Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Flu Shots

Will you get a flu shot?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Will you get a flu shot?

• Yes
    • No
    • Hmm, something else I need to think about.

Here's an article at CNN about the flu vaccine.

Guidelines for who should or shouldn't get the flu shot:

CDC

Soem basic info about the flu:

NIAID

I don't get a flu shot because I'm not in a high risk category. I know some people are concerned about the viruses causing the flu but they now use dead virus in the shot (spray uses weakened virus) and while the shot may cause symptoms it can't cause the flu. (There may have been a time when the vaccine caused the flu but I didn't find any info) However, they do ask you when you get the shot how you're feeling because if we're already developing the flu and take the shot you will get the flu.

People can have a reaction to the egg protein used to grow the vaccine.

DO NOT GIVE ASPIRIN TO CHILDREN WITH THE FLU. (Read up on Reyes Syndrome)

There is a very rare chance of developing Guillian Barre syndrome if you have a flu shot.

The flu kills thousands of people every year - so every one has to decide for themselves how much risk they're willing to take. Bottom line, people at high risk of complications from the flu are probably better off taking it.

Here's an article for of interest to Navy personnel:

Wavy.com

I voted yes. I have asthma and when I get sick, I REALLY get sick. I usually start hounding my doctor right about now to get in there before they have a shortage. I'm calling for an appointment Monday. I'm considered high risk because of my asthma.

High risk just because of asthma? Well, i think that's a load of bull, but then i don't get sick from the flu anymore (i do have asthma, but ever since i stoped taking the flu shot i've done BETTER when dealing with the flu).

Anyways, i'm in no frickin way taking another flu shot for as long as i live, unless i ACTUALLY need it :laugh:.

SM, excuse me but I had pneumonia BECAUSE of the flu for 5 years in a row. How can you say that's a load of crap??? :laugh: Did you know that MORE people die from Pneumonia than from diabetes? You can't base other people's health issues on yours, we are all different. That's just stupid. :clap:

Yes, I get all vaccicnations recommended by my doctors, and they recommend that diabetics get flu shots.

I used to not bother, and would get the flu at least once, but usually twice a year. I have not had the flu since I have taken the flu shot, although I have had one sore throat.

I have also received the vaccination for pneumonia.

The last flu shot I got was when I was in the Army and if gave me the flu. So I decided then not to get anymore flu shots lol

Since then (1989) I've had the flu maybe twice.

SM, excuse me but I had pneumonia BECAUSE of the flu for 5 years in a row. How can you say that's a load of crap??? :laugh: Did you know that MORE people die from Pneumonia than from diabetes? You can't base other people's health issues on yours, we are all different. That's just stupid. :clap:

268470[/snapback]

Jeanway, you misunderstand what i meant by my post (again). I didn't mean it was bull in that sense, i meant it was bull to put ANYONE who has asthma in the category of High Risk just because they have asthma, which is a GENERALIZATION. Instead they should check the medical history of the person and determine based on THAT the need for the person to get said shot.

I have asthma but i haven't had the flu for years and i stoped having it around the same time i stoped taking the flu shot, but i never said it's bull that anyone ELSE that has asthma wouldn't be high risk.

And i never said anything about flu not causing pneumonia, i never even MENTIONED pnuemonia, that's a conjecture you made based on something i didn't say, as are the other things based on pnuemonia, as i was sticking to flu related issues, not pnuemonia related ones.

I won't get one until I'm in a high risk group. There's too many other people who need it more than I do.

I am getting the flu shoot. Not that I want one, because I am in Navy I have to get it. :laugh:

SM, the reason people with asthma are considered high risk is because the flu can trigger an asthmatic attack. In other words - the flu could have worse side effects for asthmatics than for non-asthmatics. "Could" is the operative word, you have to balance the probability of getting the flu versus the probable severity if you do.

Agreed, everyone should consult with their personal physician who knows their medical history before getting any shot.

One fact I want to point out. Far too many people confuse "getting sick" ie having a cold with the flu. The flu is a lot more serious. I may have had the flu a couple of times or I may not have - I get colds a couple of times a year.

No, probably not. I have never needed it before, though that is probably because Mom is a doctor so she can catch illness and properly treat it early. If she thinks it is necessary though... she is the doctor in the family, not me!

No, probably not. I have never needed it before, though that is probably because Mom is a doctor so she can catch illness and properly treat it early. If she thinks it is necessary though... she is the doctor in the family, not me!

268605[/snapback]

You mother gave a new meaning of Dr. Mom.

I'll get one if I ever get over this head cold I have. Here, they won't give them to anyone if they are already sick with anything.

My reason for getting one is because I live with a small child and my elderly grandfather. I work in retail and the last thing I want to do is get the flu and pass it on to them!

Of course, as the doctors always say, frequent hand-washing is the best defense against sickie germs! :clap:

For many years I did not get the flu shot...I used to brag about how I wasn't at high risk, and that I didn't get the flu.........then one year after all the bragging....I got the flu.........I will never froget how much pain and agony I was in.......Ever since that year I have gotten the shot, and wouldn't think twice about not getting it........I don't think I will ever brag again about not being at risk for anything ..........I guess I believe now that if you are around long enough, your time will come. :b-day:

I also heard about the shortage today. So I will happily forego my shot so that people like my 82 year old grandfather can have theirs!

I'm still hoping I can get my daughter one as well... she had the flu last year and it was so scary because her fever peaked around 105 degrees. :b-day:

I usually get a flu shot every year since they are provided free where I work. I rarely get sick in the winter as a result. This year due to the shortage we were not able to get them and I have been battling colds and sickness on an almost weekly basis.