Sign in to follow this  
Rivendells_king

The olympics are so depressing

:naughty: Sorry if I spelled the topic wrong but get over it.

The olympics are so depressing. You see people who look better than you and are better than you and people are obbsesed with them 2

I'm certainly not obsessed with the Olympics, it's nice to see the world pretend to get along for a couple of weeks but I couldn't care less who wins what. Now if that gold metal had a chocolate center then I could understand what all the fuss is about. :naughty:

they kind of tick me off because it's just glorified sports.... What's the big deal? The modern olympics are so tainted with pride, arrogance, cheating, drug abuse, and bias.

I don't care about the olympics because it's little more then glorified sports like WEAREBORG4102 said, that and it's only a mere shadow of it's past self. There's basically more emphasis on winning then there is on the values and principles the olympics was founded upon, which is quite a difference from the Special Olympics (i think i got that right).

Yeah...they have been on here because my sisters are watching them...but other then little bits here and there I really don't care that much for most of it. Especially when you see people like that swimmer who's all crushed because he now knows he can't win 8 golds...the couple he's already got aren't good enough for him....then to top it off in alot of those things seem to be rigged so they already know who's gonna win....so it seems why bother?

There...had my little rant...so I'll stop now...

The meaning behind the Olympics are gone. Its really sad what happen to the games. :naughty: There is too much money that is given to thise whe win the gold. People who are in poorer countries don't stand a change in winning a medal.

I like watching the Olympics. I like the Winter ones better than the Summer, but the Summer ones are interesting too. Except for the fact that Canada is really sucking... :clap: . What's with that? Oh well. But yeah I think they are interesting.

And in 2010 the Winter Olympics are in Vancouver so I already have a road trip planned for then. Gonna watch the hockey hardcore! Lol.

I guess we don't have many fans of the olympics here. Pity. I just saw Paul Homns winning moment and that is the best thing I have ever seen in Olympic history. And yes, I love the Olympics.

I guess we don't have many fans of the olympics here.  Pity.  I just saw Paul Homns winning moment and that is the best thing I have ever seen in Olympic history.  And yes, I love the Olympics.

252781[/snapback]

Yes, I saw it. It was a special moment. I am disappointed that the games are reduce down to how much money the athletes can get for winning gold medal. I even question the selection process when the committee picks the cities to hosts the city. Today a city has to spend billions of dollars the just to host the event that lasts a few days. Not everyone in the world can't even see or hear the games. Those who are in poor countries have very little hope of winning their event. Maybe they have the true sprint of the Olympics, which is lost to many.

I think the only thing from the olympics i have seen is womens beach volley ball i am a big follower of the sport :clap::bow:

I get to watch the Olympics on the bus home from school everyday -- if I can time myself properly, I can get one just as the badminton events are ending, so I can see who wins =D

Just watched Ronald Susilo -- he's a Singaporean shuttler -- lose to a Thai dude. Saaddd. But I reckon the Olympics are fun, they've got quite a bit of coverage here, more than half of Prime Time's reserved for the Olympics. :clap:

I think the only thing from the olympics i have seen is womens beach volley ball i am a big follower of the sport :clap:  :bow:

252810[/snapback]

All the boys on the tug where watching that event. They where yelling at the T.V., because of bad camera angles. :) :)

I think the only thing from the olympics i have seen is womens beach volley ball i am a big follower of the sport :clap:  :bow:

252810[/snapback]

All the boys on the tug where watching that event. They where yelling at the T.V., because of bad camera angles. :hug: :)

252827[/snapback]

LMAO i know my neck is still hurting after watching it :)

No the Olympics aren't depressing it is only during those 2 weeks that everyone in the World gets together ("every 2 years the Summer and the Winter") and i 've managed to see alittle bit of when i get home in total i've seen some of the Men's Swimming-Diving-and last night the Men's Gymnastics. :hammer::laugh::laugh::laugh:

and the Opening Ceremonies of The Olympics

I agree, the glory of just being there and winning a medal, any medal, seems to be gone. The press seems to focus only on the gold medals, as if the silver and bronze are symbolic of failure.

The meaning behind the Olympics are gone.  Its really sad what happen to the games.  :dude:  There is too much money that is given to thise whe win the gold.  People who are in poorer countries don't stand a change in winning a medal.

252411[/snapback]

Have you seen the seats? There is hardly anybody there.

252939[/snapback]

even the thorpe vs Phelps match was 1/2 empty. No one is showing up at the games.

While I found the opening ceremonies strange, I loved the part where the athletes from all the nations walked in. There were some nations out there, many of the poor ones for which many here have expressed concern, who sent only one, two , three or ten athletes, who were thrilled to take part.

