Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ Little Debbie Snack Cakes ~

post-897-1096252242.jpgpost-897-1096252242.jpgpost-897-1096252242.jpg

WHAT?? :laugh: Your kidding right? :( OH, this isn't a Bandwaggoning, this is a Hyjack. :(

Little Debbie® the face behind our success..

McKee Foods has been manufacturing sweet baked goods in the Chattanooga area since 1934 and now provides jobs for more than 3,000 Chattanooga-area residents. The company has expanded with two other manufacturing locations (in Gentry, AR. and Stuarts Draft, VA.), a distribution center in Kingman, AZ., and sales representatives in 50 states.

But the Little Debbie® brand, which is generally better known than McKee Foods Corporation, was not always a part of the company.

In 1960 McKee Foods pioneered a new concept in packaging. They put a dozen of their 5-cent individual Oatmeal Creme Pie snack cakes into a box and sold them for 49 cents. They didn’t sell very many of these "family packs" during the first few months; the generic-looking packaging didn’t have much appeal. They decided to name the product after one of their grandchildren and see if that would help.

When the company’s founders, O.D. and Ruth McKee, began considering their grandchildren’s names as possibilities, most of them just didn’t have the right ring. "Little Debbie" did. Mrs. McKee went to her office and returned with a photo of Debbie taken when she was 31/2, and the small group assembled agreed it was perfect

...The face

The photo was taken by a company called Olan Mills. When Ellsworth and Sharon had asked their daughter what she wanted to wear to the sitting, she said, "My cowgirl hat." The hat wasn’t in the best condition. In fact, Debbie had stepped on the brim at some point and the crease that resulted was permanent. But as smart parents everywhere know, the best smiles are genuine smiles, and if wearing the hat would make Debbie happy and result in a good portrait, they’d let her wear it. That was a good decision, because the black-and-white photo shows a little girl who’s bright-eyed, happy and full of life.

An Atlanta artist, Pearl Mann, did the original artwork for the four-color carton. Following instructions, she made the little girl look older, around 8 or 9. Minor changes were made in 1987. The goal was to update the trademark without drawing attention to the change. Some things weren’t changed at all; if you look closely at the Little Debbie® portrait on the packaging, you’ll see the crease is still in the hat.

Before 1960 some years were profitable for McKee Foods and some were not, but the company has shown a profit every year since then. The owners can cite several reasons for the turnaround, but everyone agrees a great deal of credit goes to the cute little girl in the cowgirl hat.

EWWW, forgot about the Brownies :( :(

The other snack cakes are:

Honey Buns

Oatmeal Creme Pies

Strawberry Creme Rolls

Pecan Buns

There are more. Can anyone name the rest???

Any snake that has chocolate in it.  Swiss Rolls!  :laugh:

266887[/snapback]

I'm sorry Odie, but "any snake"?????? :( :blink: :(

Any snake that has chocolate in it.  Swiss Rolls!  :blink:

266887[/snapback]

I'm sorry Odie, but "any snake"?????? :( :nono: :(

266889[/snapback]

sorry SNACKS! Please don't take this personal, but I am dyslexic. There are days when all the words look and mean the same. :laugh:

Edited by Odie

Thanks, Jeanway. :(

Lets get back on topic

Devil Squares Cakes :(

devilsq.gif

Edited by Odie

I remember him. He used to be on the Twinkie wrappers.

I like Little Debbie Oatmeal pies,

oat1ccxd.gif

and Banana Twins,

bantwin_cg.gif

and their Brownies. I take these on put a big glob of peanut butter on top and then put them in the microwave for about 25 seconds. You can actually taste the sugary decadence. :flowers:

brownie.JPG

Edited by fenriz275

Locks Jeanways bandwaggon thread

Does that mean all of Planet Roddenberry and Cotten candy factory

You forgot to mention a great Debbie snack

Zebra cakes

Which rock

Does that mean all of Planet Roddenberry and Cotten candy factory

What does this have to do with Little Debbie snack cakes? Another thread-drive-by? :(

Thanks, Jeanway.  :P

Lets get back on topic

Devil Squares Cakes :(

devilsq.gif

266895[/snapback]

I bought some of these. They were on sale for a dollar a box. :)

Are Zebra Cakes a Little Debbie Product, because I love those bits of air and sugar. Hmmm, I need to swing by Ingles...