Sign in to follow this  
Celtic_Swimmer

Riker and Troi

Hey i was wondering that everyone thought of Deanna and Wills Relationship in the Series to the movies???

For the show i think it was good because they weren't sure if they wanted to be together but at least they were best of friends and could tell each other ANYTHING. However in the movies, it took 4 movies for them to finally do something and thanks to Insurrection they finally got MARRIED in Nemesis.

and in the book Imzadi they told of how the relationship got started and all the steamy details and the reason Riker left being he got caught having sex with Deanna's friend (while intoxicated) after Lwaxanna yelled at Riker. Then in Imzadi 2 Worf left Deanna because her and Riker's love was just too strong for him to compeat with.. *because he used his mind to find Deanna, Worf and Alexander who were kidnapped and thousands of light years away... aww how cute :wow:

now what are your insights

It's about time they took their relationship further. In the series, Will and Deanna seemed to dance around not knowing what to do about their feelings then the next thing you knew they were flurting with one another. When I saw Insurrection, I thought "hew-about time they realized that they were meant for one another". The greatest shock came when they actually got married in Star Trek Nemisis. :rolleyes: :devil:

I may not be a fan of either Troi or Riker....but, All I have to say about their marriage is....ITS ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!!

Note:(that is the same thing I said to my cousin at his wedding-he and his fiance had been together for around 15 years)

I may not be a fan of either Troi or Riker....but, All I have to say about their marriage is....ITS ABOUT TIME!!!!!!!!!

Note:(that is the same thing I said to my cousin at his wedding-he and his fiance had been together for around 15 years)

Same! I like Riker though, but Troi....ANYway (:rolleyes:) it's about time is right!!

When i heard about them getting married, i think i actually did a little dance.

:rolleyes:

HEHE No worries when i heard that they were getting married i like screamed for Joy!!!!!!!!!!! my god i was SOOO happy.. like it only took 18 years for them to get married.. lol

I REALLY like Imzadi 1 over 2.. the second one had potential in my eyes but the first was in my eyes way better..

C_S

I havn't read either of the books however please add me to the list of people who did a little dance about them getting married I also did the "It's about time!!!" thing too... :rolleyes:

I had avoided previews and any spoilers concerning the movie until it was in the theater, so the first I know of it was when I was watching. And needless to say my reation gained me a few strange looks, as I proclamed "Riker you lucky SOB.."

I loved Imzadi (or most of it, anyways) but I haven't read the second one, yet.

There is an Imzadi 2 ! I love this board!! I found Riker and Troi's relationship to be a little bit overdrawn at times but enjoyed how they sought to be together again..Worf was never really in the running for me.

Although I was hoping to see the Betazoid wedding though.... :andorian:

Funny%20Above.gif Why does that not suprise me! I have to agree but for different reasons. Nudge%20Nudge.gif

I think it would have been funny to see them pull off the Batezoid wedding while keeping a PG-13 rating.

Although I was hoping to see the Betazoid wedding though.... :andorian:

Funny%20Above.gif Why does that not suprise me! I have to agree but for different reasons. Nudge%20Nudge.gif

That could have been fun for both sides. :theking:

Khh...boys...

Riker may be lucky to have Deanna, but I think Deanna is luckier to have Riker. I mean, he has SUCH shapely legs. Not to mention the grin...yum...:bow:

I never really understood their relationship, I've always thought that Troi was far too boring for Riker.

They should have never included Troi in the show.

Instead, Riker should have been like Kirk and just had a variety of space babes every third episode or so.

298343[/snapback]

B) I like Troi and I can't imagine TNG without her. TNG is better with her there IMO..And I do like the Troi / Riker relationship and it turned out just like I wanted it to all along..TNG without Troi would have been like TOS without Uhura.. B) It wouldn't have been the same..

They should have never included Troi in the show.

Instead, Riker should have been like Kirk and just had a variety of space babes every third episode or so.

298343[/snapback]

Sorry, your majesty, but this is one area in which I do not agree with you! Very surprising in that I'm usually sitting here at my computer saying emphatic "yeahs" and "You go, boy" whenever I read your posts.

I always liked Deanna at least a little. I liked her alot from third season on.

They tried to make Riker into a male ho and let Deanna sleep around in the first few seasons, but I think in the dawning age ('80's and early '90's) of sexual responsibility and sexually transmitted disease awareness which differs greatly from the swinging free love era of TOS, it was just kinda nasty and gross. So they kind of dropped the sleazefest storylines for both of them and I thought it was much better that way.

