Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

Vince Lombardi

He is the man. without him, the Green Bay Packers would not be the winningest franchise in NFL History. 3 Superbowls, something like 12 NFL championships prior to that, and 4 NFC championships. No other team comes close. it is only appropriate that Lambeau field is situated on...what else? Lombardi Drive! He must have been a great coach if everyone is striving season after season to win the trophy named in his honor. and of course, he is the Patron Saint for all Packers Fans....

All hail Saint Vince! All hail Saint Vince! All hail Saint Vince!

(By the way, that's three Hail Vinces. when the Packers lose, the Team Chaplin punishes them with 1000 Hail Vinces)

I believe Vince Lombardi is the father of modern football. He was the one who came up with the play book. I think :(

My first thoughts...

The Eagles gave him his only defeat in the post season when they beat him in the 1960 NFL Championship game.

He was coach and part owner of the Washington Redskins the year I was born.

He died when I was a year and a half old.

Also, he was named after the Super Bowl trophy...

Click For Spoiler

I believe Vince Lombardi is the father of modern football.  He was the one who came up with the play book.  I think  :(

273631[/snapback]

I don't know that I'd say he's the father of modern football, he certainly had a major role in the growth of football in the modern age. But I think I'd give the title of "Father of modern football" to Paul Brown. The founder of the Cleveland Browns and the Cincinnati Bangles.

The reason I credit Paul Brown is because it is from Paul Brown's coaching "family tree" that Bill Walsh comes from.

Bill Walsh is credited as the father of the West Coast Offense that has revolutionized the NFL dating back to the late 1970's and it was from Paul Brown that he began to develope that Offense.

I went to one college in Wisconsin, the other in Massachusetts, New England Patriots. In Wisconsin, GreenBay Packers, :( the school, any school in Wisconsin I guess, teaches their students about him. About his attitudes, his coaching style etc. I enjoyed learning about the man and saw many films about him. I enjoyed listening to him very much. I learned alot from these films. I am not a big sports fan but his philosophies were generic and could be applied to anything in life. I enjoyed his positive, encouraging, uplifting spirit. I thought he was kind of cute too, for an older guy :laugh: :( No wonder so many people loved him. I wish I could have met him. :( :lol:

Vince Lombardi and Curly Lambeau are part of the reason Green Bay is refered to as "Title Town". I visited the Green Bay Packers hall of fame at Lambeua field, and it has an entire section dedicated to Coach Lombardi. he also has a rather imposing statue just outside the Atrium. His most famous quote is probably "Winning isn't Everything, it's the only thing"

I grew up in Wisconsin and the man's philosophy and teachings are almost required reading there. His teams were the epitomie of sacrifice and team play. Had it not been for the Detroit Lions in 1962, the Packers would have been the first team to go an entire season undefeated and win the championship and not Miami. And yes VBG, the Eagles did give him his only post season loss but it just made him more determined to never lose again. Hence the five championships in seven years and three in a row, a streak that no team today can touch. And it could have been even more had the playoff system that we have today existed back then. The Packers and tv grew up at the same time and football has never been the same. Even today when pro football coaches are mentioned, the name Lombardi always comes up first. I was lucky enough to have been a child during his tenure and watched the games with my father. He admired Vince so much it just about broke his heart when he passed away in 1970. I was 13 then and I remember my entire school practically shutting down when the news came. He really is a saint in Green Bay and the entire state and no other teams even comes remotely close when it comes to fan support. The fact that there is no one owner has alot to do with that.

I remember that there was a saying of his painted on a wall in a gymnastics studio I used to compete & sometimes train at...

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing"

I grew up watching Green Bay, since my mom is a huge fan and a large portion of my mom's family were either born or at least lived in Wisconsin.

I really don't think enough can be said about Vince. Actually, some Packers fans have a unique pregame ritual: They face towards Lambeau Field, on their knees, and bow as they say "All Hail Saint Vince"...and there is another Packers Fan saying I've heard...

"Our Favre, who art in Lambeau, Hallowed be thy arm. Thy windom come, thy will be done, In Illinois as it is in Green Bay, Forever and ever, A-men."

