Sign in to follow this  
Sam The Smuggler

The Televison Stereotype Of A Star Trek Fan

You Know It Happens.

You've Seen 'Em.

Now Share 'Em.

I remember on Episode Of Full House, D.J.'s Friend Kimmy Brought over 2 Dates for them, and these guys were Nerd To The Bone.

D.J. asked Kimmy

"Geez Kimmy, where'd you find these guys, at a Star Trek Convention??"

I Hate stuff like that...and I bet Nerds that don't like Star Trek find it annoying aswell.

and trust me...You'd have no clue that I'm a Star Trek Fan just by looking at me.

Stereotyping any group of people is just ignorant, but it happens all the time. I don't let it bother me. Nobody would guess I'm a trekkie either. Maybe I should start wearing spock ears.winker.giflaughing-smiley-002.gif

Most people can't tell that I am a Trek fan from looking at me...heck I was/am classified as a Nerd as well by classmates(just because I am a Science major, and have pretty much always been on the High honor roll since day 1 of school)....but, I don't look like one. OK, so I am also an athlete as well, now there..that is a stereotype I kinda look like with my sweatpants and gymnastics competition T-Shirts. I hate it when people classify others..."The Cheerleader", "the Jock", THe Nerd, ect ect.

Being called Nerd was just one of a few...I was in Drama as well so I was called a Drama freak! And now since I am in a band(and sometimes sit in with the high school band at alumni games), I would be a Band nerd as well. Arghh! Stereotypes are so irritating! "Want to know waht group I feel I belong in....ME, I am me and that is what counts." That is what I would tell people who used to pick on me for being/being happy with who I was

I completely agree. People should not be stereotyped. I have dealt with most of the stereotypes, and I have always let them just roll of. The only time that I have gotten into a heated discussion about stereotypes was at a family dinner last month. I was discussing my efforts to get back into my preferred line of work, security management, and my aunt announced that I was to smart to be a "stupid security guard." It just set me off as most of my friends do security and they are all extremely smart, and they enjoy what they are doing. I informed her that the only thing stupid about the decision would be if I continued to do a job that I hate, instead of doing the one that makes me happy.

Urgh, when people are saying they're "not obsessed", they say "I'm not a Trekkie". Now what exactly is THAT supposed to mean? People stereotype everything, and it bugs the heck out of me..one of my great pet peeves :bow:

I informed her that the only thing stupid about the decision would be if I continued to do a job that I hate, instead of doing the one that makes me happy.

appl.gifappl.gifappl.gif

Urgh, when people are saying they're "not obsessed", they say "I'm not a Trekkie". Now what exactly is THAT supposed to mean? People stereotype everything, and it bugs the heck out of me..one of my great pet peeves :bow:

Well don't worry dsbs. I can happily say I am a bit obsessed(and you know with who!) and I am a Trekkie(or trekker depending on who you are)

And for all those people out there that picked on any Trek fan, or anyone...just because the bullies think that we are not normal....Just remember the immortal words of Fox Mulder on the X-Files, "How do you define normal?"

You know, the same people who stereotype us use an awful lot of the technology inspired by Star Trek. 1038006008.gif

And so many things come from Trek that no one even realises. You hear people talking about "Warp speed" all the time, and in the next sentence they're dissing trekkies (I'd call myself a Trekkie if yu think it means healthily obsessed!)

You know, the same people who stereotype us use an awful lot of the technology inspired by Star Trek. 1038006008.gif

Palm Pilots are a good example. I read somewhere that the person that originally designed them had gotten the idea from the PADDS on Star Trek.

I was reading a Star Trek Book in Studyhalll back in Highschool and one of my friends asked me what I was reading...and I told her it was a Star Trek Book and she back away and made a "eww"-like noise as if I had a disease.

and no...that didn't ruin the friendship :bow:

Palm Pilots are a good example. I read somewhere that the person that originally designed them had gotten the idea from the PADDS on Star Trek.

I wonder where the idea for cell phones came from. Hmmmm. 1042284708.gif

communicator_tos-1.jpgImage16.jpg

It's one thing to be fall into a group of people, like the jock, nerd, Trekkie, religous guy, and so forth... That doesn't bother me.

