Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Solar probe "Geneses" fails

Bummer. :huh:

Genesis Sample Return Capsule Hits the Ground

The Genesis sample return capsule's drogue and parafoil did not deploy as planned today, and the capsule impacted on the ground in the Utah desert (image at right). Since the spacecraft landed in a remote area, no people have been injured and no structures have been damaged. NASA has declared a spacecraft contingency, which calls for the establishment of a mishap review board within 72 hours.

As always, safety is the top priority, and NASA is working to make sure that no one is in danger from unexploded ordnance that was supposed to deploy the parachutes.

NASA is looking at trajectory and other data to determine what may have led to the failure of the parachutes to deploy. The capsule was designed to be able to survive such a landing. Until the spacecraft is transported to a "clean room" in Utah, NASA will not know the condition of the science samples, solar particles that were captured by Genesis and stored in the capsule.

NASA will share whatever we learn with the public as soon as possible.

64708main5_genesis_ground_300.jpg

From the looks of it in the picture it didn't survive, it's cracked wide open. I hope anything that probe was carrying hasn't 'escaped' into Earths atmosphere. :laugh: The Bible speaks of something it calls "Wormwood" which falls to Earth and poisons 2/3 of the planet.

Go HERE for all the details of this failed mission.

It is a shame, however sceintist are picking over the wreckage to see if anything was salvagable. Oh and Alterego, I may be wrong but I think you are thinking of the Revelations. After the rapture. I don't remember the rapture happening yet and if it did I belive I would not be here right now. Again I could be wrong, but I will look it up.

Its design to collect dust from the sun to understand the forming of our solar system. It's the same dust is found in every almost every astroid that hit Earth.

Actually Odie it was meant to collect solar wind ( :waaaa: ) but if it had its collector up and flew though some cometary material (or asteroidal) then those particles did NOT BURN UP in the atmosphere as they usually do, any organic particles it may have picked up were given a protected ride down to Earth impact. :wacko:

Lets hope that there is not enough material or parts per million to cause problems.

Yeah i saw that on the news as well,bit of a bummer the thing crashed into the ground they spend millions of dollars building that thing and crashes cuz the shute's didnt open :wacko: ...and they wasted alot of money hiring hollywood stunt pilots to catch the thing in free fall.

It's a very sad scientific loss to be sure but I don't believe it has anything at all to do with the Bible.