I was always for a Troi/Riker pairing from Encounter at Farpoint on.

Picard's dalliances were annoying to me as well. C'mon, Captain, make your move on Bev NOW.

They tried to make Riker into a male ho

:lol: I am sorry but that was hilarious, and I agree that is EXACTLY what I thought they were going for when referring to Riker!

but I think in the dawning age ('80's and early '90's) of sexual responsibility and sexually transmitted disease awareness which differs greatly from the swinging free love era of TOS, it was just kinda nasty and gross.  So they kind of dropped the sleazefest storylines for both of them and I thought it was much better that way.

I think it made for better storylines once they shifted from that. I never much liked either Riker or Troi, but they did get a bit better by somewhere in season 2 or 3.

I like Troi and I can't imagine TNG without her. TNG is better with her there IMO..And I do like the Troi / Riker relationship and it turned out just like I wanted it to all along..TNG without Troi would have been like TOS without Uhura..  It wouldn't have been the same..

Well, Uhura was there I think because Gene was brave and courageous and he wanted to give a black person a visible role in his vision of the "future", plus she was really cool, although she didn't have a lot to do on the show, her mere presence spoke volumes. Gene was a visionary and he wanted to break down barriers.

Troi did virtually nothing on TNG. Completely pointless.

Troi did virtually nothing on TNG. Completely pointless.

299359[/snapback]

I disagree with that statement..I like Troi and I liked her role on TNG..Perhaps she wasn't a valuable member of the bridge crew but she was needed on the ship. She certainly helped Picard out from time to time and her role as Counselor was necessary with the families aboard..

You also have to remember that the inclusion of the counselor was a compromise to people who wanted a chaplin on board. Roddenberry said that wasn't feasable because such a character would require knowledge of EVERY religion in the Federation and outside the Federation.

Troi may not have been the most integral character in the history of Star Trek but she played an important role nonetheless.

Edited by Jack_Bauer

I don't think she was required.

The episodes she spent "helping people" could have probably been based on other characters.

I think that when Whoopi Goldberg joined the show, the need for Troi was lessened even further because Guinan was far more interesting and insightful.

i think they should of got married earlier.....i mean they get married then they shut TNG off.... daft if u ask me

what do you say

I would have loved to see the wedding on Betazed in Nemesis... :lol: :lol:

But I think they married just because TNG was about to end, I mean, new ship, new crew, new wife for Riker... B)

The episodes she spent "helping people" could have probably been based on other characters.

I think that when Whoopi Goldberg joined the show, the need for Troi was lessened even further because Guinan was far more interesting and insightful.

299385[/snapback]

King, blame Denise Crosby! There were a number of first season episodes that Troi didn't appear in and they were going to cut her character UNTIL Denise Crosby announced she was leaving. The PTB (in this case Gene Roddenberry ultimately) had to decide whether to keep Troi or introduce a new female character. Let's face it, if there wasn't at least ONE woman on the bridge of the 24th century Enterprise, there would have been an uproar.

Personally, I'm glad they kept her, even if it had been just to have Lwaxanna Troi on every now and then.

299385[/snapback]

The US military recognizes the need for councilors for their service members. In the Navy on large ships there are Chaplins and therapist on board. If sailor is on a smaller ship and the problem is bad enough, that medical on board can’t help the person; they would fly to the larger ship. The needs for help with emotional difficulties are there and it won't hurt the person’s career.

As far as Guinan, she is very limited in what she can do as far as helping a person. If the person has mental problems Guinan would not be the person would go for help, because she is not trained to deal in these matters. She is after a good listener and a bartender.

Let's face it, if there wasn't at least ONE woman on the bridge of the 24th century Enterprise, there would have been an uproar.

Yeah, but neither of the two bridge women did much.

Crosby stood near her tactical station and did absolutely nothing.

Sirtis just sat in her chair and equally did nothing.

If they wanted a useful female character, then they should have had a woman as the pilot/navigator at the CONN station instead of the much hated Wesley Crusher.

That would have brought balance to the show because it would have looked like this:

Picard and Riker - The male characters.

Crusher and "Navigator" - The female characters.

Worf, La Forge and Data - The "gimmick" characters (alien, blind, android).

Plus a "wise bartender" as the person who the crew turns to for advice and they were all set.