Sign in to follow this  
Sam The Smuggler

The Televison Stereotype Of A Star Trek Fan

omg thats so mean! i've never seen the comercial either and i hope i never do. Sterotyping is so annoying! Like most people have said, I as well am the kind of person that know one really knows that i like trek. No one steroptypes me or makes fun of me (Except of course my mom..) but i've seen happen and I know what you mean...its so horrible!

Yep, I've been through the old "trekkies are weirdos" thing myself. I work in a call center which requires business casual dress, so I go to work wearing dress pants and a sweater, or blouse, depending on the weather. We work on a computer all day, and the desktop pic on my work computer is a picture of the starship Voyager, which I downloaded from startrek.com. One day, one of my co-workers noticed my desktop and he got a look on his face like he had just sucked on a lemon. "Who did THAT?!?" he asked, while pointing at my monitor. I just smiled and replied, "I did." His only reply was "Oh" while backing away like I was going to whip out a knife and stab him or something. Jerk.

Yep, I've been through the old "trekkies are weirdos" thing myself.  I work in a call center which requires business casual dress, so I go to work wearing dress pants and a sweater, or blouse, depending on the weather.  We work on a computer all day, and the desktop pic on my work computer is a picture of the starship Voyager, which I downloaded from startrek.com.  One day, one of my co-workers noticed my desktop and he got a look on his face like he had just sucked on a lemon.  "Who did THAT?!?" he asked, while pointing at my monitor.  I just smiled and replied, "I did."  His only reply was "Oh" while backing away like I was going to whip out a knife and stab him or something. Jerk.

Hey, at leasy you know he'll never bug ya! :innocent:

I have seen and been around trek lovers of all types though I will say that the "less socially" involved people are more open to say that they are treks then the "more socially" involved people oh I dont knowlike jocks and cheerleaders vs the chess club and science team

( please dont take offence this is just my opinion)

I just downloaded an episode of Futurama called "Where no fan has gone before." The show is all about star trek and has a lot of stereotypes. But at least there is one part where a main character says that "when he didn't have any friends at all, Star Trek kind of made him feel like he did"

I just can't believe how many of the Trek stars they got to do voices for this one. They had William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, George Takei, Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols, and Jonathon Frakes as the voices of themselves in the episode.

u cant tell that im a trekkie either. people think that all trekkies have frequently used asthma puffers, thick coke bottle glasses, and pants which dont even reach their shoes.

We work on a computer all day, and the desktop pic on my work computer is a picture of the starship Voyager, which I downloaded from startrek.com.  One day, one of my co-workers noticed my desktop and he got a look on his face like he had just sucked on a lemon.  "Who did THAT?!?" he asked, while pointing at my monitor.  I just smiled and replied, "I did."  His only reply was "Oh" while backing away like I was going to whip out a knife and stab him or something. Jerk

I know exactly what you mean. I work on a computer all day at work as well. I thought about having a ST desktop but I have decided against it because I just don't want to deal with all of the comments that I know I will get.

I feel like I have to be a closet trekkie. (I'm not even sure what defines a trekkie, but I guess for one thing, if you're on this board you qualify). Most everyone I know that knows I like ST feels the need to comment every now and then. It bothers the hell out of me. I think the stereotype that surrounds us trekkies, is based on human prejudice to not like something they do not understand.

To tell you guys the truth, I am sooo looking forward to May 20th to get Nemesis but I know I will want to buy it and get out of the store as fast as I can. I just don't want people looking at me and snickering. I'm sure it's all in my head but whenever I buy anything ST I feel like I'm being judged or labeled.

We work on a computer all day, and the desktop pic on my work computer is a picture of the starship Voyager, which I downloaded from startrek.com.  One day, one of my co-workers noticed my desktop and he got a look on his face like he had just sucked on a lemon.  "Who did THAT?!?" he asked, while pointing at my monitor.  I just smiled and replied, "I did."  His only reply was "Oh" while backing away like I was going to whip out a knife and stab him or something. Jerk

I know exactly what you mean. I work on a computer all day at work as well. I thought about having a ST desktop but I have decided against it because I just don't want to deal with all of the comments that I know I will get.

I feel like I have to be a closet trekkie. (I'm not even sure what defines a trekkie, but I guess for one thing, if you're on this board you qualify). Most everyone I know that knows I like ST feels the need to comment every now and then. It bothers the hell out of me. I think the stereotype that surrounds us trekkies, is based on human prejudice to not like something they do not understand.

To tell you guys the truth, I am sooo looking forward to May 20th to get Nemesis but I know I will want to buy it and get out of the store as fast as I can. I just don't want people looking at me and snickering. I'm sure it's all in my head but whenever I buy anything ST I feel like I'm being judged or labeled.

