anyone in advance that will take this personally, but unless your the politician that started it, IT IS NOT.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Gals :angry: , are insulted far too easily, when you go through our mersey tunnel to liverpool, the sign on the pay both, used to say manned, now it says staffed, men = manned, women = womanned, what do you want!!!

They are just getting annoyin now, women are getting more rights than men these days, equality my @$$ :P

THAT'S NOT NICE :laugh: 'gals' aren't insulted too easily. Most women probably don't care about political correctness, and its not like we get in a huff about it.

As for 'women getting more rights than men :martok:

Gals :martok: , are insulted far too easily, when you go through our mersey tunnel to liverpool, the sign on the pay both, used to say manned, now it says staffed, men = manned, women = womanned, what do you want!!!

They are just getting annoyin now, women are getting more rights than men these days, equality my @$$ :angry:

THAT'S NOT NICE :P 'gals' aren't insulted too easily. Most women probably don't care about political correctness, and its not like we get in a huff about it.

As for 'women getting more rights than men :laugh:

Then how come nearly every female who's screen name doesn't convey gender, gets upset when I call her a him?

cptwright - how do you know the person they hired got a lower grade than your friend - is that an assumption you are making or were the scores for all applicants given?

The biggest problem with affirmative action is that too many people think that when a woman or minority gets a position it is because of some quota and not based on their merit. There is nothing wrong with the concept of affirmative action. The problem is the perception of people (don't mean to offend anyone but mostly white males who feel hard done by) that they are losing rights rather than the rights of women and minorities are being re-inforced.

cptwright - how do you know the person they hired got a lower grade than your friend - is that an assumption you are making or were the scores for all applicants given?

The biggest problem with affirmative action is that too many people think that when a woman or minority gets a position it is because of some quota and not based on their merit.  There is nothing wrong with the concept of affirmative action.  The problem is the perception of people (don't mean to offend anyone but mostly white males who feel hard done by) that they are losing rights rather than the rights of women and minorities are being re-inforced.

when you've got one of the highest grades on the test but never get a call when you know there hireing, that means they went lower than you. also its illegal to hire, or fire based on age, sex, race, religion, so with that in mind, all affirmative action does is make it harder for yes the white male to get a job,IF HES MORE QUALIFIED, and yes thats me too. hiring should be based soley on QUALIFICATIONS, cant you agree with that. so what the hell do we need affirmative action for, it takes away qualification, and just makes it oh your a woman, or you black, or better yet a black woman, nono better yet native american woman. as i said i mean no disrespect to anyone, i just want people to be hired legally, by nature doesnt affirmative action make hireing based on race, sex, or religion. you cant not hire someone because of race or sex, but thats exactly what this does, and it discriminates against the white man. last i knew it was illegal to hire on a biased nature such as that. so how can affirmative action be legal