They are not drawn by the fact that they are not likely win. They are drawn for the chance to compete, to be a part. Some of them would never have had the opportunity to visit another country without taking part in sports in their countries. And they are their country's best, and strive for their country. Do you think people stop trying because they are not rich and do not have all the advantages?

I have been watching some of it, and there are athletes at every Olympics who are the first from their nation to win an Olympic medal.

I do not listen much to the commentators, beyond the information they give about the competitors. I enjoyed the fact that there were all kinds of swimmers who made the finals in the various events, many the first from their nations ever to make a swimming final. I don't care if the the commentator makes the comment, after noting that someone is the first from their nation to get this far, "they won't win though."

Instead, I speculate. I wonder if he/she is an "only', or if his/her country is building their swimming program. Let me watch and see what he/she does.

In other words, I don't let the media, greed, commentators, whoever, destroy for me what is good about the Olympics.

What is good is that young people have dedicated their lives to the perfecting of some skill and are going to put it to the test against people from around the world. Yes there is difficulty with cheating. I teach college students...I have problems with student cheating, but student learning is the focus...and still goes on! Competition in sports still goes on.

I am glad for those who accomplished their goals. The ones who did not still have a life. I remember years ago an interview with Kristi Yamaguchi the day before her Olympic final in women's figure skating. She stated that she had worked so hard for this, but that she had plans whether she won or lost. I remember the Tanzanian marathon runner, John Steven Aguierre (sp?) who was the last to finish his race, who told the interviewer who wanted to know why he kept on after he had already lost the race, that he was sent by his country to finish the race. Michael Phelps gave up his place on the 400 medley relay to Ian Crocker. Phelps would get another medal if the relay won whether he swam or not, but Crocker' s only chance for a medal would be if he was on the team.

I do not care if the media never tells another story of someone's perseverence to the end, or unselfish gestures. I admire the young people striving for greatness, however they define greatness, and I am able to enjoy their successes and failures within this little block of time allotted to the Olympics.

If you only focus on what is wrong, you will miss a lot in life, because most things don't go off without a hitch, and we human beings are flawed. If you let the media be you eyes, you are going to have poor vision.

I plan to continue to watch bits and pieces of the Olympics, and to enjoy the competiton, and be glad for the winners, as well as the other competitors. I will enjoy the fact that these young people are from around the world, and there are not guns intheir hands, but batons, shotputs, high bars, basketballs, tennis rackets, badminton rackets, table tennis paddles, barbells, boxing gloves, etc.

Is it true that they're setting the age maximum for the next olympics to 23?

Is it true that they're setting the age maximum for the next olympics to 23?

254000[/snapback]

If they are, than Phelps would still qualify. I really hope not, not after someone like Carly Patterson wins gold, which was really special.

I happened to see this on CNN or CNN headline news, but there was a story that the Greek Sprinting team coach was storing enhancing drugs in a storage garage, just thought that was interesting (more pathetic then anything really though).

Ya know, Afghanistan and Iraq did something this year they have never done in their histories respectively of Olympic competition. They sent women. here in the US, that may not sound like much, but to the women who competed from those countries, it was something special. the regimes in power during previous Olympics (Hussien in Iraq and the Taliban in Afghanistan), did not allow women to do sporting events.

I don't like the olympics. They're pre-empting alot of my TV shows! I won't get to see a new Conan for weeks! :laugh:

seatrooper.jpg

I love watching the olympics. We have won a few gold a smattering of silver and the same goes for bronze. I am glad they have something for the hard work and dedication, especially when I live in a country that has for 60million people + only 20 olympic sized swimming poos nad limited facilities.

I am glad all rich or poor have had an opportunity to compete on this level and does anyone find it ironic that when the highly paid tennis professionals reach the olympics they always get beat in the first stages and t amatures???

I have been watching the badmington, I used to play at grass roots levels and was pretty good. It is a hard game and you have to hae strategic skills, but it is also fun.

I don't like the olympics. They're pre-empting alot of my TV shows! I won't get to see a new Conan for weeks! :laugh:

seatrooper.jpg

254378[/snapback]

Just be glad the Olympics is on every four years. You are not miss anything on Conan for the next week. Its almost over.

I love watching the olympics. We have won a few gold a smattering of silver and the same goes for bronze. I am glad they have something for the hard work and dedication, especially when I live in a country that has for 60million people + only 20 olympic sized swimming poos nad limited facilities.

I am glad all rich or poor have had an opportunity to  compete on this level and does anyone find it ironic that when the highly paid tennis professionals  reach the olympics they always get beat in the first stages and t amatures???

I have been watching the badmington, I used to play at grass roots levels and was pretty good. It is a hard game and you have to hae strategic skills, but it is also fun.

254382[/snapback]

Also, I think they were giving a lot of thier guys (Leno and Conan) time off. You probably havn't been missing anything.