I love Trek & I'm proud of the fact

When I buy Trek stuff I hold my head high :laugh:

I don't look like a Treker but I sound like one.

I love Trek & I'm proud of the fact

When I buy Trek stuff I hold my head high :laugh:

I don't look like a Treker but I sound like one.

Abakai2003, I am not ashamed of being a ST fan. I just don't want to deal with other people's ignorance.

I forgot to mention in my last post that there is a very typical stereotype of a trekkie in the movie Daddy Daycare. At first it made me angry but then I actually enjoyed it because there were so many Trek references and it wasn't in a bad way just references. If you guys see it, stay for the credits, there's another reference in the out-takes that's pretty funny.

Abakai2003, I am not ashamed of being a ST fan.  I just don't want to deal with other people's ignorance. 

I am Truely sorry shinzonfan I did not Meen to Imply that you where ashamed of being a ST fan I'v been up for about 48hrs and it didn't come out the way I ment.

What I ment was just that I have no problems whith confruntation.

At the video store I buy season box-sets at, on the day before the release date of DS9 season two on DVD, the people responsible for bringing out the next days releases and shelving them had not done their jobs. So in I come asking where they are and the clerk starts making this Hugh scene, shouting across the store asking other workers where the "New Star Track’s" were and griping about having to do other peoples jobs. Eventually she goes to the store rooms and comes back out with a hand truck full of boxes, starting at the top she opens them one by one, all the time continuing her temper tantrum and drawing the attention of everyone in the store to the scene. Turns out the DS9 were in the last box and she takes one out and is holding it up in the air, waving it around, making sure everyone gets a good look at what it was that had caused the trouble. I had never been so relieved and embarrassed at the same time.

At the video store I buy season box-sets at, on the day before the release date of DS9 season two on DVD, the people responsible for bringing out the next days releases and shelving them had not done their jobs. So in I come asking where they are and the clerk starts making this Hugh scene, shouting across the store asking other workers where the "New Star Track’s" were and griping about having to do other peoples jobs. Eventually she goes to the store rooms and comes back out with a hand truck full of boxes, starting at the top she opens them one by one, all the time continuing her temper tantrum and drawing the attention of everyone in the store to the scene. Turns out the DS9 were in the last box and she takes one out and is holding it up in the air, waving it around, making sure everyone gets a good look at what it was that had caused the trouble. I had never been so relieved and embarrassed at the same time.

Sure hope they didn't have sales commissions at that store.

Hmmm..so buying Trek Stuff and getting reactions is the topic now huh?? Cool :laugh:

I don't Show Everyone what I bought, or about to buy...but I don't mind if anyone sees it. Infact...I get really serious around the DVDs trying to find them....Looking with Intense purpose :laugh:

Sure hope they didn't have sales commissions at that store.

I'm not sure if they do or not (Suncoast) One thing I do know, she was the owner. :laugh:

I do not usually display trekiness openly ...so consequently I don't look like the stereotype. I doubt that there are people who look or behave like the stereotype. That's the thing with stereotypes they are a generalisation not always drawn from evidence.

By the way, my students think it's fun to use my Star Trek pencil instead of their own in class. They use Simpson, Garfield, Winnie the Pooh pens so why can't I use my Trek pencil? Still would like to know what happened to the model Enterprise that used to sit on the end. Maybe it's exploring some dark corner of the classroom? :idea:

Eh, if I were you, I would have lodged a complaint with management. There job is to have the videos on the shelf the day of the release so the costomers could buy them. If that had happened to me, I would have bought the season set, then told them that I'm never coming back and will tell all my friends, their friends, my family, and my family's friends about how horrible this stores service is. :idea:

I think we are always being judged in one way or another. And while it bothers me to be sterotyped..........I've always been sterotyped. So it's nothing new. And it's nothing I can do about it. But when people learn that I'm a Trekkie, they get an education, because their stereotype of Trekkie's get "Shot to Hell." :devil:

I hate stereotyping too. I rememeber their was a commercial (I don't remember what for) with these nice looking ladies who were on blind dates with guys they considered nerds. How did they get rid of them? They turned the TV to Star Trek and snuck out when the guys were distracted. I agree that people invent some nasty preconceptions about almost eveything. Trekkers come from all over the world and have different interest levels. I guess if the guys in the commercial ignored them for a sports broadcast (another stereotype) that would be acceptable.

And now since I am in a band(and sometimes sit in with the high school band at alumni games), I would be a Band nerd as well.

Does this mean that you also attented band camp? B)