Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Wrath of Khan v Star Wars

In the 1970s Fox released a film directed by George Lucas known as Star Wars. It was an action adventure movie that grossed millions and helped to convince Paramount that a Star Trek film might be a commercial success. In 1979 Star Trek: The Motion Picture was released but had more of a ponderous theme closer to 2001 than Star Wars. The film was a success but it wasn't until the second Star Trek film that any link between the style of Wars and Trek was evident.

So the question is, which of the two action films (Star Wars and The Wrath of Khan) do you prefer? Which is better not just on an action level but as a whole?

That's a tough question. I love both of those movies. Actually I haven't seen the first Star Wars movie in quite a while..And seeing how much I am into Trek I have to say that TWOK is much better..

For one thing in Star Wars we are introduced to a set of new characters..But in TWOK we have the original crew of Star Trek..Whom we know so well..I like the action in TWOK better as well..Then we have the bad guys..Khan vs Vader..Definately Khan is the better villain IMO..

Not fair....lol TWOK is mt fav all time ST film but ..and it pains me to say this but TWOK will always take a back seat to starwars with me :laugh:

TWOK is a great movie but I don't even have to think twice, I love the Star Wars movies too much. Star Wars all the way. :laugh:

That is diffucult question to ask and somewhat unfare. I like both movies. Each has quilties that I like. I would have to for TWOK is the best. I normally don't compare Star Wars to Star Trek, because they two different to compare and they both stand up as being good sc-fi.

I actually saw the Star Wars Trilogy before I saw any of the Star Trek movies when I was younger...And I don't know if I'm just being bias but TWOK was definitely more enjoyable as a whole to watch than all three SW movies back then and even now.

:)

Well my choice would be The Wrath of Khan. Star Wars is a good action film and the quick cutting along the lines of the early b-movies is interesting. However, overall TWOK (as I will call it from now on) has a much more intelligent script with several references to classical works that do not seem contrived and nicely mirror the plot.

In TWOK (see I told you I would call it that) we do not get the 'big weapon', which does seem very Flash Gordon, but an instrument of peace and progress manipulated by those with different perspectives and ambitions. In this sense it is Star Trek that parallels modern society and seems more relevant that the action based Star Wars, which only appeals on that one level. Having said that TWOK does have its fair bit of action and in fact I happen to prefer it, but it also manages to interweave philosophical subject matters as well.

I don't watch Star Wars much... actually, I've only watched 5 Star Wars movies. They are all good but my first love is still Star Trek and my vote goes to TWOK.

TWOK is like a great Naval Submarine War movie and I've also always love those old WW2 movies with big ships and submarines trying sink one another, with destroyers dumping depth charges into the sea snd I'll be sitting at the edge eating chips. Yeah TWOK all the way.

Khan is also a better villian. At least there aren't any "superpowers" like the force. Well, he's more believable.

All in my opinion. :)