What "does" bother me is stereotyping. Example: Someone sees a nerd, and assumes he watches Star Trek. That implies nerds watch Trek, and Trekkies are nerds. ANNOYING!

Like I said, it's one thing to fit in a category, it's another to be stereotyped. Like jocks. You can be "a" jock, but being called "the jock" would be highly irritating.

Let's see here...Automatic Doors in supermarkets

I just wish that they made that "Swoosh" sound from TOS  :bow:

I read on the bottom of the screen during one of those bonus treks that some guy said "they have doors that open when you walk at them, so do we. They have communicators, we have cell phones. When am I getting my phaser??"

:bow::bow:

Now I'm into this, I want to find out all the technology that ST inspired. I think I've gone off topic....sorry. 11doh.gif

Let's see here...Automatic Doors in supermarkets

I read on the bottom of the screen during one of those bonus treks that some guy said "they have doors that open when you walk at them, so do we. They have communicators, we have cell phones. When am I getting my phaser??"

Yeah! I want to have a phaser!!

Yeah, it pisses me off too. I've met a lot of "nerds" in my time and none of them watched Star Trek. Everybody I know that watches or has watched Star Trek are just typical looking people. Stereotypes are everywhere and it's not limited to ethnicity. Just remember folks, people are stupid :bow:

lol looking at me you would never guess that i watch star trek...i guess u could say i was stereotyped as one of those popular underachieveing smoker/alcoholics in high school...kinda sucked cause people never knew what to make of me...here i am 6 years later torn between attending medical school or getting my master is engineering..lol sucks how people take a look at you and think one way when they are totally wrong...

Thinking about it. Is it just me or does every nerd protrayed on a television show, expecially when they are on a comedy, have at least one episode where they go to a Star Trek convention and a picked at about by the other cast members.

I'm another you can't tell about. I look relatively normal (but, as you say, what is normal?). And I DON'T like all the jokes. insults, etc., aimed at Trekkies. That's when you come up with lines like, "The fans I've met are very real, very normal. They're just in another reality - the future." (Ok, that's a bit of a paraphrase, but I can't quickly find the article.) Of COURSE I'm real and/or normal - what was he expecting? And I'm not in another reality - I have to live in this one. I just visit the other! :bow:

I don’t know if they are stereotyping cause I did not see it but my daughter saw Daddy Daycare, she told me there is a child character, which only speaks Klingon.

I really don't know what the stereotype of a Star Trek fan is supposed to be. But obviously I must not fit what most people have in mind. Because whenever I tell people that I am a "trekkie" they get this weird look on their faces and say, "You don't look like you'd be into Star Trek. I don't bother to ask them what a Star Trek fan is supposed to look like. Because I don't have time to respond to such a "STUPID" statement. :devil:

I really don't know what the stereotype of a Star Trek fan is supposed to be.  But obviously I must not fit what most people have in mind.  Because whenever I tell people that I am a "trekkie" they get this weird look on their faces and say, "You don't look like you'd be into Star Trek.  I don't bother to ask them what  a Star Trek fan is supposed to look like.  Because I don't have time to respond to such a "STUPID" statement. :devil:

They probably think of Trekkies as people who wear Starfleet uniforms 24/7, spend $11000 decorating their apartment to look like the Enterprise (TrekMage's thread) and need Klingon interpreters at hospitals. :bow:

They probably think of Trekkies as people who wear Starfleet uniforms 24/7, spend $11000 decorating their apartment to look like the Enterprise (TrekMage's thread) and need Klingon interpreters at hospitals. :bow:

:bow: You are probably right. And people who have such perceptions constatly have sterotypes about other things too. It's so sad because just like everything else, Star Trek fans come from every walk of life......We are of all races, religions, ages, and abilities. :bow:

Has anyone seen the ad for comcast??

There are these two prety girls sitting on a couch and these two nerdy guys come and sit with them so the girls(Trying to distract the nerds) change the TV to TOS and make there escape while the two nerds sit there dead to the world watching trek..

It is so demeaning.. :wow:

Has anyone seen the ad for comcast??

There are these two prety girls sitting on a couch and these two nerdy guys come and sit with them so the girls(Trying to distract the nerds) change the TV to TOS and make there escape while the two nerds sit there dead to the world watching trek..

It is so demeaning.. :wow:

Didn't see the comercial, but I fully agree. :)