Sign in to follow this  
hangon

Bones

Ok i am sat here kicking myself because i was just watching a bit of TOS "Wolf in the fold" when debbie asked me a question....where did Dr.McCoy get the name Bones from?...i feel kinda stupid because i should know this and i am sure someone told me before,but anyway if anyone out there knows the answer then please post it here :rolleyes:

Kirk gave him the knickname.

278103[/snapback]

Aha i see and does anyone know why he gave him that name??...i thought mabe because he was so thin :rolleyes:

278103[/snapback]

Aha i see and does anyone know why he gave him that name??...i thought mabe because he was so thin :rolleyes:

278108[/snapback]

Ever heard of a Dr. of medicine (surgeon) being called a Sawbones? Kirk shortened it.

I wonder when Kirk first called him Bones, :laugh: I searched st.com and my reference books but could not find any entry for that...

278103[/snapback]

Aha i see and does anyone know why he gave him that name??...i thought mabe because he was so thin :o

278108[/snapback]

Ever heard of a Dr. of medicine (surgeon) being called a Sawbones? Kirk shortened it.

I wonder when Kirk first called him Bones, :rolleyes: I searched st.com and my reference books but could not find any entry for that...

278114[/snapback]

Hmm the name rings a bell not sure where from :laugh: but thanks for the info it had me banging my head off the wall for 2 hrs :hug: ..i just hope she doesnt have anymore like that tonight B)

278103[/snapback]

Aha i see and does anyone know why he gave him that name??...i thought mabe because he was so thin :o

278108[/snapback]

I wonder when Kirk first called him Bones, :rolleyes: I searched st.com and my reference books but could not find any entry for that...

278114[/snapback]

Hmm the name rings a bell not sure where from :hug: but thanks for the info it had me banging my head off the wall for 2 hrs B) ..i just hope she doesnt have anymore like that tonight B)

278122[/snapback]

Surething. :laugh: I think the term dates back to the Civil War - field amputations; that's where I first remember hearing it from.

In the days of the sailing ships the doctor on board, if the ship had a doctor, was called Bones. The nickname was give to McCoy from Kirk.

Gene Roddenberry was a big history buff. Lots of his charaters names come from history. I had read that from a interview several years ago.

I remember reading somewhere a while back that Roddenberry enjoyed the book Treasure Island and had come up with the nickname based off of the character from that story, who is one of the first people that attempt to provide information to the narrator *Jim*

Here is the character profile

Billy Bones: Billy Bones is the first pirate that Jim meets in the book - his appearance (ragged, scarred, ponytail, and a cut on his check) signals the end of tranquil at the inn. Despite his drinking (especially rum) and singing a song that is clearly a pirate tune, his seeking out the Admiral Benbow inn is a sign that he does not want to be captured. Although Billy Bones demonstrates this dubious behavior, Jim is not afraid of him and even enjoys the excitement that the seaman brings to the otherwise isolated island. In return, Billy Bones is kind to the young boy. Billy Bones is a precursor to one side of Long John Silver's personality, the kind, gentle, parental side that is present when he aligns with the "good" men. Although he is blustery, beneath it all he is good-hearted. Jim is genuinely sad when he passes away at the end of the first part of the book, from a stroke

I just found this online so it does appear to be the sawbones reference mentioned above, guess the treasure island thing was way off here is a quote

Leonard "Sawbones" McCoy, Commander

Ship's Cleric

Species:  Human, Male

12th Lvl. Cleric, Church of the Universal Constant

"Bones" McCoy, oft called because he believes that the hands on touch

is better than magic any day, is the ships grouchy old chaplain.  The

emotional ballast to the hard and logical Mr. Spock, McCoy is often

on Captain Kirk's left shoulder, offering advice or criticism as the

situation warrants.

And a definition

saw·bones Pronunciation (sôbnz)

(Medicine, Business)

n. pl. sawbones or saw·bones·es (-bnzz) Slang

A physician, especially a surgeon

Thanks everyone for the info i think that should answer debbies question more then i could ever hope of doing :frusty:

Thanks everyone for the info i think that should answer debbies question more then i could ever hope of doing :P

280491[/snapback]

:oe thats more then i was hoping for and a much better explanation for bones nickname then hang gave me haha i think i caught him off guard with that question :sly:

Edited by DutchDebbie

treasure Island was intriguing though. Great read. It is interesting to note that Bones is the first character to die within the first two chapters of the book. Kelly who played Bones was the first to die of the major TOS characters/actors.