Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ How Often do you De-Frag? ~

As loading gets slower and slower on my computer and I learn to live with it, it occurs to me that maybe a defragmentation might help. I do one then everything is faster and so much better. I don't know why I neglect this important maintenance so much. I have "Maintenace Wizard" Which also scans and corrects errors and "Scandisk" which removes unneccesary files. I keep forgetting to do this. I just did one yesterday because my opening page icons kept moving around by themselves. This corrected that but now since, for some unknown reason to me my toolbar is different. It's also gone to the top of the screen and I can't figure out how to get it back down to the left side of the screen. Also I can't find my "Disconnect" icon anywhere. Any advice?? How do you move your toolbar around??? :wacko:

try downloading SpyBot.com....it's free and comes well recommended( thinks to those here that recommanded it and aol) sometimes you pick up a lot of cookies and stuff you don't want and you never even know it's there. Then run Search and Distroy, then run cleandisk program(allprograms>accessories>system tools>there you find it and defrag utility...i think that's right)

Edited by headborg

I still can't figure out how to put my toolbar back down the left side instead of across the top. This CAN'T be such a big mystery, doesn't anyone know?? You De-frag, TWICE a week?? I didn't do it at all for the first 6 months, then it took 3 hours. :wacko:

Edited by Jeanway

I don't know what you mean about your tool bars moving JW, :wacko: perhaps you're haunted. :P Mine are always across the top and bottom (unless I hit F11) Anyway I defrag at least once a week or at 95% fragged (<word?) or whichever comes first. Takes about 20 - 30 minutes.

As headborg says use that spybot, (if you're not using it then you may as well delete it and free up some space) it really does help keep things running more smoothly.

Jeanway, I think I can help you. Go to your toolbar and right click with your mouse. Make sure there is a check mark on lock the toolbars.

Frag comes from the word fragment. When the disc get fragmentized, meaning cut up into chunks or fragments, it takes more time for your computer to load anything, right? So if you get rid of the spaces inbetween these fragments

then it speeds up loading, right? AE. OR does it mean the spaces inbetween are the fragments that are deleted? Hence, "De-Frag"???? :wacko: :P

ODIE? What did you say???? :o Run that by me one more time. Please. I didn't quite get what you meant: "Go to your toolbar and right click with your mouse. Make sure there is a check mark on lock the toolbars."

Jeanway right click somewhere on your toolbar where it's blank and there will be on option for lock the toolbars. Uncheck that then drag your toolbars to where ever you want them, then go back and right click again and check lock the toolbars. As long as that is checked you can't move your toolbars around.

Jeanway right click somewhere on your toolbar where it's blank and there will be on option for lock the toolbars. Uncheck that then drag your toolbars to where ever you want them, then go back and right click again and check lock the toolbars. As long as that is checked you can't move your toolbars around.

263815[/snapback]

Thanks! :wacko:

Frag comes from the word fragment. When the disc get fragmentized, meaning cut up into chunks or fragments, it takes more time for your computer to load anything, right? So if you get rid of the spaces inbetween these fragments

then it speeds up loading, right? AE. OR does it mean the spaces inbetween are the fragments that are deleted? Hence, "De-Frag"???? :wacko:  :P

263814[/snapback]

http://support.nfcomputers.com/faq/01faq.html

RC and Odie. I right clicked all over the toolbar and I see no box with a check in it. Is it under another heading?OK, now I found a box under Properties that says "Always on Top" I clicked it to off and moved the toolbar to the left side of the screeen. But it shows too many things now. I don't need to see. And then it disappeared. I now have NO toolbar at all. How do I get it back? :wacko: :P

Edited by Jeanway

Jeanway when you right click on the toolbar that is anywhere on the toolbar. I draw a picture for you. Make sure that the check mark is "Lock the Toolbar." I hope you can understand it.

Edited by Odie

I have no such box Odie, I found the lock was controlled by a box clicked 'on' that said "Always on Top" I unclicked that and it unlocked the toolbar so I could move it. Showing the other things I didn't want were "Links" and "Desk-top" which I opened by right-click then clicked on "close". I am where I want to be now, the way it was. Thank you for all your help, Odie and RC. What you told me made me look for these options which were actually a little different than the ones you have on you computers. Odie and RC, what kind of computers do you have and what programs are you running? I have a Gateway and am running Windows 98SE. My computer is 4 years old but sat idle for 3 years so it's only been used for 1 year. So I think it's still in pretty good shape. I doubled the memory too with a new chip about 6 months ago. Thanks Guys :P :wacko:

Edited by Jeanway

Odie and RC, what kind of computers do you have and what programs are you running? I have a Gateway and am running Windows 98SE. My computer is 4 years old but sat idle for 3 years so it's only been used for 1 year.

263863[/snapback]

I have a Sony Vaio with Windows XP. I also have a Compaq Presario with Windows ME for the kids.

At home I have Compac with Windows XP. At work I have Dell with Windows2000.

RC and Odie. Have you owned more than one computer? If I were to buy a new one in maybe another year would you recommend one over another? And why? Anyone can answer this question, I'm just trying to gather as much information on new computers as I can before I decide which kind to buy. I am satisfied with a Gateway but I have used a Mac in college and before that I had some mongel brand, I didn't know what to buy so I just bought the first one I looked at, like most of us. I think it was a Geo, DUH!!! :wacko: :P Long gone. But I had fun with it.

A Geo?!!! :wacko:

Sounds almost like mine. I have one of those old computers that you have to stoke with coal and then turn a little crank to get it to start. It also helps if you yell "Contact!" when you try to boot it up. :o :P

I have only one computer and it was my first computer that I ever bought. Go with the Dell or Gateway.

Edited by Odie

A Geo?!!!  :(

Sounds almost like mine. I have one of those old computers that you have to stoke with coal and then turn a little crank to get it to start. It also helps if you yell "Contact!" when you try to boot it up.  :wacko:  :o

263877[/snapback]

OH DEAR LORD, I said too much :hug: :P

I'm very happy with my Vaio but I think my sister's computer is even better. I forget what she has but I'll ask her when she gets online.

Good, think us girls need a computer chat just for us anyway. Those guys try to act like they know EVERYTHING. :wacko: And preach at us like we are morons. :o :P We just need to have things explained in a non threatening way, do you agree?

At work I am the one who takes care of the computer. I even answer any computer questions from the guys on the tug. :wacko:

Good,  think us girls need a computer chat just for us anyway. Those guys try to act like they know EVERYTHING. :wacko: And preach at us like we are morons. :o  :P We just need to have things explained in a non threatening way, do you agree?

263893[/snapback]

If a guy's preaching at you like you're a moron you need to hang around different men. My tech support team is brother-in-law, VBG and ddillard and they never talk down to me ever. 143764.gif

That was in school RC, I'm out of school now and I just hang around with Fen and he's NOT like that at all.

I have a Powerspec with a 3.0 Gig processor with 1024 ram...

160 GB Harddrive

DVD+-RW and DVD-Rom

Runs like a dream.

I defrag ever two days. Disk clean-up every day.

Spybot S&D every day. Ad-aware SE every day.

Just added Spyware blaster for Active X controls