Sign in to follow this  
trekzone

Political Points of View

NOTE: This thread is not meant to be a political debate.

With elections in both Australia (13 days to go) and America (something like 36 days to go...?), does VBG have kinda like "ground rules" for support etc...

I know that Qo'Nos is a kind of "adult harbour"...but is it prudent to have a dedicated thread to each campaign? This is going to be an interesting couple of months.

You decide...or your thoughts..

My understanding is that all political discussion has been banned from Kronos. I don't know if they'll be allowed back after the election or not. I understand the purpose of banning pointless mudslinging and character assassination. But I think discussing issues (if anyone even knows what they are) would be a good idea. Sometimes I learn something from reading a different point of view on an issue.

For example it would be impossible to discuss the best method of dealing with terrorism without mentioning President Bush. Yet terrorism is a major factor in the political decision at least for the US.

And there is education, environment, economy etc.

It disturbs me that discussion of the decisions that will profoundly affect our lives and the quality of our future should be prohibited. But I guess there are other boards available if you want to discuss this things.

I tend to favor Nader's view of all politicians as Republicrats. Now if politics wasn't banned I think an interesting thread would be "Should Nader be allowed in the debates?" "Do not Address that question here"

*sigh* You know, just recently i started a thread talking about something supremely scary Bush said, but then it got stoped shortly afterward.

I understand the will to stop mudslinging, but why do we have to sign up on yet ANOTHER site just for the sole purpose of being able to trade political views?

I hate it myself, it makes little sense. :(

Ok I'll explain, TUH is correct; those topics are now off-limits to Kronos because of the "mud-slinging character assassinations" and for lack of "discussing issues".

I got sick of reading the same thing being posted day-in and day-out. Now I know some members often tried to start interesting topics which dealt with the ISSUES but few people ever responded to them, only threads featuring "mud-slinging character assassinations" were ever popular.

I being Mod there was forced (I didn't have a choice) to read all the crap & whether I agreed with it or not maintain myself as an impartial observer (I could never state MY views) so I took my concerns to the Boss. He understood where I was coming from and as a solution he suggested the creation of the ELECTIONTALK forum as a place where members could bash whoever they wanted whenever they wanted without being hindered by the regular rules for STFs and Kronos.

It was a win/win situation; I now had a choice of reading them or not and you all had a place for your favorite kind of politicking. :(

ok, thanks AE and TUH for your definitions - as i have been away for 6 months i wasnt sure, and also there has never been an election during this sites running...

I was gone for a few months also..........I was wondering what happened. I do understand where AE is is coming from........I just wish things had not gotten to the point where it left AE no choice. :(

ok, thanks AE and TUH for your definitions - as i have been away for 6 months i wasnt sure, and also there has never been an election during this sites running...

266903[/snapback]

I was thinking of responding to this, but I have to admit, the title of the thread is misleading. I was planning laying out where I stand on all the issues. I wasn't even going to mention a specific candidate. but it appears the thread is not about what I thought it was.

Man I new this was coming this morning. After the debates last night, and I dreaded it. This is where I stand. This is a Star Trek web site. If we're going to discuss political agendas, then lets say....who would make a better federation president Picard or Kirk? Don't get me wrong, I'm a registered voter. However, if I wanted to hear about the elections I would just turn on any TV or Radio wait for the 1st commercial and hear all the ridiculous mudslinging I can get my fill of!

So let's pull together as Trek fans, stop bickering and move on toward the future we all dream of.

Keep on Trekkin!

Oh, and I say Picard for President! He seems like the better diplomat. :P

Man  I new this was coming this morning. After the debates last night, and I dreaded it. This is where I stand. This is a Star Trek web site. If we're going to discuss political agendas, then lets say....who would make a better federation president Picard or Kirk? Don't get me wrong, I'm a registered voter. However, if I wanted to hear about the elections I would just turn on any TV or Radio wait for the 1st commercial and hear all the ridiculous mudslinging I can get my fill of!

So let's pull together as Trek fans, stop bickering and move on toward the future we all dream of.

Keep on Trekkin!

Oh, and I say Picard for President! He seems like the better diplomat. :P

268030[/snapback]

I agree with you on that one. Picard for Pres!

My understanding is that all political discussion has been banned from Kronos.  I don't know if they'll be allowed back after the election or not.  I understand the purpose of banning pointless mudslinging and character assassination.  But I think discussing issues (if anyone even knows what they are) would be a good idea.  Sometimes I learn something from reading a different point of view on an issue.

For example it would be impossible to discuss the best method of dealing with terrorism without mentioning President Bush.  Yet terrorism is a major factor in the political decision at least for the US. 

And there is education, environment, economy etc. 

It disturbs me that discussion of the decisions that will profoundly affect our lives and the quality of our future should be prohibited.  But I guess there are other boards available if you want to discuss this things.

I tend to favor Nader's view of all politicians as Republicrats.  Now if politics wasn't banned I think an interesting thread would be "Should Nader be allowed in the debates?" "Do not Address that question here"

266772[/snapback]

I thought the Quo'nos forum was designed to have stuff like that. If political debate is no longer acceptible, shut down the forum. We have too many here anyway.

Man  I new this was coming this morning. After the debates last night, and I dreaded it. This is where I stand. This is a Star Trek web site. If we're going to discuss political agendas, then lets say....who would make a better federation president Picard or Kirk? Don't get me wrong, I'm a registered voter. However, if I wanted to hear about the elections I would just turn on any TV or Radio wait for the 1st commercial and hear all the ridiculous mudslinging I can get my fill of!

Keep on Trekkin!

Oh, and I say Picard for President! He seems like the better diplomat. :)

268030[/snapback]

If this is a startrek message board, than most of these forums should be shut down. No body goes into the star trek boards any more, or at least not the voyager forum, especially during the week where another DVD set came out. :P