Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home

Well. Before the nightmare that was to be Star Trek 5, the storyline that was started with the Wrath of Khan wrapped with this gem in the Star Trek Universe.

Click For Spoiler
A newly resurrected Spock, still missing a few marbles, is back on his feet beating computers with his re-trained mind. Kirk has sacrificed everything for his friend and so now he and his crew must return to Earth aboard their claimed Klingon ship, to meet their fate. Now of course we think to ourselves, how are they going to get out of this one? And of course a Star Trek solution presents itself for their benefit. A probe demanding the reply of a whale is cookin up a climatic disaster on Earth. Kirk and his team must timetravel to Earth's past to get a Whale to bring back to chat to this probe and twell it where to go. They go back to 1987, find the whales, have some fun and return to save the world. At the end, they get a spanking new ship which looks just like their old one which was going to be scrapped!

I loved this film. I know Im a real critic and dont love everything Trek, but i loved this film. Fun. Now 80s retro. It's great. And who says you need space.No death. Eco-message. And neck-pinched punks.

The Voyage Home is my favorite Star Trek movie!!! No matter how many movies they make (and I hope it's a lot) this will ALWAYS be my favorite movie!!!!

I love the humor, I love the environmental statement, I love Spock re-adjusting to his Starfleet life, I just love everything about this movie.

I loved the Voyage home. It's right up there with First Contact, for me, and you know how much I love TNG (and certain people on TNG :look:) Its one of those I could watch over and over and over and over and OVER again!

The best ST movie ever!!Even better then FC and I loved FC! I could never get sick of watching it! :D:look:

I also loved The Voyage Home. Spock and his colorful metaphors! Classic!! The only thing I didn't like about the movie was Gillian Taylor..I thought she was whiny and irritating.

I also loved The Voyage Home.  Spock and his colorful metaphors!  Classic!!  The only thing I didn't like about the movie was Gillian Taylor..I thought she was whiny and irritating.

gillian taylor is VERY annoying.

but, this is my 4th fav. (4th movie, 4th favorite. coincidence? i think so.)

next only to the wrath of khan, first contact, and insurrection.

i havent seen st6 yet so i cant include it but im sure itll bump st4 down to 5th place.

This has to be my favourite Star Trek movie. It was so funny, and had some great one liners with lines like....

"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."- Dr Gillian Taylor

"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."- Kirk

Scotty... " Hello Computer "

Scotty..." A keyboard, how quaint "

I must have watched this film about 10 times now.

Yes this is definatly the best movie. They just released a special double dvd box set of it in the Uk and I've watched it a least half a dozen times since I got it.

The extras are incredible

6 and a half hours of extras B)

IMO the best Rek Movie and a good break from the last 2 ones which were pretty Dark, I still think Kirk should have delt with more isues concerning David's Death in it

Myself i really enjoyed the movie and the message it tried to tell.

Voyage Home is one of my favorite TOS movies along With STII and STVI. The humor is wonderful as is the change in Spock and great lines like "How do you feel? Spock why don't you answer?" "Mother, I don't understand the question?" " What did you say she had?" "Cramps." "One little mistake!" "Alameda. Where they keep the nucleur wessels!" and "A keyboard, How quaint!" I love this movie!

I loved Star trek 4,Voyage Home,I give 10/10,Its totaly awesome motion picture,like to see its dvd movie over and cver again.

I've always thought of Treks II,III and IV as one long movie. Its awesome to watch from beginning to end and better than anything from TNG.

Voyage Home rates pretty high on my list when I put all 10 Treks in order from favorite to least favorite.

And I have to agree with everyone here about the great one liners in the film.

For the past month Space Channel in Canada has been showing Trek movies on Sunday afternoons. So far Treks I to IV have been shown.

I saw The Voyage Home for the first time today. I really enjoyed it. The humour was wonderful. I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times. Kirk explaining Spock's behaviour as being the result of too much "LDS" and the mini-debate between Kirk and Spock regarding Italian food.

The only complaint I have was regarding Gillian Taylor's non-reaction when she saw Spock on board the Klingon ship. She didn't even flinch when she saw the ears. She also seemed too much at home in the Federation Council chambers. She's gone from 20th century Earth where alien life is still debated to being surrounded by species from so many other planets and she doesn't seem to be phased at all.

Indeed ST IV:TVH is also among one of favorites of TOS films and they went back to Earth in the Year "1986"not 1987 had many funny moments in it and Scotty beaming up 400 tonnes the Whales and water in the Whale Tank in the Klingon cargo Bay was also amazing and the keyboard joke also (was odd though where Gillians non-reaction to Spock on the Ship not flinching and the ease going from 20th Century to late 23rd Century didn't phase much on her most unusual??)

:dude::dude::dude::bow:

Another odd thing about Gillian is that the only reason she went back with Kirk was because she felt she was the only one who could properly care for George and Gracie. And whats the first thing she did when she got back?.........She shipped out on a science ship!

My son is supposed to be studying whales for a book he's illustrating/writing in kindergarten ... we were looking all over the place on the web and on Encarta for information on the "size" of the humpback whale. Then I remembered Gillian's tour and just knew that she had said how big George and Gracie were .... so my 6-year-old son and I sat down this morning and watched all the whale scenes in The Voyage Home. He particularly enjoyed Spock in the whale tank.

To my great joy, he questioned me for over a half an hour about Captain Kirk, Spock and Star Trek in general ... now he wants to watch all the movies when he gets home from school today.

Isn't that awesome! You should always initiate the Trek virgins with ST:IV. It hooks them every time!

I really liked Star Trek IV, good story, good cast (of course), can't really fail it.

My son is supposed to be studying whales for a book he's illustrating/writing in kindergarten ... we were looking all over the place on the web and on Encarta for information on the "size" of the humpback whale.  Then I remembered Gillian's tour and just knew that she had said how big George and Gracie were .... so my 6-year-old son and I sat down this morning and watched all the whale scenes in The Voyage Home.  He particularly enjoyed Spock in the whale tank.

To my great joy, he questioned me for over a half an hour about Captain Kirk, Spock and Star Trek in general ... now he wants to watch all the movies when he gets home from school today.

Isn't that awesome!  You should always initiate the Trek virgins with ST:IV.  It hooks them every time!

321405[/snapback]

I'm going to do that with my son too. I hope he gets a whale project someday.