I remember that there was a saying of his painted on a wall in a gymnastics studio I used to compete & sometimes train at...

I grew up watching Green Bay, since my mom is a huge fan and a large portion of my mom's family were either born or at least lived in Wisconsin.

285051[/snapback]

Yilarra, you were a gymnast? So was I when I was a kid. :nono::nono:

Guest Ktrek
He is the man. without him, the Green Bay Packers would not be the winningest franchise in NFL History. 3 Superbowls, something like 12 NFL championships prior to that, and 4 NFC championships. No other team comes close.

273603[/snapback]

Jim,

I don't believe this statement is completely accurate. The winningest team in NFL history is the Dallas Cowboys. Your no other team comes close is not true because the cowboys beat the Packers hands down. Here are the stats of both teams to present:

COWBOYS:

Super Bowl Champions: (5)

VI (1971), XII, (1977), XXVII (1992), XXVIII (1993), XXX (1995)

Super Bowl Appearences: (8)

V (1970), VI (1971), X (1975),  XII (1977), XIII (1978), XXVII (1992), XXVIII (1993), XXX (1995)

NFL/NFC Championship Games: (16)

1966, 1967, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995

Division Championships: (20)

1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1985, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998

Playoff Appearences: (27)

1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2003

THE PACKERS:

Super Bowl Champions: (3)

I (1966), II (1967), XXXI (1996)

Super Bowl Appearences: (4)

I (1966), II (1967), XXXI (1996), XXXII (1997)

NFL/NFC Championship Games: (5)

1966, 1967, 1995, 1996, 1997

Division Championships: (17)

1936, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1944, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1972, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003

Playoff Appearences: (22)

1936, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1944, 1960, 1961, 1962,1965, 1966, 1967, 1972, 1982, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003

Edited by Ktrek

Sorry Ktrek, but the statistics don't really show the whole story. The Packers were winning championships long before the Cowboys even existed and some of the division championships that you listed from the thirties were actually league championships. The champions were determined by the overall season record and football playoffs really didn't even begin until the late thirties, I believe. You also seemed to have neglected the fact that the Pack also went to SB 32 where, unfortunately, they were beaten by the Broncos. Your list of Championships from the 60's also seems to neglect the 1965 season when the Packers beat the Browns to win it all. That was the first of three in a row, 1965, 66, and 67, the Packers are the only team to ever have accomplished this twice. No other team even comes close. Super bowls didn't even exist until that first year of the agreement to merge the AFL and NFL. Too many fans think that football started in January of 67, the year of SB I. By that time the Pack had already won 8 championships. Division championships are great today because they determine the seeding for the playoffs but we all know it's the overall winner that really matters. With all of that taken into consideration, the Packers are still the best with 12 championships compared to the Cowboys five. And if you look at how many time the Pack actually played for the championship, they have on record only two losses in the big game in their entire history. That record would be 12 wins and only two losses. The Cowboys have lost the big one almost as many times as they've won it and the Packers were responsible for two of them. Now if you're talking about overall wins and losses, you might have something there but did you really count all the Pack's games going back to 1920? The Packers were winning back then as well and you have to take that into account as much as baseball fans count the Yankee's championships from the first 50 years of the 20th century. Just because we have no recollection of those times doesn't mean they didn't count. No, for overall NFL championships and the title of the NFL's greatest team, there's only one and that's the Green Bay Packers.

Edited by xenexian

thank you, Xenexian. and FOr the record, I have taken it as my personal mission to convert as many Bears fans to Packerdom as possible. and I have succedded a couple times, too.

thank you, Xenexian. and FOr the record, I have taken it as my personal mission to convert as many Bears fans to Packerdom as possible. and I have succedded a couple times, too.

285526[/snapback]

How did you do that? I have never met a Bears fan that didn't despise the Packers. Did you get them drunk and have them sign an affidavit?

285051[/snapback]

Yilarra, you were a gymnast? So was I when I was a kid. :hammer::naughty:

285280[/snapback]

Cool :rolleyes:

Yep, I was up until last year when I retired from the sport (after a 20 year career, 12 competitively, in the sport...I was ok with letting it go.)